• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer Archetypes: contribute!

Klaus

First Post
Okay, so all of the core classes in D&D have several archetypes from literature, movies, comics, TV series, etc, to use as inspirations. Rangers have Aragorn and Robin Hood, Paladins have Lancelot, Galahad and Holger Carlsen, Wizards have Gandalf, Harry Potter, Tim Hunter and Merlin, etc.

So I thought of putting together a list of Artificer Archetypes. Feel free to contribute!

1. Artificer/Extreme Explorer = James Bond (but one who makes his own gadgets).

2. Single-class Artificer (mid- to high-level) = Gyro Gearloose ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_Gearloose ) - This Disney character even has his own homounculus, Little Helper. And his Thinking Hat is surely another form of a Headband of Intellect!

3. Single-class Aretificer (low-level) = Data (Goonies)

4. Artificer/Urban Ranger = Batman (now you know where he gets those wonderful toys).

Your turn.

JEL

First Post
Artificer/Rogue = MacGyver (infusions for all those on the fly gadgets)
Single-classed Artificer = Edward Elric (Full Metal Alchemist)

drothgery

First Post
Single classed artificer - I can't think of an iconic example off the top of my head, but the guy who spends most of his life crafting exotic magic weapons and armor, and ocassionally has to go out and bash people with them. Works best mechanically as a warforged artificer with the racial substitution levels from Races of Eberron.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"The Mad Scientist" a loner who creates what no one else would even consider...in various incarnations he's Gepetto the Toymaker (Disney), Arcade or Dr. Doom or Mr. Fantastic (from Marvel Comics), The Wizard of Oz (Frank L. Baum's Oz books, of course), Captain Nemo (20,000 Leagues under the Sea), Dr. Cavor (HG Wells' First Men in the Moon)...and almost all the main characters in Girl Genius.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Wayland Smith, the folk hero of northern Europe (sometimes a minor god or demigod)--wanderer who goes around gifting the worthy with useful magical tools.

Most 'magicians' of Tolkien's world, who visibly work magic only through crafting items.

And a second vote for Girl Genius. I'm *so* looking forward to the GURPS supplement for that world!

Ben

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Dannyalcatraz said:
Arcade or Dr. Doom or Mr. Fantastic (from Marvel Comics)...

Don't forget Iron Man. ;)

Really, any sort of mechanic/inventor character would work, extrapolating on that to include magic.

You could theoretically include Scotty from Star Trek and Cooter from Dukes of Hazzard as well. ;)

vulcan_idic

Explorer
Dragonhelm said:
Don't forget Iron Man. ;)

Really, any sort of mechanic/inventor character would work, extrapolating on that to include magic.

You could theoretically include Scotty from Star Trek and Cooter from Dukes of Hazzard as well. ;)

Or even LaForge - who regularly "casts" Repair X Damage "spells" on the "Warforged" Data...

When I think Artificer, I think of classic Norse dwarves toiling in the depths of the earth, creating magic items. Not many examples of heroic toiling blacksmiths in film, though.

MacGuyver, maybe?

Really, to have been fun, Artificers should have gotten computer hacker-esque 'reprogramming' abilities, so they could take existing magic and rework it to do different things. Hackers get to be heroes in movies (Swordfish, Ethan Hunt in Mission Impossible, Neo). Techs get to stay back at MI-6 headquarters and test Q's latest gadgets.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Q.?

Rube Goldberg?

Weaponeers like the guys who create Katanas?

RIFTS Technomages & Biomancers?

Babylon 5 Technomages?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads