Ashamed of being a Gamer?

Those who hide and lie, like me, obviously think the stigma is quite strong.

It probably depends on the people you know.

I don't think it does, really.

I grew up in the Midwest, in the middle of the Bible Belt. In high school, I was beat up on a weekly basis for my hobbies. I currently work in a highly regulated, professionally driven industry. My fiancee's family is very religious. I had over $200 in gaming books ruined at a local bar when some friends and I were playing (a couple of 'necks came up and "accidentally" spilled their beers over the entire table).

Even with all of that in my past, I'm still an outspoken gamer. I have geeky custom license plates on my car. I show off my game room anytime someone new comes over to the apartment. I wear a D20 Stickpin on my suit at work.

Anyone who judges me for my hobby can **** off. If they belittle me or make my life more difficult, they obviously don't want to be part of my life. I'll be happy to oblige them.

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Hear what you're saying, but it gets a bit lost in the "Quite a few gamers (and geeks in general) are on the autism spectrum", which is a generalisation and (frankly scary) medicalisation of both autism and gaming.

The research I came across tentatively suggests that speaking to yourself is possibly associated with intelligent, adaptive people who are unconsciously adopting an efficient learning and coping strategy. No wonder Torquemada was after them :)

I don't quite get what you mean by that. It is a fact that a large percentage of geeks, including gamers, are on spectrum. Most of them never need any related medication. It is just another way of being.

I agree on talking to youself being a good way to learn and cope, however I seem to do it too loud, which is why I get the occasional "shut up" when the others around me want their peace and quiet. Most of the time, I don't even notice I'm doing it.

I don't care how people look btw, most of the time I won't even notice. I'm faceblind and often even forget hair or skin color (seriously) never mind what anyone was wearing unless it is a costume. I remember smells and sounds though.

catsclaw227

First Post
It is a fact that a large percentage of geeks, including gamers, are on spectrum.
What would you consider a large percentage? I've met several hundreds of D&D/TTRPGers, Trekkie/StarWars, ComicBookers, etc in my lifetime, but only one or two would I consider to have an ASD and even then, only mildly.

What would you consider a large percentage? I've met several hundreds of D&D/TTRPGers, Trekkie/StarWars, ComicBookers, etc in my lifetime, but only one or two would I consider to have an ASD and even then, only mildly.

I think what the quoted poster meant was "A larger percentage of gamers are on the Autism Spectrum than the percentage of non-gamers on the Autism Spectrum.".

The Shaman

First Post
A good analogy (that will, amazingly, be accepted by some of you, I'm sure) is to consider a 45 year old man who still collects and plays with GI Joe. Picture a guy who comes home from work, takes out his dolls, puts them into action poses, and plays through stories in his head with the GI Joe and all the accessories.
This is why you have children, 'cause no one bats an eye if you're playing action figures with your kids.

;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Anyone who judges me for my hobby can **** off. If they belittle me or make my life more difficult, they obviously don't want to be part of my life. I'll be happy to oblige them.

With respect, in the current economic climate, not everyone can afford to take that attitude, at least with respect to their place of work. Obliging them means seeking a new job in a tough market.

Given a choice between "be outspoken" and "keep up with my mortgage payments", being quiet probably seems to be a pretty solid option.

Remove ads