OneDnD Armaments, replacing equipment with more interesting options.

mellored

Adventurer
Class now comes with Armaments. These represents both the weapons and armor you have, as well as the training you have with them. Default flavor is given, but can be adjusted by the player (i.e. metal armor might be wood).

You can only have 1 armaments active at a time, and they don't stack. If you have access to multiple armaments (multiclass) you can change as part of a short rest.

Magic items work as normal, giving out +1 to hit or whatever. The DM may need to adjust the flavor of them a bit to match the flavor of the characters armor.

War Paladin: 18 AC, 1d12 melee, 1d6 range (30/60), disadvantage on stealth

Protection Paladin: 20 AC, 1d8 melee, disadvantage on stealth. Can use a reaction to give disadvantage.

Peace Paladin: 16 AC, 1d4 melee or range (non-leathal), can cast sanctuary at will.

Dragon Paladin: 17 AC, 1d10 damage, 1d6 damage in a cone. resistance to your dragons element.

Blood Paladin: 15 AC, 1d8 damage. Gain THP equal to the damage dealt.

Fighter: you can swap armament as a bonus action. Choose 2 of the following, getting additional choices at...
Range: 16 AC, 1d8 (100/200), ignore partial cover.
Slayer: 17 AC, 2d6 melee
Juggernaut: 20 AC, 1d8 melee, movement speed is reduced by half.
Reach: 17 AC, 1d10 melee with +5' reach, you can attack as a reaction when someone comes into range.
Skirmish: 18 AC, 1d8 melee or range (40/80), you do not provoke opportunity attacks.

Sorcerer: 15 AC, 1d4 melee or range, +1 to spell DCs and attacks.

Aberration wizard, 16AC, 1d4 melee or range, reduce all non-psychic damage by your proficiency modifier.

Blade singer: 18 AC, 1d8 melee, can attach as a bonus action after casting a non-cantrip spell.

*all numbers subject to change. These are just examples, with plenty of room to expand.

payn

Legend
Are these more interesting though? Seems a bit rock paper scissors. I'll have to think a bit on how i'd do it.

mellored

Adventurer
Are these more interesting though? Seems a bit rock paper scissors. I'll have to think a bit on how i'd do it.
Not sure I get what you mean by rock/paper/scissors.

Most of these are the same stats you would get if you took armor and weapons as normal.

But also allows for trading a point of AC for fire breath.
Or maybe some damage for saving throws.
Or really any other feature that needs a few tradeoffs to balance.

payn

Legend
Not sure I get what you mean by rock/paper/scissors.

Most of these are the same stats you would get if you took armor and weapons as normal.

But also allows for trading a point of AC for fire breath.
Or maybe some damage for saving throws.
Or really any other feature that needs a few tradeoffs to balance.
Thats kind of what I mean. Trade an AC point for fire breath allows you to be strong in something, but weaker somewhere else for it. A simplified take on the concept. In 5E im not really sure what items give you better saving throws or fire breath though? How does this work with BA?

mellored

Adventurer
Thats kind of what I mean. Trade an AC point for fire breath allows you to be strong in something, but weaker somewhere else for it. A simplified take on the concept. In 5E im not really sure what items give you better saving throws or fire breath though? How does this work with BA?
Being strong in something and weaker at something else is kinda a core mechanism of D&D. Different characters get different strengths and weaknesses.

I.e. Paladins have higher AC and lower spells. While wizards have lower AC and higher spells.

The 'item' is that dragon Paladin "gained a set of armor made from the scales of the dragon they follow and a weapon made from it's tooth". Or maybe "has their skin transformed into dragon scales and hands into claws" or whatever you want to imagine.

As far as BA, nothing changes.

A current fighter in plate with a greatsword has 18AC and does 2d6 damage.
A Slayer armament fighter has 18AC and does 2d6 damage, and looks however he wants.

Same stats, just without the equipment chart. And more flexibility with what to can do with it.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Class now comes with Armaments. These represents both the weapons and armor you have, as well as the training you have with them. Default flavor is given, but can be adjusted by the player (i.e. metal armor might be wood).

You can only have 1 armaments active at a time, and they don't stack. If you have access to multiple armaments (multiclass) you can change as part of a short rest.

Magic items work as normal, giving out +1 to hit or whatever. The DM may need to adjust the flavor of them a bit to match the flavor of the characters armor.

War Paladin: 18 AC, 1d12 melee, 1d6 range (30/60), disadvantage on stealth

Protection Paladin: 20 AC, 1d8 melee, disadvantage on stealth. Can use a reaction to give disadvantage.

Peace Paladin: 16 AC, 1d4 melee or range (non-leathal), can cast sanctuary at will.

Dragon Paladin: 17 AC, 1d10 damage, 1d6 damage in a cone. resistance to your dragons element.

Blood Paladin: 15 AC, 1d8 damage. Gain THP equal to the damage dealt.

Fighter: you can swap armament as a bonus action. Choose 2 of the following, getting additional choices at...
Range: 16 AC, 1d8 (100/200), ignore partial cover.
Slayer: 17 AC, 2d6 melee
Juggernaut: 20 AC, 1d8 melee, movement speed is reduced by half.
Reach: 17 AC, 1d10 melee with +5' reach, you can attack as a reaction when someone comes into range.
Skirmish: 18 AC, 1d8 melee or range (40/80), you do not provoke opportunity attacks.

Sorcerer: 15 AC, 1d4 melee or range, +1 to spell DCs and attacks.

Aberration wizard, 16AC, 1d4 melee or range, reduce all non-psychic damage by your proficiency modifier.

Blade singer: 18 AC, 1d8 melee, can attach as a bonus action after casting a non-cantrip spell.

*all numbers subject to change. These are just examples, with plenty of room to expand.
This kind of thing can work in a game like fate where you have compels backed by fractalizing aspects but d&d has nothing like that and the suggestion is even looser than what little limitations get imposed by d&d's own weapons. You only need to think for a moment about hammerspace & hyperspace arsenals combined with all the times we've all heard a player say they want to cast a spell but speak the verbal component quietly under their breath or do the somatic component discretely to see how it sets the GM up for a similar catch22 situation attempting to enforce the areas not even hinted at in the OP. Thst doesn't even get into the suggestions themselves.

I think it's a fabulous idea in principle. One of D&D's great incongruities is its emphasis on detailed equipment lists and mechanics while relying on MASSIVELY abstract concepts like hit points as core mechanics. In general I think it would be improved by embracing abstraction in more areas.

mellored

Adventurer
the suggestion is even looser than what little limitations get imposed by d&d's own weapons. You only need to think for a moment about hammerspace & hyperspace arsenals combined with all the times we've all heard a player say they want to cast a spell but speak the verbal component quietly under their breath or do the somatic component discretely to see how it sets the GM up for a similar catch22 situation attempting to enforce the areas not even hinted at in the OP. Thst doesn't even get into the suggestions themselves.
Are you talking about encumbrance? Easy enough to add weight to these. Could also add ammunition as well if you really want. Again, this is the same as if you took the equipment, but without having to go though the chart.

Or do you mean letting the player describe how their armor looks?

To paraphrase the artificer...

When describing your armaments, think about how they represent the effects. Such details don't limit you in any way or provide you with any benefit beyond the stated effects. You don't have to justify how you're using them to attack. But describing your armaments creatively is a fun way to distinguish yourself.

Edit: ok, shocking grasp will need to be a Dex save. But I think that is the only effect that checks armor.

Last edited:

Horwath

Hero
While I hate this idea for my PC in character creation, I believe that this would be great for creating NPCs on the fly and creating 1st level PCs for new players that are just barged in into game and didn't have time to read PHB and create elaborate characters.
Also a good fix for players if their character dies and they need new PC ASAP.

mellored

Adventurer
While I hate this idea for my PC in character creation, I believe that this would be great for creating NPCs on the fly and creating 1st level PCs for new players that are just barged in into game and didn't have time to read PHB and create elaborate characters.
Also a good fix for players if their character dies and they need new PC ASAP.
Any particular reason you hate it?

Horwath

Hero
Any particular reason you hate it?
it's too limiting for players.

Why do you need short rest for changing weapons?
Why only fighter can do it in bonus action? Does fighter have magic fullplate that instantly removes/dones itself?
Do other classes have weapons welded to their arms so they need short rest to change them?

what if my character has a polearm, a longbow and sword+shield?
how long does it take to go from one set to another?
let's say that my character is ranger.

