Armor

drowdude

First Post
The primary change here is to the armor bonus the various armor types provide. There is also the addtion of Ring Mail and Improved Mail to the list of available armor.

Armor Type Armor Bonus

Light Armor

Padded +1
Leather +2
Cord Armor * +2
Bone Armor * +3
Studded Leather +3
Ashigaru Armor * +3
Leather Scale * +3
Light Hide ** +3
Chain Shirt +4
Ring Mail +5

Medium Armor

Hide +5
Dhenuka * +6
Brigandine * +6
Scale Mail +6
Partial Armor * +6
Chain Mail +7
Breast Plate +7
Lamellar * +7

Heavy Armor

Splint Mail +8
Banded Mail +8
Improved Mail +8
Half-Plate +9
Great Armor * +9
Full Plate +10

Shields

Buckler +1
Small Shield +2
Large Shield +3

* Armor types found in Oriental Adventures by WotC.
** Armor types found in Rokugan by AEG.

Armor Type Cost Armor Bonus Max Dex Bonus ACP ASF WT

Light Armor

Ring Mail 200 gp +5 +3 -3 25% 30 pnds.

Heavy Armor

Improved Mail 500 gp +8 +2 -6 35% 50 pnds.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
neat ...

I did a big list of armor (in doc format ... doesn't convert real well) ...

except I used Dragonlords of Melnibone instead of Rokugan (did use OA and PHB)

okay I'll bite, why'd you up the armor bonus? Did it make it possible to create a more flavor and differences?

Last edited:

drowdude

First Post
Wolf72 said:
neat ...

I did a big list of armor (in doc format ... doesn't convert real well) ...

except for me I used Dragonlords of Melnibone instead of Rokugan (did use OA and PHB)

Dragonlords eh? I have that one... maybe I should give it a once-over.....

Wolf72 said:

okay I'll bite, why'd you up the armor bonus? Did it make it possible to create a more flavor and differences?

Basically over time we came to the conclusion that medium and heavy armor wasnt as good as it should be.

The best example is, of course, the whole chain shirt versus chain mail issue.

Basically we wanted to make Medium and Heavy armor more useful in game terms. As it is, we only use it when it fits the flavor of the character.

Wolf72

Explorer
Sea Leather - gave this a -2 to swim rather than -3 (for weight) because of the description (roughly converts to 8gp ... way to cheap, maybe they missed a 0 and it should be 80 (was 100br ... perhaps should be 1000br))

Leather-Wood - gave this an additional -2 to swim because of description.

Melnibonean Plate +10 AC, +2 max dex, -4 armor check (converts to about 3,600 gp ... might as well add all are MW quality for another +150gp)

Pan what's its name plate I did not use as it's enchanted with all sorts of funky chaos stuff.

drowdude

First Post
Sea Leather has potential but should cost *ALOT* more.

Melnibonean Plate would be kewl, but it's a little hard to justify it's use outside of that setting.

Wolf72

Explorer
could belong to an dragon's hoard ...

or do you hae a race of ancient erudite type peoples? this could be their armor ... or even the only thing really left of their race.

or you could call it Ornate Plate armor and then even up the price more or make it the stuff of legends ...

not sure if I'll ever use it, mabye but not sure.

Or it could be: Solamnic Plate! (hey that might work ...)

drowdude

First Post
Hmmm.... or you could take the idea to the next step and create a non-magical "legendary" (or some-such) armor quality that mirrors the advances Melnibonean plate has over regular full-plate....

Let's see that would be a +2 bonus to the AC, a +1 bonus to the max Dex allowed, a 2 point reduction of the ACP, -15% to the arcane spell failure, & a 20% reduction in weight.

At an added cost of 3000 gp or so.

Tack on mithril and masterpeice (from WoT) and you get Full-Plate that gives +10 to AC, max dex of +4, ACP of 0, ASF of 10%, and weighs only 20 pounds at a cost of 13,800 gp. :eek:

That could be kinda kewl....not balanced at all... but kewl :p

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
sniff sniff, what's that?

curious,

could you give a run-down of masterpiece from WoT ... I don't plan on ever buying the book, but am curious in anything that helps out mundane equipment (other than magic).

hmm, I might head over to dragonlance nexus and see what they have for Solamnic plate and Dragon Army Scale.

drowdude

First Post
Masterpiece Weapons add +2 to hit at a cost of +600 gp.

Masterpiece Armor reduces the ACP by 2 at a cost of +300 gp.

Actually, I dont have the book either... but Barnes and Noble was kind enough to let me sit there and read it ;)

Wolf72

Explorer
good grief!

anyway lost what I was typing.

but that's it to masterpiece?

boring!

I mean it's as original as my wicked/cruel stuff ... which isn't because it's snipped from Dragonlords (the barbed spear)

Wicked/Cruel Weapons: Some cultures like to inflict maximum pain on their enemies ... who may have once been allies too. Wicked weapons are those that have been crafted with extra bits and pieces ... notches, spikes, heavier heads, barbs, curves, blood rivers, (use your imagination) ...
 To create a wicked weapon: DC 20 (or DC 23 if MW+Wicked), the cost is an additional +300gp.
 Wicked weapons gain a +1 on damage (a cruel weapon’s dmg bonus does not stack with magical enhancement)
 Wicked weapons only deal normal dmg, not subdual.
 Bows, crossbows, slings and other launchers may not be made wicked ... their ammunition may though.
 Double weapons must have each head crafted independently (same as MW weapons). Ammunition would cost 7gp per piece, or 14gp if MW also.

or chitinous armor from big vermin:

[edit: stoopid submit button ... so tempting!]

Chitin Armors: Made from the chitin of large vermin these armors when prepared properly can be extremely valuable. [yes, stacks w/MW]
 ½ weight
 Scale Mail, Breastplate, Half-Plate, or any Shield (buckler, small, large, tower).
 +400sp creation cost
 DC 23 to craft [ DC 20 for MW, +3 for ½ weight]
 MW quality (-1 armor check penalties)
 Size must be at least: category MEDIUM for small shield/buckler, LARGE for Scale Mail or Large Shield, HUGE for Breastplate, GARGANTUAN for Half-Plate or Tower Shield.
 Considered a Natural armor.
 +800gp
ARMOR COST AC MAX DEX. CHK SPELL F. SPEED 30/20 WGT
Chitin Scale Mail 1,000gp +4 +3 -3 25% full 15
Chitin Breastplate 1,150gp +5 +2 -3 25% full 15
Chitin Half-Plate 1,550gp +7 0 -6 40% 20/15 25
Chitin Buckler 965gp +1 0 5% 2.5
Chitin Sm. Shield 959gp +1 0 5% 3
Chitin Lg. Shield 970gp +2 -1 15% 7
Chitin Tw. Shield 980gp ** -9 50% 25

[edit2: sorry bout the table ... they always do that. And um ... sorry for hijacking your thread :) ... ]

Last edited:

Remove ads