D&D 5E Assuming no GWM/SS, are different fighting styles roughly balanced?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
DMs need to keep the ammo rule in mind because it imposes a couple of constraints that are worth having now that WotC have thrown away so many. One is that the CE/SS Hand Crossbow wielder can't fire four times then change weapon or switch to shield, because they lack a free interaction to do it with. They can't haul out a potion of healing and quaff it. If they are falling back, they can't open any doors. I will admit this is all kind of clutching at straws, but then... it is in the existing rules so why not use it?

Umm, it doesn't require an object interaction to draw arrows from your quiver. You do that for free as part of your action?

CapnZapp

Legend
Umm, it doesn't require an object interaction to draw arrows from your quiver. You do that for free as part of your action?
He's talking about the bonus action, the one Crossbow Expert gives you. He's arguing since it isn't part of the Attack Action, the free draw doesn't apply.

But he also agrees this changes very little in the end, at least when talking to someone like me who doesn't try to give this character a shield

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
He's talking about the bonus action, the one Crossbow Expert gives you. He's arguing since it isn't part of the Attack Action, the free draw doesn't apply.

But he also agrees this changes very little in the end, at least when talking to someone like me who doesn't try to give this character a shield

Even though the rules say drawing the ammunition from a quiver, case or other container is part of the attack. Weird?

clearstream

(He, Him)
With your attack action, each attack includes a load but not a reload. At the end of your attack action, the crossbow is empty. In order to get your bonus attack, it must be loaded. Therefore you must use your one free interaction with an object to load it between action and bonus action.

clearstream

(He, Him)
*shrug*

Since it didn't change anything in the end, I didn't feel it worthwhile to debate him on that.
Go on, debate me. You'll see I'm right (on this, if nothing else). How can we trust you if you aren't applying the rules correctly?

:D

With your attack action, each attack includes a load but not a reload. At the end of your attack action, the crossbow is empty. In order to get your bonus attack, it must be loaded. Therefore you must use your one free interaction with an object to load it between action and bonus action.

clearstream

(He, Him)

Is it enough, no. But it is something. The character cannot quaff a potion, cannot ready a different weapon, cannot take up a shield, cannot open a door. It means for example that they cannot quaff potion of invis, fire with advantage, fire, fire, fire. If disarmed, they can't ready their spare hand crossbow and make four attacks.

If we can't get our ruling on Ammunition straight, why should we be trusted on everything else?

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Sorry but there's only one word that accurately describes the hand usage rules, and that is...

Clusterf*ck

So I'm kind of sensitive. I'd rather decline your generous offer to discuss them...

clearstream

(He, Him)
Sorry but there's only one word that accurately describes the hand usage rules, and that is...

Clusterf*ck

So I'm kind of sensitive. I'd rather decline your generous offer to discuss them...
That's fine - and kind of understandable - so let's just go with on this one I'm right. And take that into account when assessing everything else (to whatever extent it turns out to matter).

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads