Artificer Up (Playtest Version, not Final)

Terwox

First Post
Flipping through, I really don't like the flavor of the class... Seems like it didn't translate well to 4E though so far.

I'm curious how Keith Baker feels about these guys!

Regicide

Banned
Banned
And I must say, I love the implications of the "What's a Playtest Article" sidebar. While people won't be able to go over everything the final Artificer has to offer this is an opportunity to catch any bugs!

This will be great if they keep doing it when Dragon goes pay. That way we get to give them money so that we can do their work for them! We'll get worthless incomplete articles that are going to appear completed in a later supplement instead of actual content, and on top of that we get to deal with all their bugs and mistakes and fix them for them. Thats just special! But don't worry, every so often they'll release an update of something they just printed in a book but make it superior in every way, like the warforged, that way you'll feel like you have to buy it anyway. :hmm:

sukael

First Post
That item that refers to healing constructs makes me wonder if the build-in-progress we're not seeing is a hordeficer-type.

Goumindong

First Post
Sigils of Shadow Tendrils (29 daily) is a huge buff if it happens before the attack is rolled.
Is actually not very good. "End of your next turn" triggering on an opponents turn after he attacks a target will only produce one action per enemy(that is not an attack) where the target is blinded. Since they know what happened they will always attack last in their turn.

You will get combat advantage over them, but they wont attack that guy much again, and the combat order means that

Enemy attacks: is blinded
Your turn comes up: Blind is gone
Enemy attacks...

chaotix42

First Post
This will be great if they keep doing it when Dragon goes pay.

You obviously didn't read the article:

"This article... is the first in a new semi-regular feature in Dragon."

That way we get to give them money so that we can do their work for them! We'll get worthless incomplete articles that are going to appear completed in a later supplement instead of actual content, and on top of that we get to deal with all their bugs and mistakes and fix them for them.

I have seen more than one poster on this forum and the Gleemax boards state their desire to proofread WotC products before release, or even pay a fee for access to incomplete material for the purpose of play-testing and de-bugging. This seems like the start of something along those lines.

Also, the complete issue of Dragon 364 includes errata to things like the Wizard and Warforged article, so I'm rather happy with their quick response to issues brought up by the community. I could understand your dismay if the compiled issue contained the same errors as the singly-released articles but this is not the case so I find your complaint without merit.

Thats just special! But don't worry, every so often they'll release an update of something they just printed in a book but make it superior in every way, like the warforged, that way you'll feel like you have to buy it anyway. :hmm:

As for the warforged, the MM entry is for DMs making NPCs. It is passable material for creating PCs but the article gives warforged the attention a PC race deserves. I hope they do the same for some of the other races found in the MM, honestly.

DemonLord57

First Post
Is actually not very good. "End of your next turn" triggering on an opponents turn after he attacks a target will only produce one action per enemy(that is not an attack) where the target is blinded. Since they know what happened they will always attack last in their turn.

You will get combat advantage over them, but they wont attack that guy much again, and the combat order means that

Enemy attacks: is blinded
Your turn comes up: Blind is gone
Enemy attacks...
I said if the effect occurs before the attack roll is finished. My interpretation is this: Enemy decides to attack your ally. They are now blinded. They roll, with -5 to the attack due to total concealment. Sucks to be them. Depends on when the effect takes place. If it takes place afterward, yes the effect sucks a lot.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
I really like this class. I would definitely play this over a wizard any day (never liked being frail). Finally an arcane caster who can take a punch! And the extra skills are not a bad touch either!

Looks cool, my players are interested, but we will probably wait for the full wammy in the Eb Guide.

I don't get the shielding Cube Spell. How can it have an implement keyword but you have to be weilding a ranged weapon? Weilding a ranged weapon makes the implement keyword irrelevant doesn't it? You could never weild botht he ranged weapon and the implement...
...or am I missing something?

zerotkatama

First Post
It'd work with a Sling or Hand Crossbow. The way I see it working is you magick up the cube with your implement, then fire it with your ranged weapon.

StormCrow42

Explorer
I don't get the shielding Cube Spell. How can it have an implement keyword but you have to be weilding a ranged weapon? Weilding a ranged weapon makes the implement keyword irrelevant doesn't it? You could never weild botht he ranged weapon and the implement...
...or am I missing something?

You wield a hand crossbow in one hand and your implement in the other :p

Or more seriously, it's probably an error, ignore the part about needing a ranged weapon, the power doesn't do [W] damage anywhere.

Remove ads