D&D 5E Attribute Score Method

How do you determine a character's ability scores?

• Roll 3d6, Down The Line

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Roll 3d6, With Adjustments

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Roll #d6, Down The Line

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Roll #d6, With Adjustments

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Point Buy

Votes: 72 66.1%
  • Other (Not Rolling or Point Buy)

Votes: 22 20.2%

ccs

41st lv DM
But it does still happen. I've seen multiple 18s, low of 14 for one PC while another PC had a single 14 a 12 and everything else lower than 10. It's one of the reasons I'll never use rolling.

Since we allow you to choose wich stat method you use,, we're fine with that type of outcome.
You chose to gamble & we know any fantastic results were rolled honestly.
If your not feeling lucky? If you definitely want a certain score? If you can't handle low scorez?Then don't choose to roll....

Oofta

Legend
Since we allow you to choose wich stat method you use,, we're fine with that type of outcome.
You chose to gamble & we know any fantastic results were rolled honestly.
If your not feeling lucky? If you definitely want a certain score? If you can't handle low scorez?Then don't choose to roll....

I still wouldn't want to do that, I've seen too many PCs with poor scores commit suicide by goblin. But it's not my game and if it works for you more power to you.

ccs

41st lv DM
I still wouldn't want to do that, I've seen too many PCs with poor scores commit suicide by goblin. But it's not my game and if it works for you more power to you.
[/scores Then?

Yes, we call that playing in bad faith & that'll get you serious ** from the other players and the DM.

jgsugden

Legend
1.) 2d6+4 six times. If you keep them in order you get a perk (like an ally, a minor magic item, a skill proficiency of my choice, etc...)

2.) I built a deck of 300 index cards a few years ago. Most cards have an ability score and a number on them. Some have quirks or abilities. Some have a number and a few options for ability scores. There is a broad selection.

When a group is starting a campaign, I deal out 1 card per player face up. Then I give each player plastic gold coins. Then, they take turns nominating a card and bidding on it. Highest bidder gets the benefit of the card for their character generation. I add a new face up card after each biding process. If you run out of coins before you have 6 cards, the remainder of your ability scores come from the 'B deck' which is filled with ability scores that can be used on any ability, but each card has a challenging quirk on it as well. Some cards just screw with the mechanics of the draft.

Example cards:

• Discard immediately if face up anreplace with a new card. When discarded, all players lose 10 gold.
  • 18 Strength - subtract 1 from all other ability scores.
  • 14 (Strength, Dexterity or Constitution)
  • 15 Dexterity - +1 Initiative, -2 to WIsdom.
  • There is no bidding when this card is selected. Instead, the player gains 10 gold. All other players gain a red card and you gain a green card. A player with a red card may discard their red card to negate the bid of a player with a green card.
  • If you win the bid for this card, you may add 1 gold to the card. Discard this card and take the gold when you win a bid. Add 1 gold to this card whenever someone else wins a bid.
  • Move one of your purchased ability scores to Intelligence.
  • 12. You may apply this to any number of your open ability scores.
  • 06. Roll a d10 to determine which ability score to place this ability in. 1-2, Strength, 3-4 Dexterity, 5-6 Wisdom, 7-8 Intelligence, 9-10 Charisma. If you already have an ability score assigned to that ability, reduce the number to 6. Select 15 feats. The DM will choose one of them for your PC to have.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Currently, we roll two separate sets of 4d6d1, and you get to choose between the two sets; if neither set has a total modifier of +3 or higher, you get to reroll both or you can take the standard array. Makes for more powerful characters, but my groups and I find it fun.

For my next campaign, I'm considering a couple different options:

Option 1:
  • Every Stat starts as a 6.
  • Roll 6d6 and place them wherever you would like.
  • Roll 1d6 for each stat straight down.
Option 2:
  • Roll 4d6d1 straight down.
  • You can either then switch two of your stats, or reroll one of your stats (but not both).
I might end up just keeping what we've been using, since we've been using it since before 5e came out.

FireLance

Legend
I use the standard array currently, but I've been toying with the idea of adding a random element to potentially create characters with unexpected strengths.

First, assign ability scores using the standard array. Then, roll 3d6 for each ability score in order. Use the random roll if it is higher.

This method creates characters with higher ability scores than standard, but the increase is more likely in an ability which the player didn't consider to be important and assigned a low score than an ability that was assigned a high score initially.

There is also more variation in players' characters, but barring a highly improbable series of high rolls, the difference will not be significant and the baseline standard array ensures that all characters have a minimum level of competence.

I should get round to trying it out one day.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I think it's been this way since 3e came out. Having said that, I've seen this questions asked elsewhere. GMs prefer point buy. Players have a more mixed attitude. What the GM says goes though.

I voted for point buy. As a GM I never allow stat rolling. As a player I don't participate if stats are rolled.
This GM for one most certainly does not prefer point buy. Roll all the way, both as GM and as player.

(and how can I see the poll standings without voting? As it's intended as a 5e-only poll and I don't run 5e I'm in theory not supposed to vote...)

Remove ads