D&D 5E Art in 5e...?

shadow

First Post
pickin_grinnin said:
I hope they stay away from the cartoony or manga-ish style that so many games feature these days. That was the first negative thing (of many) that I spotted when the old World of Darkness was abandoned and the nWoD came out.

Admittedly, that is one thing that I never liked about Pathfinder. The art in all the books is very much 'comic book' style with everything really over the top. I guess some people like it, but I never cared for it.

Raith5

Adventurer
I am not a fan of static pictures of stiffly arranged figures. I really did not like the cover of the 4th ed players handbook for that reason. I really like art that portrays action, echoes the past of D&D but has some of the more modern gaming sensibilities. To this end I really like this picture

: 4egreendragon.jpg

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I really like art that portrays action, echoes the past of D&D but has some of the more modern gaming sensibilities. To this end I really like this picture

:View attachment 61587
I'm not sure what this means...What are the "more modern gaming sensibilities" in this image that you like...and think are "modern gaming sensibilities"?

I'm convinced that if that art had been on the cover of the 4e Player's Handbook, the game would have sold better.

I don't know...the "unicorn green dragon/what IS that tumor on it's snout?!" doesn't seem like quite the BEST cover image. But, perhaps, reasonably better than what was used.

Olfan

First Post
I joined the site just to respond to this forum. I personally love Jeff Easley's old school style. Over the top and heroic, yet still grounded in the Clark Ashton Smith-style pulp fiction that D&D is based on. I'd like to see more of that type of look in 5th edition, though I doubt they'll do that. Also, I'm a huge fan of Tony DiTerlizzi from the Planescape days. More of that weirdness would always be welcome.
Great red dragon.jpg

Raith5

Adventurer
I'm not sure what this means...What are the "more modern gaming sensibilities" in this image that you like...and think are "modern gaming sensibilities"?.

Good point. The picture doesnt have really have what I was thinking of with respect to more modern gaming stuff like non- Tolkein races, obvious magical effects, oversized weapons, armour etc. It is really just a more recent reiteration of the picture on the classic Moldvay basic set.

Remove ads