D&D (2024) Armaments, replacing equipment with more interesting options.

mellored

Legend
Class now comes with Armaments. These represents both the weapons and armor you have, as well as the training you have with them. Default flavor is given, but can be adjusted by the player (i.e. metal armor might be wood).

You can only have 1 armaments active at a time, and they don't stack. If you have access to multiple armaments (multiclass) you can change as part of a short rest.

Magic items work as normal, giving out +1 to hit or whatever. The DM may need to adjust the flavor of them a bit to match the flavor of the characters armor.

War Paladin: 18 AC, 1d12 melee, 1d6 range (30/60), disadvantage on stealth

Protection Paladin: 20 AC, 1d8 melee, disadvantage on stealth. Can use a reaction to give disadvantage.

Peace Paladin: 16 AC, 1d4 melee or range (non-leathal), can cast sanctuary at will.

Dragon Paladin: 17 AC, 1d10 damage, 1d6 damage in a cone. resistance to your dragons element.

Blood Paladin: 15 AC, 1d8 damage. Gain THP equal to the damage dealt.

Fighter: you can swap armament as a bonus action. Choose 2 of the following, getting additional choices at...
Range: 16 AC, 1d8 (100/200), ignore partial cover.
Slayer: 17 AC, 2d6 melee
Juggernaut: 20 AC, 1d8 melee, movement speed is reduced by half.
Reach: 17 AC, 1d10 melee with +5' reach, you can attack as a reaction when someone comes into range.
Skirmish: 18 AC, 1d8 melee or range (40/80), you do not provoke opportunity attacks.

Sorcerer: 15 AC, 1d4 melee or range, +1 to spell DCs and attacks.

Aberration wizard, 16AC, 1d4 melee or range, reduce all non-psychic damage by your proficiency modifier.

Blade singer: 18 AC, 1d8 melee, can attach as a bonus action after casting a non-cantrip spell.

*all numbers subject to change. These are just examples, with plenty of room to expand.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Are these more interesting though? Seems a bit rock paper scissors. I'll have to think a bit on how i'd do it.

mellored

Legend
Are these more interesting though? Seems a bit rock paper scissors. I'll have to think a bit on how i'd do it.
Not sure I get what you mean by rock/paper/scissors.

Most of these are the same stats you would get if you took armor and weapons as normal.

But also allows for trading a point of AC for fire breath.
Or maybe some damage for saving throws.
Or really any other feature that needs a few tradeoffs to balance.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Not sure I get what you mean by rock/paper/scissors.

Most of these are the same stats you would get if you took armor and weapons as normal.

But also allows for trading a point of AC for fire breath.
Or maybe some damage for saving throws.
Or really any other feature that needs a few tradeoffs to balance.
Thats kind of what I mean. Trade an AC point for fire breath allows you to be strong in something, but weaker somewhere else for it. A simplified take on the concept. In 5E im not really sure what items give you better saving throws or fire breath though? How does this work with BA?

mellored

Legend
Thats kind of what I mean. Trade an AC point for fire breath allows you to be strong in something, but weaker somewhere else for it. A simplified take on the concept. In 5E im not really sure what items give you better saving throws or fire breath though? How does this work with BA?
Being strong in something and weaker at something else is kinda a core mechanism of D&D. Different characters get different strengths and weaknesses.

I.e. Paladins have higher AC and lower spells. While wizards have lower AC and higher spells.

The 'item' is that dragon Paladin "gained a set of armor made from the scales of the dragon they follow and a weapon made from it's tooth". Or maybe "has their skin transformed into dragon scales and hands into claws" or whatever you want to imagine.

As far as BA, nothing changes.

A current fighter in plate with a greatsword has 18AC and does 2d6 damage.
A Slayer armament fighter has 18AC and does 2d6 damage, and looks however he wants.

Same stats, just without the equipment chart. And more flexibility with what to can do with it.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Class now comes with Armaments. These represents both the weapons and armor you have, as well as the training you have with them. Default flavor is given, but can be adjusted by the player (i.e. metal armor might be wood).

You can only have 1 armaments active at a time, and they don't stack. If you have access to multiple armaments (multiclass) you can change as part of a short rest.

Magic items work as normal, giving out +1 to hit or whatever. The DM may need to adjust the flavor of them a bit to match the flavor of the characters armor.

War Paladin: 18 AC, 1d12 melee, 1d6 range (30/60), disadvantage on stealth

Protection Paladin: 20 AC, 1d8 melee, disadvantage on stealth. Can use a reaction to give disadvantage.

Peace Paladin: 16 AC, 1d4 melee or range (non-leathal), can cast sanctuary at will.

Dragon Paladin: 17 AC, 1d10 damage, 1d6 damage in a cone. resistance to your dragons element.

Blood Paladin: 15 AC, 1d8 damage. Gain THP equal to the damage dealt.

Fighter: you can swap armament as a bonus action. Choose 2 of the following, getting additional choices at...
Range: 16 AC, 1d8 (100/200), ignore partial cover.
Slayer: 17 AC, 2d6 melee
Juggernaut: 20 AC, 1d8 melee, movement speed is reduced by half.
Reach: 17 AC, 1d10 melee with +5' reach, you can attack as a reaction when someone comes into range.
Skirmish: 18 AC, 1d8 melee or range (40/80), you do not provoke opportunity attacks.

Sorcerer: 15 AC, 1d4 melee or range, +1 to spell DCs and attacks.

Aberration wizard, 16AC, 1d4 melee or range, reduce all non-psychic damage by your proficiency modifier.

Blade singer: 18 AC, 1d8 melee, can attach as a bonus action after casting a non-cantrip spell.

*all numbers subject to change. These are just examples, with plenty of room to expand.
This kind of thing can work in a game like fate where you have compels backed by fractalizing aspects but d&d has nothing like that and the suggestion is even looser than what little limitations get imposed by d&d's own weapons. You only need to think for a moment about hammerspace & hyperspace arsenals combined with all the times we've all heard a player say they want to cast a spell but speak the verbal component quietly under their breath or do the somatic component discretely to see how it sets the GM up for a similar catch22 situation attempting to enforce the areas not even hinted at in the OP. Thst doesn't even get into the suggestions themselves.

I think it's a fabulous idea in principle. One of D&D's great incongruities is its emphasis on detailed equipment lists and mechanics while relying on MASSIVELY abstract concepts like hit points as core mechanics. In general I think it would be improved by embracing abstraction in more areas.

mellored

Legend
the suggestion is even looser than what little limitations get imposed by d&d's own weapons. You only need to think for a moment about hammerspace & hyperspace arsenals combined with all the times we've all heard a player say they want to cast a spell but speak the verbal component quietly under their breath or do the somatic component discretely to see how it sets the GM up for a similar catch22 situation attempting to enforce the areas not even hinted at in the OP. Thst doesn't even get into the suggestions themselves.
Are you talking about encumbrance? Easy enough to add weight to these. Could also add ammunition as well if you really want. Again, this is the same as if you took the equipment, but without having to go though the chart.

Or do you mean letting the player describe how their armor looks?

To paraphrase the artificer...

When describing your armaments, think about how they represent the effects. Such details don't limit you in any way or provide you with any benefit beyond the stated effects. You don't have to justify how you're using them to attack. But describing your armaments creatively is a fun way to distinguish yourself.

Edit: ok, shocking grasp will need to be a Dex save. But I think that is the only effect that checks armor.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
While I hate this idea for my PC in character creation, I believe that this would be great for creating NPCs on the fly and creating 1st level PCs for new players that are just barged in into game and didn't have time to read PHB and create elaborate characters.
Also a good fix for players if their character dies and they need new PC ASAP.

mellored

Legend
While I hate this idea for my PC in character creation, I believe that this would be great for creating NPCs on the fly and creating 1st level PCs for new players that are just barged in into game and didn't have time to read PHB and create elaborate characters.
Also a good fix for players if their character dies and they need new PC ASAP.
Any particular reason you hate it?

Remove ads