Arthurian Adventures (in Ireland)

Particle_Man

Explorer
3rd last session. A preliminary note. I will not be running a game the next two weeks as I will be out of town visiting my folks. Never fear, as Blair will run the Spellslinger game (which will take over my time slot when I am done, after the movie night).

Ok, our merry band, after burying their dead, reincarnated various animals. The White Hart reincarnated as a reindeer with a glowing red nose that flew up into the air. Druid Cassandra's wolf reincarnated as a Dire Lion. Caius was discovered to exist permanently in the realm of Fairyland, as a mobile Coniferous Tree, with various Cold Iron "decorations".

On to the next abbey? Well first they hit the town of Longshanks, where the villagers are preparing for the end of the world, flagellating themselves, boarding up their places of business, giving away food and drink, abandoning their work, etc. They already had sent their children with some monks to the abbey, and would follow as soon as they had finished in town.

This set up a red flag for the group, and they followed the tracks of the children and monks as fast as they could, using lesser restoration to stop the horses from becoming fatigued. They caught up to them, at which point the monks (wights) attacks the children! The party was only able to save 17 of the 57 children, but eventually killed the 12 wights.

They then returned the children to the village, where the villagers had already salted the earth. The knights went ahead to the abbey, while Cassandra and Lady Leanne led the villagers to Fairyland's new subsection, Candyland, to at least give the villagers a place where they would not starve.

The abbey seemed almost abandoned. There were three nuns there. Upon being asked to see the fingerbones of Christ, they said that the viewer must prove himself worthy by a test of purity -- reading a certain book and saying what the book said. Sir Andrew went into the room in question and read from the book, but only found gibberish (but saved vs. the symbol of insanity there). At which point he was attacked by the three nuns (Annis version of Hags). Sir Anton and Sir Bradley went to help. It turns out the the hags are still tough, especially with their high grapple checks and the ability to use claws and rend while in a grapple. Sir Anton perished. Sir Bradley was in trouble, but was helped by Hubert (who had improved unarmed strike and improved grapple!). Hubert also perished. Finally, the hags were dealt with!

Meahwhile, those not involved in the combat found rooms filled with horrors -- dead nuns, dead children, etc.

Sir Anton came back to life as a "santa elf" (small size, +2 dex, 6 ranks in craft (toymaking)). On trying to reincarnate Sir Hubert, they got a hollow impenetrable glass statue of Sir Hubert (light and portable, though).

On to the third abbey. This one seemed to be completely destroyed by a dragon. But upon searching, they found the fingerbones of Christ! At this point, Sir Hubert was restored, as if "poured" into his glass statue. Also, Sir Andrew regained his height and gender. Prince Kelvin refused the offer of restoring his race, and Lady Leanne made her fort save vs. restoring hers. Also, I did a major magical upgrade to everyone's stuff (+5 on armour, shield, weapon (and Albion bane on weapons)) and an anti-Ablion nobility bonus that they could set on attack rolls, damage, saves, beating SR, an ability score, or DC of their spells -- but the nobility bonus was only vs. Albion). Finally, they got the greatest gift. Albion would be forced to be as noble as they were in combat. And they got some gems, but don't know what they were meant to do.

Then the fingerbones disappeared, as did Tristran, to go to the Holy See in Rome and be the guardian of the fingerbones in their new home.

Sir Anton also gained the ability to cure insanity by touch. Back to Count Randolph's, where he cured everyone, including his brother. Frederick wished to accompany the party vs. Albion's army in Greenland, and left to gather help. The party then spent a few months getting forces together for a giant push vs. Albion. And the knights, with a little free time, went into Baron Roderick's cave and took out the monster that was killing miners down there (a basilisk, suitably advanced). Got Sir Andrew stoned again, but he was "thawed out" at the Northern tip of Ireland, the staging point for the forces marshalled vs. Albion.

Oh, King Anguish was grieved to hear of the death of his son Caius from Hobb and the Court Mage. (Hobb was reincarnated as a dwarf, and left afterwards to live in the dreaming woods and contemplate the One God). Since so many forces are going to Greenland (including Prince Kelvin Hammoton, Prince Lucius (the remaining son of Anguish) and his wife Brigit, etc., Count Anguish named Roderick as his heir should anything happen to them all. Anguish himself wanted to go avenge his son, but was weakened by grief and the sudden onset of age. Anguished indeed. Many of Anguish's troops are going to avenge Caius and Magnus. Roderick generously offered his troops as a home guard while so many of Anguish's troops are away. And now Roderick's mine problem has been cleared up by the knights, too!

