• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E As a DM, do I kill the entire party at the end? Im torn?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I think it's this from post #51: 4) A story quest which they finding clues which they understand means they need to find and destroy the BBEGs heart to destroy the BBEG

So you say that they understand they need to find and destroy the BGs heart to destroy the BG while simultaneously not actually finding and destroying the BGs heart?

firstkyne

Explorer
I had a player who was particularly reckless. I realised he was meta gaming: daring me to kill his character, thinking I wouldn't. If your players are effectively pushing you around, then stand firm and let the story happen. (Maybe add in a bit where there mistake becomes revealed just before the inescapable final battle).
Look. If you flex the world around the players too much, you might as well go systemless and allow everyone to make up whatever they want to happen. If the clue was massive and fairly well signposted, then be apologetic, wreak havoc, leave some survivors, and write a followup adventure about finding a skilled team and putting the bigbad down. A REVENGE TALE.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

GreyLord

Legend
I like the 3 checkpoint idea.

I remember one adventure I was playing, I think it was a tourney adventure or something for Eberron. It had a single fail skill check (well group skill check, you need at least three successes to succeed) situation. We failed, and the adventure basically, if played as written, stopped right there. There was no way to continue.

3 chokepoint idea I think would have added more chances or at least ideas on how to continue.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
So what I'm thinking is that, dumb as it sounds, maybe you just need to recap everything they've experienced a couple of times.

I've had GMs use "Last week on D&D..." pre-session recaps (like non-episodic television shows often have) to good effect. This not only allowed them to refresh their players' memories of what happened in the previous session and what direction the session was heading but it allowed them to highlight story elements that were missed or glossed over. If the session recap notes that the burned body at the funeral was amiss it could encourage the players to re investigate it.

Another technique is to have the players do the pre-session recap. This way you get insight into what the players took from the previous session. If they gloss over the burned body during their recap and it's pivotal for your campaign, you know you have to give them additional clues and/or more obvious clues.

These pre-session recaps might not help in this situation since the game is so close to its end. But if used throughout the campaign they may have cut the issue off at the pass.

pdzoch

Explorer
I've had GMs use "Last week on D&D..." pre-session recaps (like non-episodic television shows often have) to good effect. This not only allowed them to refresh their players' memories of what happened in the previous session and what direction the session was heading but it allowed them to highlight story elements that were missed or glossed over. If the session recap notes that the burned body at the funeral was amiss it could encourage the players to re investigate it.

Another technique is to have the players do the pre-session recap. This way you get insight into what the players took from the previous session. If they gloss over the burned body during their recap and it's pivotal for your campaign, you know you have to give them additional clues and/or more obvious clues.

These pre-session recaps might not help in this situation since the game is so close to its end. But if used throughout the campaign they may have cut the issue off at the pass.

That is a great idea. I do that every session. It is part of our warm-up to get everyone into the mood of the game and establish context for what we are doing at the time in the game. We often take a few sessions to complete an adventure. Sometimes it is weeks before we can pick up again. This recap is important to remind the players of the story and where they are in it and why they are about to take the first actions of that session. I prefer the players to do the recap themselves. This helps me gage what is resonating to the players (if something minor suddenly appears too important, or if something too important suddenly seems minimized). Afterwards, I'll ask them questions that prompts their memory of the game and the plot. Finally, I'll fill in any loose ends to ensure everyone has the same understanding of the story and plot. The players are horrible note takers, so they usually forget details like names of things, but they are generally very good at keeping track of the plot and clues.

ccs

41st lv DM
So you say that they understand they need to find and destroy the BGs heart to destroy the BG while simultaneously not actually finding and destroying the BGs heart?

(shrugs) Not me, the OP.
You said you didn't see it. I pointed out where the OP said it.

If it's true then the players have failed.
But I'll still bet the fault lies in however the DM initially presented it.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon

I too am confused by this aspect (step 4). But clearly what followed didn't clear things up.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Ah, I think I see the problem:
1) Kill them (die die die). They deserve it. They are stupid and only started making notes 25% of the way into the campaign
They're not stupid, they're just not as much into mysteries and clues as you or your previous groups. Some players just want to ride the railroad from one easy victory to another. That's just how they have fun.

You can either give them the fun they want (an alternate, obvious way to find the heart -- they seem to like going on side-quests), or not, but it's really unlikely that they'll suddenly start having fun the way you want, and a TPK in an unwinnable fight doesn't sound like much fun for anyone.

maedsl

First Post
In Case of Emergency:
Tell one of the PCs " .....your sleep is disturbed by dreams and images of your Patron / God / Care Worker * delete as appropriate * he / she / it whispers to you that Even the most evil of Creatures has to have a Heart somewhere "
if they still don't get it then the next night the Patron / God / Care Worker * delete as appropriate * visits them again in their sleep and whispers " .......... Some wear their Heart on their Sleeve others hide it away "
if they STILL don't get it then the next night the Patron / God / Care Worker * delete as appropriate * visits them stood next to the Box with a big pointy sign which says " THE BG'S HEART IS IN THIS BOX YOU CAN'T KILL HIM WITHOUT KILLING HIS HEART - WHICH IS IN THIS BOX !!!!
or is that too subtle ??? :)

Remove ads