D&D (2024) Armor in the AC part of statblock

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Does anyone use this? More than a time or two per campaign? Why do we care why an AC is what it is? In the statblock of monsters, that is.

I can't recall ever caring as a player or DM (in 5e).

Remathilis

Legend
Does anyone use this? More than a time or two per campaign? Why do we care why an AC is what it is? In the statblock of monsters, that is.

I can't recall ever caring as a player or DM (in 5e).
I care.

Armor class 17 doesn't tell me enough. Is it due to half-plate, tough skin, high dexterity and training, a shield, magic, or some combination of the above? Further, certain magic (heat metal, dispel magic) requires knowledge of how the AC is determined.

I don't need 3e style breakdowns, but I want better than "AC 17, because that's what a monster of that level should have"

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I care.

Armor class 17 doesn't tell me enough. Is it due to half-plate, tough skin, high dexterity and training, a shield, magic, or some combination of the above? Further, certain magic (heat metal, dispel magic) requires knowledge of how the AC is determined.

I don't need 3e style breakdowns, but I want better than "AC 17, because that's what a monster of that level should have"
Other than something like the magic, what do you use that information for? I'm genuinely curious here, no judgement.

Other than something like the magic, what do you use that information for? I'm genuinely curious here, no judgement.
I use it for the narrative. Dextrous creatures get missed more often and armored creatures more often soak the glancing blows. Shields also come into the narrative. It helps narrate differences in fights so combatants aren't just sacks of HP whacking each other. The storytelling making sense helps with the fun.

dave2008

Legend
I am not @Remathilis, but I like to be able to describe the people/monsters the PC are facing. The armor description help with that. Additionally, it is a bit of lore that helps me roleplay the person/monster.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Its useful because I need to know ''how'' they attain that AC if I want to change their armor type.
To buff certain creatures, I tend to give them better equipment.
Why not just add 2 to the AC? Do your players know they wear different armor all that often?

I mean, all the numbers are arbitrary at some level. Again, no judging, just curious why you just don't change the number.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Players can ambush sleeping enemies who are not wearing their usual armor, or mind control them and make them remove their shield, or cast Heat Metal, or cast Shocking Grasp that has advantage if the target wears metal armor, or Dispel Magic if it's a Mage Armor, etc.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Why not just add 2 to the AC? Do your players know they wear different armor all that often?

I mean, all the numbers are arbitrary at some level. Again, no judging, just curious why you just don't change the number.
Some of my players are scavengers, they will want to loot pieces of armor.

And there's the description: it helps to notify the player that that goblin in chainmail or orc in full pate isnt your average foe.

Its the same thing with weapons. Why do they need to tell me what weapons the goblins is using? Just tell me the damage they deal.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Players can ambush sleeping enemies who are not wearing their usual armor, or mind control them and make them remove their shield, or cast Heat Metal, or cast Shocking Grasp that has advantage if the target wears metal armor, or Dispel Magic if it's a Mage Armor, etc.
thanks!

Remove ads