[AU] Lost Dreams: The Stone Troll

GladiusNP

First Post
Aadin Lofgred, 3rd Level Human Runethane

Aadin nods to Kalythar as the litorian rises, inclining his head and touching his forelock.

"Many thanks, good sir. Your generosity to this weary party is appreciated."

As the Litorian walks away, Aadin looks at Gren, listening to the other man as he takes a long slow draw from his pipe. The young man then restlessly shifts his bad leg, and exhales a quick puff of blue-gray smoke.

"In the house of my father, such largesse was common. I can remember many merchants buying him drinks, meals, and gifts. But they all had one thing in common. At the end of the day, they always asked for something. I believe we've yet to see what the Litorian needs. Still, I see no reason that we can't travel with him - we do need the coin.

After engaging in a short debate with Gren about not sleeping in stables, Aadin gives up, wearily shuffling to Mr. Jonas, and asking for rooms for himself and Sharilan.

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
Mr. Jonas is happy to arrange rooms for you. The thought of having the wolf in his stables is a little upsetting, but he has seen many who call wild animals family and none have caused any problems so far. The night passes quietly and comfortably. The next morning the man meets you in the common room as he promised. Beside him is a young man wearing a light chain shirt and bearing a sword at his hip.

"Good morning all, this is Korwin Krenn the forth member of our guard. The other two are waiting with the caravan at the master's compound in the northern part of the city." says the recruiter in greeting.

Mr. Jonas clears away your breakfast and takes the 3 gold coins from you for the room and food. Inviting you to stay at his establishment the next time you are in town. He also agrees to take a message from Kalythar to the War Guild if so desired.

"I guess we are all ready to go. After you gents, miss." The recruiter says as he ushers you out side. It is a little chillier this morning, but the sun is burning out over the sea. Things look like they will improve given the chance to warm up a bit.

The man leads you all through the city gates and past the liveried guards. You find yourselves in Lobrethin, the uptown part of Ao Manasa. To your right you pass a few buildings, behind which lies Kalythar's guild. Up ahead on your right you spot the grand Ao Manasan University, with its strange and fantastic architecture. The main hall spirals high into the air, spindles like a pinwheel fan out from it creating an interesting appearance.

As you move beyond the university you can see another set of gates looking out over the lower part of the city. Passing underneath, the guards watch as you make your way down slope of Highhill road. Now in the more common part of town you make your way through the lower market as housewives barter with shopkeepers who are just setting up their stalls. Smells of fresh bread and fragrant flowers drift to you as you pass.

Once clear of the market you make your way across the bridge over the river. Above it lies the headquarters for the city guard, looking impressive in its giantish architecture. On the north side of the river, the man leads you up the Winter Road a little ways and into a walled compound on the left.

"Here we are. I'll let the master know that you are ready."

You can the small caravan off to the right inside the compound. Two wagons are being hitched to horses and a few others mill about waiting for the impending departure. Moments later a small man dressed in a heavy black fur cloak comes ambling out of the large wooden house ahead. Making his way over to you he speaks in a nasally voice, "Welcome, I am Master Mollen, thank you all for signing up. We need some strong arms in case of trouble on the road. We have had word that some of the caravans have been ambushed by all manner of creatures. Just last spring Gri-Taresh, the steward of the city, put a bounty on the dire creatures which prey on travellers. We will be heading out in a little while, let me have your names first and we will get to the contracts before heading out."

Corinthi

First Post
Erekose13 said:
"Welcome, I am Master Mollen, thank you all for signing up. We need some strong arms in case of trouble on the road. We have had word that some of the caravans have been ambushed by all manner of creatures. Just last spring Gri-Taresh, the steward of the city, put a bounty on the dire creatures which prey on travellers. We will be heading out in a little while, let me have your names first and we will get to the contracts before heading out."

One of Gren's bushy eyebrows quirk upwards as he looks across at the caravan master. Although a short man, Gren's stockiness makes him seem considerably larger than the fur cloaked caravan master. Rinaldo, perhaps sensing Gren's discomfort, issues a soft warning growl toward Master Mollen.

"Hush now. He's just different," Gren reaches down to scratch Rinaldo under the ear as he replies to Mollen's request. "I am Gren and this is Rinaldo, my boon companion. Forgive my interuption of the morning's preparations, but I am not much of a reader. Could you explain the contract to me?"

DrSpunj

Explorer
Kalythar, Litorian Mageblade

Kalythar does ask Mr. Jonas to let the Warguild know of his current commision, and thanks him for bringing it up. "This thing just came up on me so quickly, I completely forgot about letting them know about it!"

Addressing Mister Mollen, after Gren has spoken, "Yeah, I don't like trying to wade through all that rhetoric, myself. Why don't you just sum it up for us, Mister Mollen?"

