D&D General Asian D&D

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Finally cracked open my copy of Journey to the Radiant Citadel, and looked at Umizu. I am interested in a Japanese-inspired locale as well. And… it is a page and a paragraph. No maps. Umizu is a city-state and there is no sense of a larger country that it is a part of. It's like giving me info on Kagoshima but not telling me it is part of Japan or even the island of Kyushu. I also purchased Out of Luck from the DMsGuild. Aside from a map of a boat, I have no idea what the region is really like. Pretty disappointing. I am open to a Japanese inspired place that is not Kara-Tur in D&D but this one isn't really it. Not as is anyway. I hope they revisit trying a Japan (and other Asia) inspired areas…
It's a single adventure, not a setting book.

I seem to remember that a few of the Radiant Citadel adventure creators were intending to write up more detailed gazetteers of the settings for their adventures and put it on DMsGuild. Did that ever happen, does anyone know?

Hussar

Legend
Honestly? Probably the best way forward is to make settings that aren’t so much of a mush mash.

So you could have a fantasy Asia setting where the various cultures are presented as geographically distinct as well as culturally. That way you avoid a lot of the ick factor of over writing one culture on top of another.

We do the same largely for a lot of fantasy takes on culture already. Fantasy Rome, Egypt, Mesoamerica, even quite a few European settings tend to be culturally distinct.

It's a single adventure, not a setting book.
I understand that. Earlier in the thread some people were writing that the setting could be used instead of something like Kara-Tur. I'm disappointed that it isn't even close. I don't even really see the point of the adventure being set there (instead of somewhere more generic) with how little setting there was.

I did not purchase this. Does it have more detail on the settings?
You can read the entire thing (with a great big 'sample' watermark over each page) by clicking on the 'full size preview' link on the page. I've skimmed through it, but it seems more an expansion on the Radiant Citadel material than a setting from scratch. I think you'd need Radiant Citadel on top of this, it doesn't look standalone.

I support the idea of fictional fiction based in Asian cultures should be published in the Western market to help against the sinophobia, xenophobia and those things, to build bridges between different cultures.

And we need clear and coherent criterias about when something is or isn't cultural apropiation.

Asian companies should support the idea of an isekai+jianghu D&D because this could be useful to introduce their own IPs in the Western market. Of course D&D has got a different style, because it is not about one hero against the villain boss or an enemy army but a heteregenous group exploring and investigating beside the epic fights.

Some Japanese franchises are used to the merger with Asian and Western mythologies, and this is not wrong.

Hasbro also could sponsor Asian artists and these would create settings, with the necessary retouchs for the Western audiences.

Finally cracked open my copy of Journey to the Radiant Citadel, and looked at Umizu. I am interested in a Japanese-inspired locale as well. And… it is a page and a paragraph. No maps. Umizu is a city-state and there is no sense of a larger country that it is a part of. It's like giving me info on Kagoshima but not telling me it is part of Japan or even the island of Kyushu. I also purchased Out of Luck from the DMsGuild. Aside from a map of a boat, I have no idea what the region is really like. Pretty disappointing. I am open to a Japanese inspired place that is not Kara-Tur in D&D but this one isn't really it. Not as is anyway. I hope they revisit trying a Japan (and other Asia) inspired areas…
Draw a map. It's the cultural details that are important, geography is geography no matter what your culture.

The DMG supplement has additional location descriptions, factions, encounters and mini-adventures. The only additional map is San Citlan.

Remove ads