D&D 5E Assumptions about character creation

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I have seen a number of people claim that the game ‘assumes’ a certain score in a certain stat.

the default assumption is that scores are rolled.

just curious. I assume people put a good score in main/attack stat, but where has that been explicitly stated?

additionally, I have seen assertions about the math of the game likewise assuming certain scores in certain places.

any specifics would be great. Common sense says bonuses are good but where is that written? Just curious as the game seems to be less lethal than some past editions...

R_J_K75

Legend
Hardly anyone actually rolls anymore, and if they do, they keep rerolling until they get what they want. Anytime I suggest rolling, people just stare like I'm insane. Then bitch when I don't let them reroll 1s or reroll all 6 or whatever. It's shameful.

It is most definitely less lethal than early editions.
I never allow people to pick scores. They have to roll...period.

R_J_K75

Legend
additionally, I have seen assertions about the math of the game likewise assuming certain scores in certain places.
I had never heard of bounded accuracy until I started reading the message boards. Im still not totally clear on what is it and at this point dont really care. But if this is truly the premise on which the math of the game is based itd have been nice that it was stated and briefly explained somewhere in the core books, which as far as I know it is not specifically. Might be alluded to or implied.

R_J_K75

Legend
Bounded accuracy = shrinking the number range so weak monsters stay viable longer and rules breaking happens a bit less.

In other words, WOTC's way of "fixing" D&D.
How do magical items play into this? As I understand the game is built so PCs dont need to acquire them as they advance to defeat higher level threats.

Remove ads