D&D General At what level(s) do you start your D&D campaigns?

At what level(s) do you start your D&D campaigns?

Votes: 80 75.5%

Votes: 41 38.7%

Votes: 7 6.6%

Votes: 4 3.8%

Votes: 2 1.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.9%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• 19+

• Other: Explain in thread

Votes: 9 8.5%

shesheyan

Explorer
We often ask at what level campaigns end but at what level do you start them? I used to start them at level 1. Now I start at level 3. I recall starting one at level 5. Highest I started was level 9 to do a specific module mini-campaign. What about you?

You can make multiple votes.

Laurefindel

Legend
Level 2 or 3.

Level 2 allows for multiclass characters from the get go, and provide enough durability to avoid (most) accidental death by a single event of bad luck. Also, 2nd level characters are, across the board, a bit more balanced against one another than 1st. My favourite starting point.

Level 3 allows for all (single-class) characters to fulfill their concept including a sub-class. I don't care much for training wheels levels if i'm going to rushed them anyway because the players are not into the thrill of early level fragility.

Odysseus

Explorer
I typically run two types of campaign.
1. We start at 1st level and go till we want to change.
2. Campaign with a set goal, which typically is shorter and starts mostly at a level above 1st.

Richards

Legend
I start at 1st level, pretty much without exception. And in my upcoming campaign, I've decided to try something new and do away with XP - I'll have 5 adventures (which last one game session) of every level, for a total of 100 adventures in the campaign. So the PCs will get to be at first level for five whole sessions before advancing to 2nd, and so on.

Johnathan

Oofta

Legend
I've started campaigns with a more established group at level 0 - the PCs are kids and they're getting to know each other. Great opportunity to really figure out what they want to be when they grow up, the dynamics of the group and to establish the setting from a different point of view.

But usually I start at level 1 and get through the first couple of levels fairly quickly. I personally really enjoy low levels, but I know most people are impatient to get their shiny toys.

Remove ads