Artificer Up (Playtest Version, not Final)

Stogoe

First Post
I really like Arcane Replenishment. It's very artificer-ish. On another note, I do wonder how they'll 'fix' the interaction between Healing Figurine and Repair Object, because right now it's non-surge healing every round for one encounter a day. The artificer can recharge the idol and move it to where it's needed on his turn (and still make an attack), and on your ally's turn, she takes the free healing and has her move and standard left to beat down on monsters.

The cleric gets non-surge healing once a day at level 2, though, and it uses the target's surge value instead of the caster's. Hm.

DracoSuave

First Post
Grave Dust-Cloud I think only does the healing equal to what you rolled for damage, not the total damage. That'd be fine and equivalent to most healing abilities.

The Repair Object rote works well with abilities with the Artifice keyword. They damage the little guy buffing your team, and you use Repair Object and it's back to its hp max.

Dancing Weapon has both Implement and Weapon for obvious reasons. You are casting the spell on the weapon so you -need one- (Weapon keyword)... but the weapon is not your primary weapon (Artificers are ranged weapon users) so to make it so that the weapon can be affected by your Implement bonus because you use it -every day.-
The rules crunch under it state 'Yes, you'll get the proficiency bonus for the weapon' which means if you use a Staff as Implement and Weapon for this, you'll be able to use it's proficiency bonus, otherwise it's use as an Implement would be nullified. Then, it allows you to use -either- the Implement or Weapon's stats.... which is their way of saying they don't stack. It's designed so that you don't -need- another magic weapon on top of your ranged weapon, and your implement, just for a single encounter ability.

Runic Resistance plays mindgames with the keyword inheritance rules.

Phantom Structure is awesome and unique.

As for capturing the old class... gotta remember the old class's main ability was making magic items all they wanted to -without- worrying about prerequisites or spells... and buffing the party. The former's now a ritual anyone can take, so that flavor became unnecessary, so the later is the route they had to go. So, they took that buffing objects flavor, and they went 'Buffing, that's a leader!' (which it is) and went nuts with it. Granted, they don't get the constructs-only spells, but at the same time, the new game doesn't have classes with ______-only abilities (save Turn Undead) so it's not that bad.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
On another note, I do wonder how they'll 'fix' the interaction between Healing Figurine and Repair Object, because right now it's non-surge healing every round for one encounter a day. The artificer can recharge the idol and move it to where it's needed on his turn (and still make an attack), and on your ally's turn, she takes the free healing and has her move and standard left to beat down on monsters.

Except that Repair Object is per encounter, so they can only do that once.

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
On another note, I do wonder how they'll 'fix' the interaction between Healing Figurine and Repair Object, because right now it's non-surge healing every round for one encounter a day. The artificer can recharge the idol and move it to where it's needed on his turn (and still make an attack), and on your ally's turn, she takes the free healing and has her move and standard left to beat down on monsters.

It's already been pointed out that the Repair Object is an encounter power, and with that I kinda suspect that they did this deliberately.

DemonLord57

First Post
It gives you hit points based on the damage you rolled for the spell ie, 2d10+Int, you only roll the damage once for aoe spells. So the enemies in the burst take full damage, the allies in the burst gain hit points equal to half the damage.
No, it gives you hit points for every hit. Look at it again. The healing is in the 'Hit' text box. That means it happens on a hit. I believe this is a mistake, as the healing can get quite gratuitous otherwise.

And yeah, about the Healing Figurine trick I mentioned, that's why I said 3 healing surges for 1. It's not broken, just a good use of your Repair Object to get more healing out of the Healing Figurine.

Jeph

Explorer
Restorative Infusion is a little 'whoah!' for a 2nd level utility. 20 temp hit points is a lot! At 2nd level, that could be around 80% of a wizard's hit point total.

Dancing Weapon seems clunky and a bit borked. As it is written, you don't actually need to be proficient with the weapon you use to gain its bonus on attacks. Your best strategy is to carry around a bastard sword or great sword just for use with the power... It'd be much more elegant to either remove the Implement keyword, or remove the Weapon keyword and make the attack 1d8 damage against Reflex.

What's with the notreallyongoing! damage in Lightning Motes? That's a lot of clunk for a pretty minor effect on play.

Jack99

Adventurer
On a completely unrelated note, how do you feel about Paizo's Pathfinder RPG?

Don't you know? When Paizo does something they are hailed as the saviors of the D&D community, but when WotC does the same, they are destroying it...

: rolleyes :

Verys Arkon

First Post
Count me in as one of those people that likes the idea of releasing playtest material before publication. I think it is a great idea to harness the power of the internet - there are a lot of minds that can go over the material for very little cost. I would rather it be in the 'Features' section of the website, but I guess getting the sneak-peak at a new class is one of the perks of subscribing to Dragon.

Speaking of which, I've been impressed with the quality of Dragon and Dungeon since the relaunch. They've met their delivery dates, and the material is generally useful and nicely laid out (though more use of hyperlinks wouldn't hurt). I still miss the printed version though; wonder if my piggy-bank has enough for a color laser printer yet...

jelmore

First Post
This will be great if they keep doing it when Dragon goes pay. That way we get to give them money so that we can do their work for them!

Roleplaying games are a collaborative effort; we all stand on the shoulders of giants. Why does it bother you that WotC is giving its customers a chance to help shape the products they're going to buy?

We'll get worthless incomplete articles that are going to appear completed in a later supplement instead of actual content

You're either trolling or you haven't read the article.

I will concede that it is a single Artificer build with powers meant to support that build, and it is missing a third at-will power for humans. But we've got more of the Artificer than we ever did of the core 4E classes (pregen characters and leaked PDF copies notwithstanding) to play with before they were released, and the developers are soliciting feedback.

As for the article being "worthless", I spent an hour or two adapting my 3.5E Artificer to 4E and I'm looking forward to seeing what the other builds and options look like, so I can try to get him closer to his original concept -- because he was built around maxxing Use Magic Device and Knowledge (Arcana), I decided to make him the "face" of the party and built up his Diplomacy as well. Going from that to a class whose prime stats are Intelligence and Constitution (??) took some rethinking, but I have something that I can play tonight.

on top of that we get to deal with all their bugs and mistakes and fix them for them.

Better that then dealing with their bugs and mistakes in the final shipping product.

But don't worry, every so often they'll release an update of something they just printed in a book but make it superior in every way, like the warforged, that way you'll feel like you have to buy it anyway.

Now I'm sure you're trolling. WotC was pretty clear that an improved version of the Warforged was going to come along at some point, and I'm amazed that someone would complain about getting an additional free player race on the launch day of 4th Edition.

Monster Manual p.276 said:
In general, these traits and powers are provided to help Dungeon Masters create nonplayer characters (NPCs) [empahsis mine]. This information can also be used as guidelines for creating player character (PC) versions of these creatures, within reason. Note that these traits and powers are more in line with monster powers than with player character powers.

Have fun ranting and raving about WotC and how evil they are for wanting to work with their customers. I have better things to do with my time.

Goobermunch

Explorer
What's with the notreallyongoing! damage in Lightning Motes? That's a lot of clunk for a pretty minor effect on play.

Well, my thought would be that ongoing damage of the same type doesn't stack, right? So now, you can get someone with ongoing lightning 5 and "notreallyongoing! damage" lightning 5 for 10 damage per round.

I'm not sure WHY they did it, but I'd read that as the effect.

--G

Remove ads