D&D General Art Thread! What does a D&D wizard look like?

nyvinter

Adventurer
The problem is that all three — druid, sorcerer, and wizard — have a lot of the same visual cues except that one wear fur and don't have crystals on their staff, one has robes and crystals on their staffs, and the last have robes and no staff. There's too much overlap for a certain "it's this class!" based on anything but class abilities.

Reynard

Legend
The problem is that all three — druid, sorcerer, and wizard — have a lot of the same visual cues except that one wear fur and don't have crystals on their staff, one has robes and crystals on their staffs, and the last have robes and no staff. There's too much overlap for a certain "it's this class!" based on anything but class abilities.
In a different game where we did not codify every type of "magic user" in the rules, then I think there's a lot broader definition of a "wizard." D&D is pretty specific about those things, though, which is all I was pointing out.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As you know from the AI art thread, it all depends on the prompt. 🤷‍♂️
You're right, of course, except for one thing: I tend to like my characters to be "pleasant-looking" and the AI will pretty much only spit out "model hot". It has to do, I think, with most of the art it references. Probably a lot of which includes models. It's the nature of the beast.

I've always preferred the "girl next door" look to "model hot". It's the hardest thing to get an AI to do, I find.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yes? Whatever you’re trying to insinuate, I’m not getting it.
Queen is a gender specific term, where the male is called a King. Like Witch is a gender specific term, where the male is called a Wizard. You made the same choice JK Rowling did for your own description. You could have chosen a gender neutral term like Goblin Monarch but didn't.

ezo

I cast invisibility
You're right, of course, except for one thing: I tend to like my characters to be "pleasant-looking" and the AI will pretty much only spit out "model hot". It has to do, I think, with most of the art it references. Probably a lot of which includes models. It's the nature of the beast.
Yeah, I know, I've used some pretty ridiculous prompts to NOT get the youthful, model hot look. It's a horrible part of most AI.

That is why this is one of my favorite AI websites: https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/. It produces AI faces which don't look like air-brushed models all the time.

1711316701907.png

If only it had a text to image feature as well.

I've always preferred the "girl next door" look to "model hot". It's the hardest thing to get an AI to do, I find.
Absolutely!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Queen is a gender specific term, where the male is called a King. Like Witch is a gender specific term, where the male is called a Wizard.
Witch and wizard aren’t gender-specific terms outside of the Harry Potter universe, though. There is some sexism tied up in which wise folk historically got labeled witches and which ones got called wizards, but neither is inherently gendered. Yet, J.K. Rowling made the conscious choice to use them as gendered terms in the fictional world of her book series. Queue everyone’s surprise when she turned out to have some pretty rigid views on gender.
You made the same choice JK Rowling did for your own description. You could have chosen a gender neutral term like Goblin Monarch but didn't.
Yes, go figure femininity might be an important part of a trans woman’s identity.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The original "magic user" class has been broken into so many categories over the years, that I guess I wizards is a bookish caster. I draw inspiration from many sources.

For an example of a younger, physically fit wizard, Harry Dresden comes to mind.

1711314494911.png

Yeah, not D&D IP, but he is certainly what I picture most adventuring wizards to look like.

Fom the real world...

1711314767748.png

Michael Scot

Famous Chinese Wizard:
1711315120925.png
1711315372704.png

Xu Fu. This dude's life reads like a D&D campaign. Court sorcerer, alchemist, and explorer tasked by the Emperor of China to find the Elixir of Life.

1711316017972.png

The Witch of Endor. Consulted by Saul (in contradiction against his own laws against sorcery) to contact the soul of Samuel for guidance in preparation of Israels battle against the Philistines.

1711317017117.png
1711317117095.png
1711317335809.png

Mother Shipton fits right in as a D&D Wizard. Living from 1488 to 1681. Mainly known for prophecy for there are stories of her turning people to stone and other magic.

And let's now forget our modern wizards. ;-)
1711314839960.png

1711314975094.png

Alan Moore looks more like a D&D wizard than the D&D art. :)

Attachments

• 1711314785772.png
    1711314785772.png
    360 KB · Views: 16
  • 1711314606162.png
    1711314606162.png
    457.8 KB · Views: 19

Remove ads