D&D General Art Thread! What does a D&D wizard look like?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I was going to post that, but you beat me to it.

So, I'll go with a non-Western (Japanese, to be exact) example:
1711334564707.jpeg

View attachment 1711334852391.webp

Yaarel

He Mage
I am on the lookout for the heroic masculine clean-shaven "jock" Wizard. Not a fan of the long-beard, long-hair, long-robe wizard.

Rather than the mentor support character, I prefer a wizard that is the hero of the story.

ede163d3dae14aefa543f70d8e5776c8.jpeg

28da43c78f5c47b099b1ae35bc43caa9.jpeg

be6d1c1797c94c6082b5187f2eb85f50.jpeg

I love these "stud" Wizards. Part-conan, part-superman, part-dracula, these Wizards have an awesome sword and sorcery vibe. Heh, I hate robes, but didnt know I like cloaks.

2ef4b01c9bf54ea8b41d2bc32b0ca7ef.jpeg

a57bce5d0c2547c89c656866fb85af43.jpeg

03dbf580ed3c42ba85c32b471245e794.jpeg

27f7fd43fffa466f8a36341bbbe25cf2.jpeg

The Wizards wield magic. Anyone that cares about immortality and appearance will use magic to augment it. Their armor is magic spells.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Witch and wizard aren’t gender-specific terms outside of the Harry Potter universe, though. There is some sexism tied up in which wise folk historically got labeled witches and which ones got called wizards, but neither is inherently gendered. Yet, J.K. Rowling made the conscious choice to use them as gendered terms in the fictional world of her book series. Queue everyone’s surprise when she turned out to have some pretty rigid views on gender.

Yes, go figure femininity might be an important part of a trans woman’s identity.

It's definitely not uncommon for Witch to carry a female gender connotation and Wizard to carry a male gender connotation outside of Harry Potter, particularly given it was written in the mid 1990s. From the Wikipedia entry, "In current colloquial English witch is almost exclusively applied to women, with the male equivalent being warlock or wizard." That was definitely not an invention or alteration by Rowling.

And I had no idea you were trans but the point doesn't alter in any way for you being trans. You did choose the very gendered type title of Queen when Monarch was available, just as Rowling chose a gendered type title of Witch when a gender neutral one was available.

If femininity is important, then Witch would have been as appropriate as Queen. You seem to be sending a mixed message here - it's OK for femininity in a title to be important to you, but not to an author in the 90s? Why is it sexism for Rowling to use Witch to mean female (which it was when she wrote it - nearly universally) but it's not sexism for you to use Queen to mean female (which it is nearly universally)?

I totally get you don't like Rowling, for good reason. I don't get this particular focus on Witch and Wizard though. I think it misses the mark, and if there is some sin there you're just as guilty of it for your own user title.

You know… We see a lot of wrinkly old man wizards and a lot of sexy young woman wizards, but not a lot of sexy young man wizards or wrinkly old woman wizards. And the trend is kinda reversed for warlocks. And sorcerers of any gender usually seem to be young, with sexiness being optional.
I forget if it was from a book, TV show, or what, but I remember reading one character saying to another "you haven't aged a day!" and she replied "I would be a poor wizard if I didn't figure out how to keep myself young."

Remove ads