Assassination! DM: FourMonos Judge: Renau1g

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Ok, I officially hate PBP now. Czern has moved 17 squares and attacked before Cheal even got to do anything.

Btw, could we have a rule where ONLY 4M changes the map and everyone posts the squares that they are moving to (as opposed to stating that they moved where they moved)? (sorry 4M, but this is only the beauty of Google docs in some apps, not in an FRPG)

The map is too fluid if everyone is constantly changing it. IWith static maps, everyone can see where the PC started. With dynamic maps where people do not post the square where they move each round, it's chaos.

Or maybe we could have a different google map for each round which would solve these types of problems for us old grognards.

Alternatively, Chael could just charge 17 squares and nobody would really be the wiser because the map went away. ;)

Also, could the bad guys be labeled G1 through G3, T1, T2, R1, R2, and Ring or something? I cannot tell who is who.

Plus, what are the R's on the map?

[MENTION=2011]KarinsDad[/MENTION], if we wanted only 4M to change the map, image would be much easier to setup. This is the point of adjusting, that when you look at the map you see real positions, not those from the start of the turn.

As for movement, it's DMs job to keep saved old maps and check if someone moved illegally, but I don't think it's a big issue if occasionally something slips through...I hated going over ten posts to see who did what and moved whom where before posting my actions. It's more important to see where the character is now then where he started from.

And seeing how this format is being adapted in ever more games, I'd say you'll need to cope with it.

Four R is Rhona on Olaf.

[MENTION=88601]FourMonos[/MENTION], maybe few more columns on the side to add name, current hp and temporary effects on the characters and/or map legend?

As for movement, I always state to which square I move my character instead of saying 'to current position' because someone can inadvertently move it (when setting up zones or something)

My 2 cents

FourMonos

First Post
OOC: [MENTION=2011]KarinsDad[/MENTION] I hear you, I really do. But this isn't a table top game, so we have to make some accommodations to make the game run smoother. I think of it as 'a game similar to D&D'. It just doesn't run as smoothly when everyone isn't sitting/standing at the same table, thus my take is: our rules are a little different.

As I said before, this is my second time DM'ing. Still learning what works for me and the players. I think you've got some good points.

So, let me change hats....

GM: First, I like the fluid maps. I don't like it (when I'm a player) when I have to ask for a mid-round map update to figure out who died, made a zone, is in what square now (or ret-con when two people ended up in the same square) and all the other things that happen after each post. This makes the game move faster, which while not always be the ideal way to play, the faster the game moves, the better it is for almost everyone's enjoyment. So I'm sticking with it.

Same with Mal's rules (or Mal rules!). Post when you can post. You can RP explain delays in actions why someone (crazy undead death knight you've never met before) would rush in where your character may be waiting for an opportunity, but the system favors ease of use.

All the character's starting positions are marked on the [stats] and [enemies] sections of my posts. If you're not sure where people were at the beginning of the turn, feel free to check there. I try to double check everything on the DM posts before finishing a post, but I'm human and sometimes mistakes happen.

That said, I would like everyone to post their move from here on out and see how that goes. It only takes another sentence in your post to say "Move K-2, 3, 4, L-5". So please try to do so in order to monitor conditions/terrain/hazards.

[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] I did keep an extra tab for stats, conditions, hit points, ect on the map before (as you recall from my L4W adventure) but it was just too damn redundant. And I thought a relative waste of time. If everyone requests a section on the map that has all these highlighted, I can do so. However, that's why I keep those update on the DM posts.

Also, I should have marked the pedestrians on the map to indicate the difficult terrain areas. I intended it to change as it went, but I will add that to the map now, including a key.

Lastly, I didn't label the enemies on purpose. You don't know these guys. They don't have name tags like "Hello my name is BOB and I'm gonna stab you in the throat". If they were a ghoul, gnoll and a human, different story, but these guys are bunch of humans you've never met before. That's why I added the free perception check to help start identifying who is who ;). I actually thought you, in particular, would really like that aspect.

As always, I appreciate the feedback and constructive criticism.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I don't mind having numbers instead of names around :) As for stats, you were in Colloseum, were you not? Remember those two columns on the right of the map (not new tab/sheet, just two columns to edit statuses like cursed, slowed etc...) or hit points of the monsters? :) Also, KarinsDad, if you didn't beat the initiative (and you didn't)of the bad guys, you don't get to act before them, while Czern did.

Venakhad moves forward, but is way behind undead knight who didn't even stop to consider the setup. He walks as far as he can before pushing people to hurry up. His raspy voice doesn't carry far, but several people start as mental voice shouts in their head.

"Move, people, or more will get hurt! Get the guards, save your lives!"

[sblock=Actions]
Move: F7 -> E13
Move: E13 -> D19
Minor: whatever skill would help to move people faster (diplomacy?) +12

(also, DC 20 is passive perception for Venakhad)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
Czern's blow lands heavily on the cleaver waving goon. Waiting for the attack, he swings the cleaver at the knight, but goes wide.

GM: Czern hit on the first roll and did not need to roll again or use Divine Guidance.

Readied action: Cleaver attack is a miss.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Lastly, I didn't label the enemies on purpose. You don't know these guys. They don't have name tags like "Hello my name is BOB and I'm gonna stab you in the throat". If they were a ghoul, gnoll and a human, different story, but these guys are bunch of humans you've never met before. That's why I added the free perception check to help start identifying who is who ;). I actually thought you, in particular, would really like that aspect.

OOC: I was asking for that since the PCs do get to see which NPCs are hit, which NPCs are using what weapons, etc. It's just hard to tell which NPC is the guy who got hit twice and is carrying a longbow if all I have is a 3. Note: And yes, I didn't want to know who the ringleader was. He's just another clown in the way as far as Chael is concerned. I did like that aspect.

I just had a hard time reading the map, especially since it was shifting so quickly.

I was also a bit bummed when I looked at the map two days ago and it looked like I would be in combat this round (since I thought that the melee NPCs would actually move up and melee) and then I looked at it yesterday and the battle was suddenly moved 17 squares away. ;) No worries. It's all good.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Chael and Dusk move up cautiously.

"Hey gargantua! Could you move this sack of worthless meat out of my way here?

Chael has a +2 power bonus to all defenses due to Dusk, a +2 bonus due to partial cover behind the beast in front of her, and a +2 bonus due to total defense. Dusk has a +1 item bonus plus partial cover behind Chael.

[sblock=Actions]
Move: Move to D15, Dusk moves to D14
Standard: Total Defense
[/sblock]

[sblock=stat block]
Chael - Female Longtooth Shifter Hybrid Battlemind | Sentinel Druid
Advantageous Conditions: 5 temp hit points at the start of all encounters (Psionic Vigor)
Adverse Conditions:
Initiative: +4 Passive Insight: 26 Passive Perception: 26
Senses: Low Light Vision
HP 66/66
Bloodied 33
Surge Value 17; Surges Per-Day 12/12
AC 28 Fortitude 23 Reflex 19 Will 22 Speed 5
Currently AC: 32, Fortitude: 27, Reflex: 23, Will: 26 plus partial cover

Action Points: 1
Second Wind: Not Used

Dusk:
HP: 33 Senses: low light vision
Speed: 6, Initiative: equal to Chael's
AC: 21, Fortitude: 23, Reflex: 19, Will: 15
Currently AC: 22, Fortitude: 24, Reflex: 20, Will: 16 plus partial cover

Powers:
At will:
Battlemind's Demand
Conductive Defense
Forceful Reversal
Magic Stone
Melee Basic
Mind Spike

Encounter:
Camouflage Cloak
Guardian's Counter
Healing Word
Longtooth Shifting
Psionic Vigor
Second Wind
Wind Wall

Daily:
Aspect Of Elevated Harmony
Wall of Thorns

Trained: 11 Athletics, 13 Endurance, 16 Insight, 16 Perception
Untrained: 2 Acrobatics, 5 Arcana, 4 Bluff, 4 Diplomacy, 9 Dungeoneering, 9 Heal, 5 History, 4 Intimidate, 11 Nature, 5 Religion, 2 Stealth, 4 Streetwise, 2 Thievery

Feats:
Hybrid Talent
Heart of the Blade
Melee Training (Wisdom)
Mark of Warding
Longtooth Spirit Shifter

Magic Items:
Belt of Vigor
Boots of Fencing Master
Amulet of Protection +2
Twilight Heavy Shield
Blood Fury Longsword +2
Dragonrider Scale +3
Siberys Shard of the Mage
2 Potions of Healing
Companion Defender
[/sblock]

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
"Excuse me, sorry." Alexia mutters, passing by Chael and Dusk. "Pardon me, just trying to get through," as she squeezes between Olaf and the wall.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Move to C15.
Standard->Move: Move to C 21[/sblock]

[sblock=mini stat block]Alexia Madgearu - Vryloka* Bard 8
*Insight DC 29 to notice she's not human.
Initiative: +4 | Passive perception: 20 | Passive Insight: 22
AC 25 | F 20 | R 19 | W 22
HP: 65/65 | Bloodied: 32 | Surge value: 16 (14 when bloodied) | Surges: 11/11
Speed: 6 | Languages: Common, Dwarven
AP: 1 | Second Wind: not used
MBA: +11 vs AC, 1d8+3, +2d6 on crit
Powers: Cutting Words, Guiding Strike
Lifeblood, Majestic Word (2/2), Words of Friendship, Essence of Death, Divine Challenge
Shout of Triumph, Rally the Spectral Host, Unluck
Stirring Shout, Satire of Bravery
Inspire Confidence, Ode to Sacrifice
Performer's Longsword, Screaming Drakescale, Symbol of Scorned Fate

Conditions:
[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
Street Fight, Round 3

The last of the pedestrians are urged out of the way by the cleric or flee petrified from the dire boar.

The central goon shouts out orders, marking himself as the leader, "Yeah Boris, go take d'em out. Drop em wit' bolts you two. Leek, let's finish off old bones here."

Three goons move forward and attack the bard with sword and crossbow. She is able to dodge the sword attack, but leaves herself open to a solid hits from the crossbow bolts.

A ruffian with swords dances around Czern, surrounding him and landing a solid blow to his right shoulder. The other two surrounding him, including the leader, can not take advantage of the numbers and fail to hit him again.

One human panics at the sight of the direboar and tries to take it down with his short bow. The arrow clinks off the boar's armor. The second human with a shortbow takes advantage of the clearing crowd and lands a solid arrow in kal'Tarron's shoulder.

[sblock=current conditions] The pedestrians have cleared off, opening the street for the melee. [/sblock]

[sblock= Round Summary]
Czern charges, hitting ring leader for 30 damage.

Malehan moves forward, marks ring leader as oath of enmity target

kal'tarron moves forward.

Venakhad moves forward.

Rohna moves forward.

Alexia moves forward.

Chael and Dusk move forward.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Map Details]
Illumination: Daylight.

Black squares are buildings.

Brown squares are carts/booths: difficult terrain.

Map.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
Czern Belog (E-27): 65/85; HS 14/15; AP 1; Second Wind; Status:

Chael: (D-15): 66/66; HS 12/12; AP 1; Second Wind; Status: +2 all defenses (Dusk), partial cover, total defense

Dusk: (D-14): 33/33 AC 21 F 23 R 19 W 15 Bonus: partial cover, +1 defenses if adjacent to Chael.

Malehan (F-21): 68/68; HS 9/9; AP 1; Second Wind; Status:

Alexia Madgearu (C-21): 51/65; HS 11/11; AP 1; Second Wind; Status:

kal-Tarron (G-17): 45/56; HS 8/8; AP 1; Second Wind; Status:

Venakhad (D-19): 59/59; HS 8/8; AP 1; Second Wind; Status:

Rohna
(C17-D18): 76/76; HS 13/13; AP 1; Second Wind; Status;

[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy Actions]

Goon 1: Move to C-27. Crossbow attack vs Alexia: Hit for 7 damage.
Goon 2: Move (around Czern) to D-25. Crossbow vs. Alexia: Hit for 7 damage.
Goon 3: Drop crossbow. Minor: Draw Morningstar, attack vs. Czern: miss.

Thug 1: Move to D-29. Short bow vs. Rohna's boar: 1d20+13, 1d8+3 → ([17, 13], [4, 3]): Hit for 7 damage (-10 damage reduction).
Thug 2: Short bow vs. kal'Tarron: Crit for 11 damage. Rolls.

Ruffian 1: Move to C-22. Nimble Slash vs. Alexia: Miss. Shift to C-25
Ruffian 2: Nimble Slash: Shift to F-26. Attack vs. Czern: Hit AC 31 for 15 damage. Whoops, forgot the -1 damage, 14 then.

Ringleader: Hammer attack vs. Czern: Rolled a 1.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemies]
Ruffians: ??AC ??F ??R ??W
1: (C-25) Damage taken:
2: (F-26) Damage taken:

Thugs: ??AC ??F ??R ??W
1. (D-29) Damage taken:
2. (G-28) Damage taken:

Goons: ??AC ??F ??R ??W
1. (C-27) Damage taken:
2. (D-25) Damage taken:
3. (F-28) Damage taken:

Ringleader: (D-28) 18 AC ??F ??R ??W
Damage taken: 30
[/sblock]

GM: Man, I need more goons. They hit more than anyone else. Heroes turn.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Malehan move forward and through the enemies with such a swiftness that they can't even react. He then surprise the Ring leader and swing his Falchion, wounding and tripping him.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Move: From F21 to G21->G22->G23->G24->F25
Standard: Shift to E26->D27->C28->C29 Angelic Alacrity vs AC on Ring Leader (1d20+16=31, 1d20+16=30, 4d4+11=21) Hit for 24 damages (Avenging Resolution, all 1 and 2 count as 3 on damage rolls).
No Action: Takedown Strike, Ring Leader takes 5 damages and is prone.

Summary:
Malehan is at C29
Ring Leader took 29 damages and is prone.

[MENTION=88601]FourMonos[/MENTION]: Divine Guidance is used before you are aware you hit or miss, so it is used up. And summary block coming soon.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=To Players]
@.Players: Anyone who want can use this power for an attack roll of a daily power.
Divine Guidance (Immediat Interrupt * Close Burst 10)
Target: An ally within 5 squares of you hits with a melee attack
Effect: The target can either spend a healing surge or make two damage rolls for the attack and use either result.
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Immediate Interrupt]
@.DM: Also, during the monster turn, Malehan might use one of these interrupt. If more than one trigger is valid at the same time, use the first in list. Please note I might change the Triggering conditions.

Great Hunger Falchion (Immediate Reaction)
Trigger:
1) An enemy adjacent to you scores a critical hit against you.
2) The enemy is not a Minion.
Effect: Roll this weapon’s critical damage dice (including any extra damage from the weapon’s property => +2d8, add +2d4 for each critical rolled during this encounter) and deal that much damage to the triggering enemy.

Belt of Raging Endurance (Immediate Interrupt)
Trigger:
1) An enemy hits you and causes damage.
2) Malehan takes 15 damages or more.
Effect: You gain resist 15 against that attack, but you also take 10 damage at the end of your next turn.
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Malehan's Stats]Malehan
Elf - Avenger - 8
Initiative +9
Passive Insight 19; Passive Perception 31
HP 68/68; THP 0; Bloodied 34; Surge Value 17; Surges Per-Day 9/9
AC 26; Fortitude 18; Reflex 22; Will 22
Speed 7
Action Points: 1

Current Effects: None

Basic Attack: Overwhealming Strike Fullblade +15 vs AC 2d4+11 damage and you shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you occupied.

Skills: Acrobatics +16, Nature +11, Perception +21, Religion +11, Stealth +15, Thievery +15
Languages: Common, Elven

Powers
[ ]Bond of Pursuit
[ ]Overwhealming Strike

[ ]Elven Accuracy
[X]Oath of Enmity
[X]Channel Divinity (Abjure Undead or Close.pngDivine Guidance)
[X]Takedown Strike
[ ]Centered Flurry of Blow
[X]Angelic Alacrity
[ ]Sequestering Strike
[ ]No Respite
[ ]Refocus Enmity

[ ]Aspect of Might
[ ]Menacing Presence
[ ]Soul Seeker

[ ]Acrobat Boots [W]
[ ]Symbol of Scorned Fate [E]
[ ]Belt of Raging Endurance [E]