D&D 5E Attribute Score Method

How do you determine a character's ability scores?

• Roll 3d6, Down The Line

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Roll 3d6, With Adjustments

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Roll #d6, Down The Line

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Roll #d6, With Adjustments

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Point Buy

Votes: 72 66.1%
  • Other (Not Rolling or Point Buy)

Votes: 22 20.2%

I think your poll would be more informative if it had specific stand alone options for 4d6 drop the lowest and standard array, given that those are presented as the default options in the player's handbook.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This is for people who are using the 5e version of D&D. Please don't vote for what you use if you use a different version of D&D. I am just curious where the 5e crowd sits on this issue. Thank you for your consideration and vote (or no vote)!
I vote #roll with adjustments, because it was the closest to what we do.

I have the players assign two stats 5d6-2L, two stats 4d6-L, and two stats 3d6 straight up. Then after they roll, they can swap one pair of stats, because I want them to be able to play the class they want and sometimes bad luck strikes.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I use the card method. I think I found it on the Paizo forums years ago for Pathfinder 1e, but I use it when I run 5e.
  1. Shuffle together two sets of cards each numbered sequentially from four to nine.
  2. Deal the cards face down into six piles of cards sized two cards each.
  3. Flip over each pile, add together the numbers on the cards in each pile, and write down individually each resulting number.
  4. These six numbers are your ability scores. Assign as you see fit.
When I ran 5e, I required that no stat including racial modifiers added up to more than 17. I did that avoid starting with 20s and keep things in line (more or less) with the standard array.

I think your poll would be more informative if it had specific stand alone options for 4d6 drop the lowest and standard array, given that those are presented as the default options in the player's handbook.
Dang it! I've never read the 5e books so I had no idea! I was just curious what the new trends are. So far it looks like rolling for attributes is the least preferred method.

I've played around with offering up some variety of arrays. Just to make different character types possible.

Things like:
Str 14, Con 17, Dex 13, Int12, Wis 13, Cha 14.
Str 16, Con 12, Dex, 14, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12

Which would make for potentially interesting characters which you would never see via point buy or even die rolls where the results are put in the stats you picked.

But ultimately, it's probably not worth the effort.

RogueRonin

Explorer
I'd been having players do 4d6 drop the lowest, any order, since I started playing 20 years ago. Did my 5e games like that too, until the current game. We're playing on roll20 now, and I decided to have them do standard array since it's easy in the charactermancer, and I kinda like it better. I might just do point buy or standard array from now on.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
Because people wanted to roll, (4D6-L) but we were concerned that we may end up with characters that were not as good as others, we came up with this: The DM rolled 4d6-L seven times. We dropped the lowest. We could then each take these stats and put them in whichever abilities were best for our character.

ccs

41st lv DM
"Other" I guess.

In the games I run the players can take their choice of what to use;
1) Standard PB from the PHB
2) Standard Array from the PHB
3) Roll. 4d6, keep 3. Repeat 6 times. Place results as you please.
IF YOU ROLL: You'll roll in front of the group & there's no mercy. You'll keep what you rolled & you'll play the results in good faith. Afterall, you were the one who chose to gamble with your stats....
Each player gets to decide for themselves wich method to use & they're not allowed to bitch about someone elses stats.
My players almost always choose to roll.

In games I play in? I use whatever method the DM specifies. Though I do prefer to roll & if that's not given as an option I'll ask if I can.

Remove ads