D&D General "As a Player, I Alert the DM When I Notice Them Make a Mistake in the PCs Favor" (a poll)

True or False: "As a Player, I Alert the DM When I Notice Them Make a Mistake in the PCs Favor"

• True.

Votes: 89 93.7%
  • False.

Votes: 6 6.3%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Again, what I think is a simple premise -

True or False: "As a Player, I Alert the DM When I Notice Them Make a Mistake in the PCs Favor"

DMs have a lot to remember, and sometimes this plays out in them forgetting something that makes things harder for the PCs and you notice it - maybe the monster is resistant to the damage just dealt to it or it should have had advantage on an attack or saving throw but the DM only rolled once in their hurry to move things along, etc. . ..

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
As a GM, I am grateful when I get rules assistance. So, I try and help out as a player. I dont feel great when taking advantage of a mistaken ruling on either side of the screen. Now, if the rule sucks, then its houserule time. You dont get there unless you discuss them as written.

G

Guest 7034872

Hm. Well, on the assumed hypothetical where I actually would notice such a thing, I likely would mention it, though depending on context I might do so only in private, outside of the game (no one likes a pedant and it's sometimes rude and impolitic to mention these errors publicly).

Really, though, when I'm a player I rarely notice such stuff because my mind is highly focused elsewhere.

How many polls left, el-remmen? These've been a lot of fun.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Absolutely, but then, I'm a DM with more experience than anyone that I've every played under. I try very hard to let them DM and step back, but I'm a helpful guy, so I'll help wherever I'm needed and step back whenever I can. I like to think I juggle it well. I don't think I've ever stepped on anyone's toes (maybe softly).

I also like my players helping me out. DMing is enough work that I don't need to do it completely alone.

aco175

Legend
I do this now since the point is more to gather with friends and family, but maybe not as much when I was 12 and played with other teenagers to gain power and treasure.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
True. That's that whole "trust" thing that makes a game* run more smoothly for everyone.

* Same applies for pretty much everything in life, for that matter.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
We're playing a game together. A rather complex one with lots of rules, exceptions, and moving parts.

How could I not point it out. It's basically lying through omission. If I'm playing a boardgame and someone makes a mistake in the rules, I point it out. In an RPG where there's a heavy trust component it's even more important.

I will go further and say that if you know the rules say different and you would speak up except that the mistake benefited you (directly or indirectly), then that's actually across the line to cheating.

Remove ads