Arthurian Adventures (in Ireland)

Particle_Man

Explorer
Well the movie night was a big success, although I think people turned "Excaliber" the movie into a bit of a comedy a la Mystery Science Theatre. Much more respectful of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". :)

Sorry for those who missed it. I highly recommend you rent and see both films.

So, that is it for me. I am done as a DM for a while. It was fun. I learned a lot (including never to take Leadership when a player, since it causes headaches for the poor DM).

Oh, Blair isn't running a game next week, so I don't think that anything is happening on the 14th. Just FYI.

Hope that the players (and readers of this thread) enjoyed themselves.

lastknight

First Post
A request........

Great read! I found Legends of Excailbur, and my sister ordered off of Amazon. Both of us have never played a D20 system game, so it should be interesting! :eek:

Anyone still around who was a part of this one? I sure wish Particle_Man still posted here, as I'd love a walkthrough or anyone willing to guide newbies through Legends of Excailbur.

If anyone will take me up, I'll be around.

Last Knight

lastknight

First Post
Great Sir Anton!

Any advice to someone who never played d20? I have both the D&D handbook and DM one (and now Excalibur as well, of course). I want to use the Excalibur system.

I've got a few questions (if you know the answers?)

1. How does Nobility work in LOE?

2. What is Fate and Destiny in LOE?

3. At the very beginning of play, is there a normal number for setting stats in d20 games?

4. A few players want to be Ladies of The Court, what class should they choose?

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

Roman

First Post
lastknight said:
Great Sir Anton!

Any advice to someone who never played d20?

The thing to remember is that there is a unified resolution mechanic. All rolls (with very few exceptions, most notable being damage) are d20 to which you add modifiers and have to beat a certain difficulty class (DC) in order to succeed at the task you are doing, whether it is climbing up a wall or hitting the enemy with your sword.

I have both the D&D handbook and DM one (and now Excalibur as well, of course). I want to use the Excalibur system.

In that case, you should be fine. Monster Manual might also come in handy though.

I've got a few questions (if you know the answers?)

I will do my best!

1. How does Nobility work in LOE?

Nobility is a number from 1 to 100 representing the honor and purity of the character with 1 being the most base and 100 being the most noble. Nobility can change depending on character actions. For example, if two knights team-up to defeat a single combatant in combat they would lose nobility.

2. What is Fate and Destiny in LOE?

Fate is a goal chosen by the player for the PC. Destiny is a negative outcome for the player character chosen by the DM/GM in secret. It is often a tragic corollary of the fate the player has chosen.

Player characters get fate point, which they can spend to improve their chances at critical tasks related to their fate. When they spend fate points, however, they also acquire destiny points that the DM/GM can spend on fulfilling their destinies.

3. At the very beginning of play, is there a normal number for setting stats in d20 games?

The normal way to set stats is to roll 4d6 and add the results of the 3 highest dice. Repeat this process six times and than assign each of the six resultant numbers to the ability score you wish. The process is also explained in the Player's Handbook.

4. A few players want to be Ladies of The Court, what class should they choose?

There are several suitable classes. Perhaps something like the Minstrel or the Noble would be appropriate, but I am sure other classes can be made to work in this role too.

Thanks in advance. :)

I hope it helps! :)

lastknight

First Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to write in-depth answers to my questions! You have been more help than you realize. I really appreciate it.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I would add "Enchantress" and "Lady of the Lake" or "Court Mage" as prestige classes for ladies to shoot for, as well.

Although one could be a female knight and kick some Saxon ass.

Sorry I haven't been here in a while. I am thinking of starting something in the summer of 2009. Could do Excalibur again. Or might do something indy and weird, like "Don't Rest Your Head". Not that my Excalibur games don't get weird. :)

Remove ads