D&D 5E Artificer - What concepts are missing?

Stormonu

Legend
Although I've DMed groups with Artificers in them, I'm just getting to play an artificer for the first time (Armorer subclass). Because the class is fairly new, the subclasses that exist feel restrictive - Chaos Jekyll/Hyde (Alchemist), Iron Man (Armorer), Heavy Weapons Guy (Artillerist) and the Battlesmith.

Can anyone point me to some good DM guild (or otherwise) content to expand this class, and are there any stereotypes/tropes that you feel are missing from the subclass line up?

(For example, I really don't like the random roll for the experimental elixir for the existing Alchemist and think there should be a true alchemist whose a master of potion making, transformations of people and objects and negating conditions/effects - if that can be done with the current subclass, please let me know!)

In a similar thread for Level up, I gave some ideas I'd like to see...

Runescribe - an Artificer that inscribes divine sigils on to objects to imbue them with power.

Animist - primal Artificer that awakens the magical spirits in natural objects.

Cathector - Artificer that creates virtual objects out of pure incarnum orgone, and "hangs" them on attunement slots.

There was also discussion of magical tailors and cooks.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
The Forge Cleric subclass is something that i really feel like there should be something equivilant for the Artificer, same for the Fighter's Rune Knight mixed up some with the Rune Carver Apprentice/Adept feats.
If they don't make it it's own thing i think the Artificer could make a good base for a swordmage class, using infusions to make elemental damage weapons or incorporating a bit of the Mark of Making Human's concepts with extended-duration non-concentration weapon enhancement spells(magic weapon/elemental weapon), as well as gaining access to spells like steel wind strike, flame arrows/lightning arrow and the smite spells.

Last edited:

Vael

Legend
I tried the Maverick subclass from Exploring Eberron. It's an interesting take, it's something I believe is missing (the sorta magical MacGyver), but it's also what made me very aware that the half-caster progression is very limiting on the Artificer.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The obvious ones for me are
  • Golem Maker - maker of drones, robots and golems
  • Seige Engineer - creates barricades, terrain modifiers, catapults and land mines
  • Trapper - builder of the better mouse trap
  • Chirurgeon - the flesh grafter who can add cybernetic body parts or even graft different creatures into one (Owl+Bear)
  • Videographer - using devices to record and broadcast audio & visual illusions

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
It should be worth noting Keith Baker has added several artificer subclasses like maverick (a caster/inventor) and mastermaker (cyborg/flesh grafter) in his books on DMs Guild

Remove ads