Then, before Mister Mollen can start his reply, Kalythar quickly sticks out his hand to be shook and says, "By the way, name's Kalythar, of the Devanian Warguild." (If he's writing it down Kalythar will look over his shoulder to make sure that his name is spelled correctly, probably crowding his personal space unabashedly to do so. :))"What kind of goods are we protecting, anyway?"

GladiusNP

First Post

Aadin leans onto his spear, taking the weight off his left leg. He frowns slightly as he listens to both Kalythar and Gren, then says,

"My companions may have been a little hasty- I'd certainly be happy to take a look at the contract first, Sir. I am Aadin Lofgred, formerly of Ka-Rone."

To himself, he thinks, They are both too trusting. I suppose not everyone thinks like a merchant, especially not swordsmen.

Aadin then carefully reads the contract as Mister Mollen outlines it for the others. He looks up expectantly when the cloaked human has finished, wondering, like Kalythar, what they are protecting.

Erekose13

Explorer
The Contract

The younger man steps forward when you have finished your introductions, "Korwin Krenn, sir." He says nervously. He looks quite young and his nervousness may bely some inexperience. From your short trek with him through the city you get the sense that he is trustworthy atleast.

Master Mollen hands the contract to Aadin for perusal while he answers the other's questions.

"Well, Mr. Kalythar we are going to be bringing some supplies to help the miners and gold seekers for the winter. And we are also bringing a few items for trade with the Faen in Brightholme. The most important part of the trek will be our return however. I have employed several people at the site of the gold rush and they have managed to collect a number of peices for me. As the winter feels like it is coming on early I would like to move my assets to a more secure place here in the city. If you have any other concerns please do ask."

Scanning the contract Aadin you find that it is for the most part to your liking. It is as the recruiter said, 1 gold peice per day. Double the payment on successful completion of the mission. The contract period has been stipulated as 2 weeks or until the safe return of Master Mollen, which ever is longer. A seperate bonus has been included for any dangers that are encountered along the way. Creatures such as dire wolves, trolls and goblins all have a bounty listed and any other hazzards like weather all have a rate associated with them. The language of the contract is like some of that you have seen before, but still it is kind of mindboggling. There are no clauses that jump out at you, besides the period of contract. One thing that you do notice that is quite different from other mercenary contracts is that any loot taken from creatures is to be split among the guards. Normally such contracts do not allow for such a clause, but it could be the distant locale way up here in the north that requires a bit more insentive.

As you finish Mollen says, "It is all to your liking, Mr. Lofgred, I assume. If you do have any questions please feel free to ask."

DrSpunj

Explorer
Kalythar, Litorain Mageblade

Kalythar looks at Aadin expectantly, waiting for him to finish persuing the contract. He briefly gives Korwin a once-over glance and flashes him a quick smile (though it might appear to a human as a snarl, of course) before returning his attention to Aadin.

GladiusNP

First Post

"This all seems more than fair. Do you expect trouble on the way, or should we find our path clear?"

Aadin notices Kalythar's toothy grin to Korwin, and takes a slight step back. He grins weakly at the Litorian when the Mageblade's attention returns to him. Aadin then carefully signs his name across the bottom of the contract, and sketches a small sigil after his signature. He then hands the contract back to Master Mollen.

Erekose13

Explorer
Korwin seems a bit startled by Kalythar's grin, but moves over and tries to engage the Litorian in a bit of small talk while the Aadin finishes reading the contract that he has already signed. "Weathers getting a bit cold, though your fur seems warm enough. Glad I brought my winter gear." He says patting his backpack.

To answer Aadin's question, Master Mollen says, "Yes, I fear that we might encounter some trouble along the way. The Road Wardens do their best to patrol the roads closest to the city, but once we get out past Brightholme things are a bit more wild. As I mentioned, Gri-Taresh, our noble Steward, has recently put out bounties on trolls and other beasts of the wild - specifically to entice adventurers to help deal with the problems plaguing caravans. I think with the 6 of you there should be no problems in dealing with the few things that I have seen along this trek. There might be a few problems with bandits. Some of the other gold diggers have been attacked for their gold especially when they decide to make the journey in very small groups."

Corinthi

First Post
Having seen Aadin sign the document, Gren adds his scrawl to the form in an uneven and ineligible hand. He then takes a few steps back as he looks about, adding a bit of grisly insight, "If you take a few extra pack beasts then large predators shouldn't be too much worry to the caravan. Most will attack the easiest prey and then only until they've fed."

"Reynaldo and I are good scouts and would be better used in such a capacity. We are used to hard overland travel and do not tire so easily. I do not have a signal whistle though. Not used to forward scouting for others."

Remove ads