• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E As a DM - Your Top 3 Most Hated Spells

Yeah, Wishes are great as one-off rewards. As a spell you can just take at a high enough level, there’s no way for it to both live up to its name and be remotely balanced.
I have an idea. Bring back aging but ONLY for the one that created the wish magic. If you die from aging due to this rider effect of wish (not from wishing to age) you turn into an undead on a preset table which no 9th or lower magic can return you to normal from.

This has the added bonus of explaining why you can award people with wishes thay dont age them while also explaining why magic items carrying a wish are so very rare.

Also if you give a ring of three wishes and the party kender bard decides to use the wishes on 3 extremely petty and magically taxing things it would perfectly dovetail into why a vengeful powerful undead mage is following the bard and will stop at nothing to kill them off and remove them from the party. cough sorry. Player killer dm took over my mind for a second there.

Anoth

Adventurer
I can’t Begin to describe how much I love counterspell in 5E. This is where taste becomes everything. I think it is the best spell dueling system to date. It’s so thematic to me.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
1. Guidance. I want to take a piss. I cast Guidance. I want to order a sandwich and don't know how much to tip. Guidance. Everything I do in life, Guidance.

2. Healing Spirit. If I had not nerfed this one per Crawford's guidance (total healing capped at 2x casting modifier), would've been totally banned. I have awesome players, because the guy who bought the book and thought about using it said "what can we do to make this happen, because it looks too powerful." Bless you my child.

3. Leomund's Tiny Hut. This spell went from, in prior editions, a basic "protect you from the elements" spell to "complete invulnerability bunker." It's a total BS spell for 3rd level to make you invincible, despite the casting time, and has been the subject of constant debate on its abuse. My solution: find the AD&D version and adopt that. I don't know who was smoking what when they decided to change this one.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
you are assuming that the party is blind & not reacting to the ambush being set up around them before it can be setup.
To be fair, the party has two hours of light activity to react, and are limited to things they can do from inside the bubble. The enemy has 8 hours of any kinda activity to prepare for enemies that are limited to a bubble in their own territory. Tiny Hut is definitely a top tier spell, but there is a degree of vulnerability to using it carelessly.

You are also assuming that just because those organizations have access that every part of it has quick access to it.
I don't know that I would classify 8 hours as "quick" but I suppose it is heavily context dependent. Of course the rules for resting give the enemy even more time to prepare if the PC's try and abuse it further.
  • PC's nova their way in
  • Rest in the Hut for 8 hours
  • Have a quick 5 minute work day, nova the next encounter
  • Set the dome back up
  • Twiddle their thumbs for just shy of 16 hours, because you can't long rest more than once/day
  • Long rest for 8 hours
This gives the enemies a whopping 32 hours for a dispeller or other such countermeasure to be dispatched, assuming the enemy was unaware of the PC's before the 1st nova. Which is not to say this scenario playing out every adventure is healthy, but I bet giving them a bad experience or two if they get complacent will help wear away at the feeling of safety this powerful spell is giving them.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads