D&D General Arneson's original notes to Gygax?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Considering all the "archaeology" that's going on with early D&D, I'm curious if anyone's come across the original notes Dave Arneson sent to Gary Gygax.

I wonder how playable the game presented in those notes would be.

Last edited:

I would think the first place to go would be Jon Peterson. He's done the most work of anyone in tracking down the original documents, and even if he doesn't have them, would be the most well informed as to whether they have surfaced at all. Barring him, the person I think would be most likely to know about such would be Mike Mornard, who has fallen off the face of the forum-verse since Covid.

Amongst locals, Rob K and Tim Kask might know something.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I would think the first place to go would be Jon Peterson. He's done the most work of anyone in tracking down the original documents, and even if he doesn't have them, would be the most well informed as to whether they have surfaced at all. Barring him, the person I think would be most likely to know about such would be Mike Mornard, who has fallen off the face of the forum-verse since Covid.

Amongst locals, Rob K and Tim Kask might know something.
Does Jon Peterson post here? Can someone tag him? Or tag the others?

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Frankly I'd be surprised. Having just read Mr. Peterson's excellent book on the creation and tragic downfall of the creators of D&D, it would seem like those would have been proffered as evidence by either party at some point during the legal battle between Anderson and TSR (either evidence that they were indeed a substantial contribution...or not).

Vaalingrade

Legend
I do believe there have been seneral drafts someone had excepted from.

Domesday is the name of one of them.
I hope that's not a typo and instead a plot where a giant dome descended from the sky to cut off the PCs' home town ala the Simpson's movie.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Does Jon Peterson post here? Can someone tag him? Or tag the others?

He posts here, but very occasionally. His handle is (I am not going to summon him) at increment , but he hasn't posted in nearly a year.

He is also on Twitter @docetist

There have been numerous claims about Arnesonian documents (referred to as manuscripts or transcripts at various times), most recently advanced by the various Blackmoor film documentary people, but AFAIK and IIRC the original notes that were sent to Gygax do not exist. Unfortunately, I am in quarantine right now and I can't grab my books to doublecheck.

Remove ads