Arthurian Adventures (in Ireland)

Roman

First Post
So... off to Northern Ireland to find Friedrich it is next Saturday... This shall be intesting. Sir Anton's situation does not sound promising given that his brother was the better knight. From a metagaming point of view it is made worse by the fact that he has no fate points left having spent them all last session. :uhoh: It will be interesting to see how it will work out nonetheless. Of course, that assumes that we actually manage to get there. ;)

Last session was one in which a number of things were resolved. I am looking forward to seeing it here. :)

Particle_Man

Explorer
That reminds me, I should update! Our merry troupe was riding to Camelot to warn King Arthur, and found something odd going on. they kept trying to get to the cstle, but it was always 2 hours away, even after 2 hours riding. They looked behind them and saw Camelot, 2 hours away! They then used the magic dagger of direction to go "north" to camelot, which took them off-road.

Then they had to deal with a Hedge Mage Giant! He first cast Rock to Mud, which messed up everyone's movement rates. Then he cast Phantasmal Killer (but the Purple Knight, being a high level noble, was immune to fear, and that was the target picked at random). Then he started throwing rocks. Did I mention that he was invisible? Well, a few faerie fire, fire spells, dispel magics, etc., later, the giant was on the ground. [One dispel magic took out the protection from arrows that the party did not even know the giant had on]. The druid finished him (and another character, a one shot rogue) off with an ice storm. Note, the druid got hit by arrows by Stephen and his cohort (an accident of destiny, natural '1' + the Kusman curse). So the druid went mad, and had to be subdued and tied up for a while.

Finally, they get to Camelot, and spend fate points to get there in the nick of time. Lady Leanne fires an arrow at the Cloak that Prince Caius's little sister was carrying to King Arthur, and it not only caught the cloak out of her hands, but the arrow visibly burst into flame upon spearing the cloak. This gave Caius a chance to warn Arthur that the cloak was dangerous. But Morgan le Fay played along, so the party could not put blame on her.

Later, Lady Leanne gave the "book of quarrels" to Morgan le Fey, in the hopes that she or Albion would read it and Oberon's magic would work. The party goes to sleep. But...They wake up in Hell! With only what they went to sleep with! They heard a voice that some recognized as Morgan le Fey's, saying that it was nothing personal, but that they were a threat to her plans.

Ok, wandering in hell, some pick up some bones to use as spears, and they try to head for water (to go upstream, and hopefully out). [My hell does not have water originate in it -- it is pumped in from elsewhere].

In hell, suddenly Sir Andrea gets visibly pregnant and gives birth, with the baby quickly growing up into a child! This activates her motherly instincts, so she rides away from the next encounter. On Justice!

They encounter, the frog demon! (really a modified Red Slaad). Stephen of Kusman falls to it, but the rest get away. At the mouth of the icy river (it gets colder, the further they go upstream), they encounter an Ice Devil. Justice is able to push past it. The rest of the party then catches up. with some fancy magic, they are able to get past it as well. It had demanded tribute (one must stay behind) and Hobb was willing to be that tribute, but Ciaus dragged him along out of hell.

The party ends up in Fairyland. A wintry place, but not as cold as the hell they came out of. King Oberon has tried the name Morgan le Fey and it would be the one to break the enchantment, if he could find the heart of an innocent. Lady Andrea refused to let her son (who was about 30 or so by the time he got out of hell, and thus stopped growing) so Oberon focussed on the horse Justice, offering Caius 100 000 gp for it (to rebuild Anguish's castle). Caius said it was up to the horse. So Oberon used magic to get the horse to agree. Ladies Christine and Leanne followed Oberon and the horse, saw him reach into the horse and take out his heart, and then smear it on the jewel that imprisonned Titania. With a cracking noise she burst free. And Justice's body changed form to reveal...Magnus! [Caius's missing older brother]. Lady Christine was wroth, and said she would tell everyone of this foul deed. So Oberon put the entire party under an enchantment not to speak of this, and the party (with Magnus's body) was returned to Castle Anguish. Titania even agreed to transport the party's stuff from Camelot to Castle Anguish. The last thing the party heard was Titania replying to a whisper of Oberon's with "What do you mean, a giant rabbit?"

At Castle Anguish, Caius greets his parents, but alas, the Castle itself is not there! Seemingly it was Castle-napped as well! And that is where we left it. A lot of loose ends tied up here.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
There are a few issues that have come up. First, there has been some discussion over what does, and does not, count as deed that costs one nobility. In particular, there is discussion over what one is allowed to do when the other guy starts cheating. There was also a worry over what counts as an unfair advantage. If the White Knight takes mass with the priest, and thus gains the benefits of a bless spell, does that mean the White Knight has an unfair advantage?

