D&D General Art Thread! What does a D&D wizard look like?

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
The original "magic user" class has been broken into so many categories over the years, that I guess I wizards is a bookish caster. I draw inspiration from many sources.

For an example of a younger, physically fit wizard, Harry Dresden comes to mind.

View attachment 353592
Yeah, not D&D IP, but he is certainly what I picture most adventuring wizards to look like.

Fom the real world...

View attachment 353598
Michael Scot

Famous Chinese Wizard:
View attachment 353603View attachment 353604
Xu Fu. This dude's life reads like a D&D campaign. Court sorcerer, alchemist, and explorer tasked by the Emperor of China to find the Elixir of Life.

View attachment 353608
The Witch of Endor. Consulted by Saul (in contradiction against his own laws against sorcery) to contact the soul of Samuel for guidance in preparation of Israels battle against the Philistines.

View attachment 353634View attachment 353636View attachment 353639
Mother Shipton fits right in as a D&D Wizard. Living from 1488 to 1681. Mainly known for prophecy for there are stories of her turning people to stone and other magic.

And let's now forget our modern wizards. ;-)
View attachment 353600

View attachment 353601
Alan Moore looks more like a D&D wizard than the D&D art. :)
Great stuff, I appreciate the time you took to grab this variety :D

Quickleaf

Legend
This is a kobold.

51697117_2108843135868017_2160369378816688128_n.jpg

Therefor, this is a wizard.

83572111_2782594668492857_2947604431400599552_n.jpg

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Queen is a gender specific term, where the male is called a King. Like Witch is a gender specific term, where the male is called a Wizard. You made the same choice JK Rowling did for your own description. You could have chosen a gender neutral term like Goblin Monarch but didn't.
I have heard they are not naturally related words, with witch descending from poisoner and wizards from the old types of wise men mean rationally they would have no innate equivalence
Witch and wizard aren’t gender-specific terms outside of the Harry Potter universe, though. There is some sexism tied up in which wise folk historically got labeled witches and which ones got called wizards, but neither is inherently gendered. Yet, J.K. Rowling made the conscious choice to use them as gendered terms in the fictional world of her book series. Queue everyone’s surprise when she turned out to have some pretty rigid views on gender.

Yes, go figure femininity might be an important part of a trans woman’s identity.
I think that her pop culture already did it for her, world-building has never been her strength.
Dragonlance fans will tell you that wizards should look like Raistlin. Give or take the hourglass eyes and gold skin.

View attachment 353661
he does look reasonably fresh from apprenticing but the staff is too long to use as a walking stick, even my uncle could tell him that

A wizard looks however I want it to look given the context of their world, specific magic system, and the character's own background. In most cases, it probably involves some kind of spellbook, but the spellbook can be tattoos, a magical tablet floating behind them, an actual book, a scroll case, etc. I'm also always looking to expand my visual vocabulary of concepts. If someone shows me something I hadn't expected and calls it a wizard, then my visual vocabulary has expanded. I prefer to be open-minded in this case, not close-minded, close-minded perspectives themselves being the antithesis of good art.

Exactly its very setting dependant. The most stereotypical looking wizard is Elminister or Merlin or Gandalf, but that's far from universal.

I think the most universal element is a spellbook and an arcane focus, everything else depends not just on setting, but character background.

Remove ads