• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Assault on Stormbringer Castle

Voda Vosa said:
OOC: invisibility to the party, then levitate to get us on the towers. Of course Mirm will be in the last tower, so he can cast levitate to the others. Then use some signal to levitate and attack all at once.

OOC: There are a couple of potential pitfalls to this strategy. First, the towers (other than the two at the gates) are extremely far from each other. In the case of the back towers, they are nearly a quarter mile apart. Coordinating an attack from the towers if there is one PC in each of the six towers would be difficult without something rather flashy. Second, Lord McDurmott mentioned that there is a tower inside the castle walls that houses the Storm Giantess and you have no good intel on what actually lies inside the walls. If you take over the towers, you could certainly use the ballistae but it might be difficult at best to coordinate together. You can proceed with that plan if that is the consensus, I just wanted to make you all aware of the potential difficulties.

Shayuri

First Post
(mew...yar...I think splitting up is a bad idea. Having played some tough battles in other games, I find most adventuring parties mortality rates sharply spike when they separate. A better plan would be to scale or penetrate the walls as a group...or even to get close enough undetected to use other intelligence gathering means (arcane eye, scrying, etc) to see if there's vulnerabilities inside. Ari assumes that the inside of the back wall is lightly guarded, and might (or might not) have ample hiding places...but she's quick to note that all she knows for certain is that it's very big, and hasn't got much coverage, guard-wise. That makes it a potentially good point of entry...but she'd have objections to any plan that required the group to split its forces.)

Voda Vosa

First Post
OOC: I see... What if we take one tower? If they are var from each other, they wont notice. From there I think we could get a better panorama

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
ooc: The dwarf wouldn't like splitting unless we had no choice. We have a choice right now. I vote we take one tower. If they discover us in the tower, at least we have a place we could defend decently.

maddmic

Explorer
Not being a strategist, Kale was only half listening, and nodding when he thought a good point was brought up. This last point seemed to be the one that the majority of the group was gravitating towards. Becoming somewhat impatient with their lack of decision thusfar, he looks from one to the other.

"Very good then. We shall scale the wall and attack one tower as quietly as possible, allowing us to take a look around the inside of the keep. I shall be able to provide a quiet enough way for us to get in as long as we all don't mind being close to each other."

Clearing his throat and looking for confirmation, he gestures towards the keep. "So then if we are all in agreement, we should be on our way..."

The decision made, the group carefully makes their way up the mountain, having to avoid one aerial patrol of gargoyles along the way.

You all find your way to the rear, mostly unguarded castle wall and take up a position about fifty yards away from the northwest tower, hidden amongst some rocks. One ogre can be seen in the tower manning his ballista but he is likely bored and possibly not paying a great deal of attention as he is mostly looking at taller mountains behind the castle and is not guarding a direct approach.

No other activity can be seen as the sun begins to slip down behind the mountains...

Remove ads