D&D General Art in D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vael

Legend
In general, the biggest thing I've noticed in 5e is the increase in diversity, in both style and subject. We have more PoC in art, different styles of dress that aren't all out of fantasy medieval Europe. And yes, I am a fan of that. Really, my only complaint with 5e art is that the PHB halflings are hideous.

I love cheesecake. I'm a man.

And I'm a guy that prefers beef to cheese in his cake. Which, when put like that, is kinda gross. But still, bring on the sexy shirtless guys!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
In general, the biggest thing I've noticed in 5e is the increase in diversity, in both style and subject. We have more PoC in art, different styles of dress that aren't all out of fantasy medieval Europe. And yes, I am a fan of that. Really, my only complaint with 5e art is that the PHB halflings are hideous.

And I'm a guy that prefers beef to cheese in his cake. Which, when put like that, is kinda gross. But still, bring on the sexy shirtless guys!

Joe Jusko used to do a lot of great Conan work that was full of cheesecake and beefcake. Not sure if he ever did much work for TSR though.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
IMO, the 5e art is often near-perfect. I wouldn't call 5e's art really a "style," as opposed to editions like 4e which had the same very consistent art style throughout. For example, in Curse of Strahd there is an artist who draws NPC's in a very specific way with sharp cheekbones, a style I don't see as much in other books (the style of art changes in 5e very much depending on the book).

However, for most pieces I find 5e simply gorgeous; simple, evocative, clear in purpose. The cover of the PHB to me exemplifies this.

1573755360820.png

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I agree with @Urriak Uruk

I LOVE 5e art. I LOVED some of the 3.x art that they put out there. in 2e... I loved specific art. Dark Sun, Planescape, everything else was... ok for the most part with a few gems here and there.

5e so far, for me, has some of the best art yet. It screams epic adventure in ways that I don't think previous edition's art quite captured.

Arilyn

Hero
I love some of the art in the phb, but some of it seems posed and stiff. The newer books have a higher percentage of good art, with very little I dislike. And yes, the halflings are hideous, but I've noticed that artists have been toning down the skewed proportions in the more recent publications.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
5e made them Lovecraftian horrors
Huh what? I must have missed some 5e halfling art somewhere.

On point for earlier editions, this thread has a stellar example of early D&D art that just seems cartoonish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads