D&D 5E Attacking on an ally's space

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Personally I think they didn't do that because they don't want a hard rule; sometimes it probably does make sense to let a character take an action while in motion. The example of attacking mid-jump is a good one.
I want to back you up here. But I took a lot of heat in the weapon of warning thread, and I'm not following you down that road again. You're on your own this time. ;)

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Heat is why it's good to be a tiefling ;)

Actually though I think my dash example is a killer. Is anyone really going to argue that you have stop moving to dash?

darjr

I crit!
Personally I think they didn't do that because they don't want a hard rule; sometimes it probably does make sense to let a character take an action while in motion. The example of attacking mid-jump is a good one.

I do appreciate that the rules have a lot of leeway and allow for DM's and tables to adjudicate differently. The amazing thing to me is how well the whole holds up even if a lot of that is done. It's one of the reasons I love this version of the game, well and this game and hobby.

And if you don't see stop, well I'm not that concerned, really.

Have fun!

Hussar

Legend
Heat is why it's good to be a tiefling ;)

Actually though I think my dash example is a killer. Is anyone really going to argue that you have stop moving to dash?

But there's no actual problem. Mechanically if we're going 100% RAW, all that happens is you take the dash action before you enter the allies square. Then you dash and then you finish moving.

Technically yes, you cannot dash from an allied square. But since the resolution is so simple, I wouldn't actually call it an issue.

The monk thing though is kinda wonky. I see the point there.

Remove ads