So far, I have been fairly lenient in my interpretation, which has led to characters having high nobility scores. So I think I will throw less "cheaters" at them and more "honourable bad guys" and see how they deal with them. Sir Anton's older brother could be a good example.

Second, there is the issue of single combat. If I don't have the other guy cheat, then presumably the knights won't cheat so we will have a one-on-one battle. That being the case, what do the other 8 players do while this battle plays out? Will they get bored? Will they still feel vicariously involved? Things to think about.

Shadowleaf

First Post
Hey Partical Man, I've finally noticed something odd with my character.
Where did all the iron/steel items I have come from?
If I remember correctly, 6000 years ago was during the Bronze Age so how did i get a steel scimitar? or any iron items?

Lady Christine suggested that they were shoved into the artifact that held me sometime during the 6000 year sleep and since they are so similar to the ones made of bronze I never noticed or thought about it.

oh, and octopuses are so much fun, I never realised that they are so useful in so many different situations.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
How about...they are bronze, but were magically treated with a spell, now largely in disuse, that made bronze as hard and durable as steel. So they look different, but are mechanically the same. (waves hands) :)

Roman

First Post
In fact, if I remember correctly 6000 years before Arthurian times that is about 5000 BC it was not even the Bronze Age - it was the Stone Age.

Roman

First Post
Particle_Man said:
There are a few issues that have come up. First, there has been some discussion over what does, and does not, count as deed that costs one nobility. In particular, there is discussion over what one is allowed to do when the other guy starts cheating. There was also a worry over what counts as an unfair advantage. If the White Knight takes mass with the priest, and thus gains the benefits of a bless spell, does that mean the White Knight has an unfair advantage?

Perhaps we really ought to make the interpretation of nobility stricter or perhaps add more nobility penalties. I would suggest nobility penalties where loss of nobility is inevitable or things like:

A) If a lady dies (even a non-permanent death) in proximity all knigts lose nobility (hey that even rhymes!)

This would create situations where loss of nobility was inevitable - a lady engages in combat... and if the knight helps her, he is ganging up on an opponent and loses nobility. If she dies he has failed to protect her and he also loses nobility.

B) If you are ordered to do something ignoble by your patron (Prince Caius for most of the knights, you could change the word patron to superior to include all the knights) you lose nobility if you do not do it (but less than if you do do it), but of course you also loose nobility if you carry out the orders

C) You loose nobility when you 'cheat' even if your opponent 'cheated' first if your cheating is worse than his. Of course, you always loose nobility if you 'cheat' first. We could have ranks of 'cheating' from least ignoble to most ignoble:

Cheating that equalizes your opponent's cheating advantage is least severe and entails no loss of nobility if your opponent cheated first. Apart from that the ranks of cheating could be:

1) Receiving an unfair buff spell that improves combat statistics, Combat from horseback when your opponent is on foot, Using magic to make the non-magic using opponent more susceptible to attacks but not directly disadvantaging him, etc.

2) Ganging up on an opponent, Receiving an unfair buff spell that gives new qualities (invisibility, flight), using ranged weapons against an opponent with melee weapons, using magic to directly attack or disadvantage an opponent who does not use magic, etc.

3) Ambushing an opponent, Using magic to directly take out an opponent (the so called save or die spells), using poison against an opponent, etc.

So if an opponent cheats from the first category and is the first to do so you do not lose nobility if you also cheat within that category, but lose nobility if you begin cheating in the second and third severity category unless he does so first.

Also, the loss of nobility could be per action rather than per battle. Suppose an opponent does not cheat at all and we all gang up on him. Alll of us should probably loose nobility every round we do so, rather than a one off loss per battle.

What do you think?

Second, there is the issue of single combat. If I don't have the other guy cheat, then presumably the knights won't cheat so we will have a one-on-one battle. That being the case, what do the other 8 players do while this battle plays out? Will they get bored? Will they still feel vicariously involved? Things to think about.

Well, this situation has arisen numerous times already. I do not know if I speak for everyone, but I generally feel vicariously involved at least to some degree. In challenges which everybody respects this is not a problem at all since they can be resolved pretty quickly - there being no initiative order and all. In longer fights where some respect the nobility rules and others don't (which makes it necessary to cycle through everyone and prolongs the combat) I suppose it might be better to somehow involve everybody in some way, but this is not always possible and I don't think it is a big problem at all.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I like this nobility idea and will discuss it with players at the next session.

As for the stone age thing, I think I will let legend trump real history. Since Hercules was around back then re the mythic history, I shall declare a bronze age by fiat (but maybe only the heroic types (like the druid) got a hold of the bronze stuff).

Remove ads