D&D 5E Art in 5e...?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I don't think she's any more or less sexualized than usual. The image would definitely still fail the Hawkeye test.
I thought it looked cool before I had any inkling that the character was female. Isn't that pretty much a successful Hawkeye test?

It reminds me of this kind of pose:
300--12.jpg

(Maybe that's not such a great example, considering that entire movie looks like a failed Hawkeye test.)

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, the PHB might, under certain light, maybe might fail the Hawkeye test. It's not like the character is brokeback (showing bottom and top at the same time). Yeah, she's showing a bit of cleavage, but, sheesh, that's not exactly going to raise too many eyebrows.

The fact that a female character is laying the boots to a giant is a huge stride forward AFAIC.

Yeah, the PHB might, under certain light, maybe might fail the Hawkeye test.

How, exactly?

She's not dressed in a particularly provocative way. She's just fighting a monster. You could easily put a male character in her place and not significantly change the image.

People are getting far, far too sensitive about all this. You don't hear anybody complaining about the muscularity of male characters. Where does it say that an image of a pretty woman inherently makes it sexist?

Hussar

Legend
Well, the mini-skirt, garter belt holding up her boots might be a bit much. And the pose is such that it's pretty clearly emphasising her T&A. Again, it's not brokeback, but, it's close.

I mean, why is she wearing a fur lined bathing suit and thigh high CFM boots?

Obryn

Hero
Yeah, that actually looks practical to me, and I tend to err on the side of tastefulness and inclusiveness. She's not sexualized, she's kicking ass. In an active, rather than passive pose. You can tell she's female, but I'm seeing zero cleavage (or skin, for that matter).

I think the elf has dark, non-drow skin, too, but it's still kinda small on my tablet.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Well, the mini-skirt, garter belt holding up her boots might be a bit much. And the pose is such that it's pretty clearly emphasising her T&A. Again, it's not brokeback, but, it's close.

I mean, why is she wearing a fur lined bathing suit and thigh high CFM boots?

Are you kidding, or just exaggerating for effect? The hide armor she is wearing has straps. The "skirt", which looks like it's for pockets for material components, is OVER pants. Her "A" is completely covered by the "skirt" and her "T" is covered by not one but TWO layers of clothing. Literally the only skin you can see on her entire body is her face.

Last edited:

Libramarian

Adventurer
And whats with "the worlds greatest roleplaying game"? Is that their new catchphrase for the edition? Who does WotC think they will impress with that boast?

Yeah that's a bit weird.
It reminds me of this kind of pose:

That pose is different. The classic Hawkeye test-failing pose is all about twisting and tilting to show the butt and chest to the viewer at the same time.
You could easily put a male character in her place and not significantly change the image.
No, definitely not. I don't have the skill to do it myself but if you inserted Regdar into the picture in that pose he would look ridiculous.

I actually don't have anything against erotic fantasy art, even for D&D if that were possible. But I think this twisting pinup pose is kind of a dumb cliche at this point.

Remove ads