As I said, I really like the idea for fast NPC/army creation.

mellored

Adventurer
Why do you need short rest for changing weapons?
You can change between your melee and ranged at will.

Might not of been clear, but I intended for barbarians to have great axe and throwing axes. Monks would have unarmed attacks and ninja stars (?). Ranger could have 2 short sword and a long bow. Etc...
Why only fighter can do it in bonus action? Does fighter have magic fullplate that instantly removes/dones itself?
Could be 5 minutes instead of a short rest i guess. But I was trying to give the fighter something that let them be better at weapons and armor than anyone else. They also have more ways to build them.
Do other classes have weapons welded to their arms so they need short rest to change them?
I expect they have anything beyond a melee and ranged weapon in their bag. Having 5+ weapons ready to draw at a moments notice seems like it would get things tangled up.
what if my character has a polearm, a longbow and sword+shield?
how long does it take to go from one set to another?
let's say that my character is ranger.
I've never seen anyone do that. Especially with fighting style, feats, and a magic weapon. People pick one weapon to be good at, and maybe have a back up. If you take crossbow expert, you never considered at another weapon against.

But again, switching between bow to 2-weapons (which is the iconic ranger) is free.
As I said, I really like the idea for fast NPC/army creation.
Thanks

Lojaan

Adventurer
I think I get what you are going for, but it feels a bit too computer gamey for me. Not saying it is a bad idea, just saying that it interrupts my immersion. I fee like I am not playing a person, I'm playing a game avatar.

Which, ironically, I am, but it doesn't feel good to be reminded of that.

It's like saying we have removed all food and drink from the game because a player's character does not need to interact with them to do the adventure. It would be most likely have no impact on the actual game but it would still feel.... off. Sometimes we need those little, irrelevant things, in order to slowly step into character.

mellored

Adventurer
I think I get what you are going for, but it feels a bit too computer gamey for me. Not saying it is a bad idea, just saying that it interrupts my immersion. I fee like I am not playing a person, I'm playing a game avatar.

Which, ironically, I am, but it doesn't feel good to be reminded of that.

It's like saying we have removed all food and drink from the game because a player's character does not need to interact with them to do the adventure. It would be most likely have no impact on the actual game but it would still feel.... off. Sometimes we need those little, irrelevant things, in order to slowly step into character.
You don't have separate rules for orange juice, bread, pizzas, cheese, walnuts, etc.. and expect people to buy their rations, and can end up with a -1 because they didn't balance their diet correctly.

Just X days worth of food. The rest is up to the player's imagination.

Similarly, rogues can do 1d6 weapon damage. And not get penalized if they want to use a blow gun instead of a shortbow, or dagger instead of a rapier.

You don't have separate rules for orange juice, bread, pizzas, cheese, walnuts, etc.. and expect people to buy their rations, and can end up with a -1 because they didn't balance their diet correctly.

Just X days worth of food. The rest is up to the player's imagination.

Similarly, rogues can do 1d6 weapon damage. And not get penalized if they want to use a blow gun instead of a shortbow, or dagger instead of a rapier.
Possible rule "Weapons - When using a two-handed weapon you do base damage equal to the size of the largest hit dice you have from a class that can use that weapon. When using a one handed weapon you use dice that are one step smaller. Apply stat bonunses as usual."
Thus Wizards do 1d4 with a Dagger, but Rogues do 1d6, Fighters do 1d8 and Barbarians do 1d10?

Horwath

Hero
Possible rule "Weapons - When using a two-handed weapon you do base damage equal to the size of the largest hit dice you have from a class that can use that weapon. When using a one handed weapon you use dice that are one step smaller. Apply stat bonunses as usual."
Thus Wizards do 1d4 with a Dagger, but Rogues do 1d6, Fighters do 1d8 and Barbarians do 1d10?
why would anyone give up +2 AC from a shield for pathetic +1 damage from a 2Handed weapon.

2Handed weapons need 2 or probably 3 dice increase over 1Handed weapons.

mellored

Adventurer
All the numbers I suggest are the same as if you bought items. Didn't want to change the math.

It's just faster, less to track, can do more things, and allows for players to flavor things themselves.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4