Ok, that was about where we left it. Three weeks from now we will have the showdown vs. Albion and co. I am not sure how fast or slow that will go, but there are a few loose ends that could be tied up. And perhaps even the Big Battle at the end of the era, 15 or so years on. Oh, and I want that movie night! Excalibur and Monty Python and the Holy Grail (which at least one of my players has never seen! How is this possible? :) ).

Roman

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
I must have missed something in the last session--when did Sir Andrea become Sir Andrew again?

We found the Fingerbones of Christ this session. The Fingerbones of Christ are capable of healing almost any affliction and undoing almost all transformations. That's why Sir Andrea is now Sir Andrew again. ;)

Particle_Man

Explorer
Oh yeah, in the cave with the big Basilisk, the party found some gold statuettes, which Sir Anton believes to be the remains of some dwarves. And after killing the Basilisk, Sir Roderick gave the knights a medal -- the bronze star (kinda cheap, since they reopened a GOLD mine for him, but there ya go).

Particle_Man

Explorer
I did cause the party to break down in laughter when, after the 12 wights were killed, and there were 40 dead children, I asked the party, a la Standard D&D DM, "So, do you loot the bodies?"

Bad DM! Very Bad DM! :)

Roman

First Post
Particle Man, is my understanding correct that elves (and dwarves, goblins, etc.) in this campaign are considered to be fey?

Particle_Man

Explorer
yes, but "fey" doesn't necessarily mean {MM: fey monster type}. That is, historically, "fey" is how to classify them, but I am not sure about giving them all MM:fey abilities, so am playing them pretty much straight out of the book (with slight mod's to dwarves, slight to medium mods to elves (the "new" Santa elves are still "fey" (though not nec. MM fey) but are different from the "old" elves), and no mod's to goblins). The "cold iron burns us my precious!" thing is a nice touch, but I haven't made that do actual damage (just pain) to elves. I didn't even think of it, to be honest, but Lady Leanne was playing that aspect up and I thought "ah, what the heck, it seems cool".

Oh yeah, I am back. So see you all saturday for the BIIIIIIIIIIG Fight! :) Remember, Albion will play by the rules if you do, and will break them if you do. So probably the S.O.P. of "let the honourable guys go first, and then have the not-so-honourable guys mop up" would be most efficient. Though you never know...those honourable guys have a way of pulling through unlikely situations sometimes...

Roman

First Post
Particle_Man said:
yes, but "fey" doesn't necessarily mean {MM: fey monster type}. That is, historically, "fey" is how to classify them, but I am not sure about giving them all MM:fey abilities, so am playing them pretty much straight out of the book (with slight mod's to dwarves, slight to medium mods to elves (the "new" Santa elves are still "fey" (though not nec. MM fey) but are different from the "old" elves), and no mod's to goblins). The "cold iron burns us my precious!" thing is a nice touch, but I haven't made that do actual damage (just pain) to elves. I didn't even think of it, to be honest, but Lady Leanne was playing that aspect up and I thought "ah, what the heck, it seems cool".

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Oh yeah, I am back. So see you all saturday for the BIIIIIIIIIIG Fight! :) Remember, Albion will play by the rules if you do, and will break them if you do. So probably the S.O.P. of "let the honourable guys go first, and then have the not-so-honourable guys mop up" would be most efficient. Though you never know...those honourable guys have a way of pulling through unlikely situations sometimes...

I am looking forward to the session! :)

Roman

First Post
One more question about the 'anti-Albion bonus' that we could pick:

If chosen for saves, does it apply to one particular save or all saves?
If chosen for stats, does it apply to the stat or to the stat bonus?
If chosen for caster level to counter SR, does it apply to caster level checks against SR only or to all caster level checks against Albion?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Saves: All Saves vs. Albion.

Ability Scores: Not the bonus. The Score. And only for duration of battle vs. Albion.

Caster Level: If vs. Albion, caster level includes penetrating SR, but also cheaper spell points, longer duration, etc., etc. Good deal for spellcasters.

Note: Once/if Albion falls, the bonus goes away. And you don't use the bonus when not encountering Albion.

In case I forgot: remember that you all also were offered a special jewelly deal from the fingerbones that might be relevant vs. Albion. Or might not. Just remind me if you have one or not when we meet on saturday.

Oh, also we should start organizing the movie night. Is the machine from the dance club VCR or DVD or both? Depending how fast things go, we could do the movie night the week following (if TPK) or two perhaps two weeks following. We'll see how fast things go this sat.

Remove ads