• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E At Your 5E Table, How Is It Agreed upon That the PCs Do Stuff Other than Attack?

How Do You Agree the PCs Do Stuff in the Fiction Other than Attack?

• Player describes action and intention, states ability and/or skill used, and rolls check to resolve

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Player describes action and intention, and DM decides whether an ability check is needed to resolve

Votes: 100 90.1%
  • Player describes action only, states ability and/or skill used, and rolls a check to resolve

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Player describes action only, and the DM decides whether an ability check is needed to resolve

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Player describes intention only, states ability and/or skill used, and rolls a check to resolve

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Player describes intention only, and the DM decides whether an ability check is needed to resolve

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Player states ability and/or skill used, and rolls a check to resolve

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Player asks a question, and DM assumes an action and decides whether an ability check is needed

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.8%

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I initially avoided this thread - but I am curious: Is anyone consistently using one of these options at any table where they play? I get it all as a DM, and I do it all as a player. The only answer I could give is other because I use all of them, and none of them are used infrequently.
Yes, I only use "Player describes action and intention, and DM decides whether an ability check is needed to resolve" as a player and DM in D&D 5e. It's in the table rules that I share with players for every adventure or campaign. As a player, whether the DM is fine with people asking for checks or not, I'm not asking for them, and to foster clear communication I state my goal and approach with reasonable specificity, always.

jgsugden

Legend
Yes, I only use "Player describes action and intention, and DM decides whether an ability check is needed to resolve" as a player and DM in D&D 5e. It's in the table rules that I share with players for every adventure or campaign. As a player, whether the DM is fine with people asking for checks or not, I'm not asking for them, and to foster clear communication I state my goal and approach with reasonable specificity, always.
So what do you do if a player blurts out, "I'm rolling a perception check?" Tell them they have to describe what they're listening/looking/smelling for, even if it is totally obvious? And wjay if they say that they're taking a moment to look for something, but there is a clear audio clue they could hear - if they roll a good perception check for their attempt to look ... do they miss the audio clue because they did not say they were listening?

It just seems that there are so many organic ways to get to the conclusion and trying to force all of those organic methods to reroute through one specific method would be awkward.

Oofta

Legend
So what do you do if a player blurts out, "I'm rolling a perception check?" Tell them they have to describe what they're listening/looking/smelling for, even if it is totally obvious? And wjay if they say that they're taking a moment to look for something, but there is a clear audio clue they could hear - if they roll a good perception check for their attempt to look ... do they miss the audio clue because they did not say they were listening?

It just seems that there are so many organic ways to get to the conclusion and trying to force all of those organic methods to reroute through one specific method would be awkward.

I find it hard to imagine how 100% fidelity to a strict procedure would actually work in game. How do you say you want a knowledge check? What's the description for an insight? Why does it even matter?

Some things I can envision, even if I don't think it adds value to the game and is not my preference for other reasons. Other things? I just don't see how it would work. I've also never seen it in real life or in any streamed show.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

I ask them to tell me what they are trying to accomplish and how. Maybe there's a roll and maybe there isn't - I can't decide that until I hear what they want to do. It isn't awkward - it's people communicating clearly to each other.

Voadam

Legend
I find it hard to imagine how 100% fidelity to a strict procedure would actually work in game. How do you say you want a knowledge check? What's the description for an insight? Why does it even matter?
Knowledge. "How much do I know about arcanoloths?"

Insight. "I try and read his body language, anything funny?"

Oofta

Legend

Which is something my players may say at my table. They can also say "Knowledge of arcanaloths?" or "Insight check?" I don't see those statements as being different. At least not in substance or clarity.

After all an insight check can be not just body language but tone of voice, pattern of speech, eye contact or lack therein, words chosen, etc.. Insight check covers a lot of ground.

If the phrases you list work, then all you've accomplished is replacing 1 or 2 words with several. But once I knew what you wanted to hear I might as well pull out flash cards to save time. There are only so many ways to say "What do I know about ___?"

Voadam

Legend
Which is something my players may say at my table. They can also say "Knowledge of arcanaloths?" or "Insight check?" I don't see those statements as being different. At least not in substance or clarity.

After all an insight check can be not just body language but tone of voice, pattern of speech, eye contact or lack therein, words chosen, etc.. Insight check covers a lot of ground.

If the phrases you list work, then all you've accomplished is replacing 1 or 2 words with several. But once I knew what you wanted to hear I might as well pull out flash cards to save time. There are only so many ways to say "What do I know about ___?"
A key difference is that there might be no PC roll called for.

"You looted and read The Book of the Damned from the lich's library, it had an entry on them. Arcanoloths are an intelligent and powerful type of the fiend known as yugoloths, or daemons. You know that . . ."

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So what do you do if a player blurts out, "I'm rolling a perception check?" Tell them they have to describe what they're listening/looking/smelling for, even if it is totally obvious?
It’s not totally obvious. “I’m rolling a perception check” doesn’t tell me what the player is trying to accomplish or what the character is doing to try to accomplish it, it only tells me they think their training in perception is relevant to their chances of success. What I would do is tell them that; something along the lines of, “I’m hearing that you want to use your character’s training in perception to spot, hear, or otherwise detect the presence of something. What is it that you’re trying to find, and what does your character do to try and find it?
And wjay if they say that they're taking a moment to look for something, but there is a clear audio clue they could hear - if they roll a good perception check for their attempt to look ... do they miss the audio clue because they did not say they were listening?
If there’s a clear audio cue they could hear, that should have been part of my description of the environment in the first place. Maybe contingent on a successful passive Wisdom (Perception) check, if hearing it would be particularly difficult, such that it would only be noticed by someone who is continually engaged in watching/listening.
It’s quite organic, it’s just a different mindset than a lot of people have been trained to use when playing D&D.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Not to speak for @iserith and they’re welcome to correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that they do not consider a question to be a declaration of action, they would ask that the player state what they want to learn and how they try to learn it. For example, “I think back to my long nights in the Arcane library to try and remember the details of the arcanaloth’s behavior patterns” or “I pay close attention to his body language to try and read his emotional state.”

Remove ads