[AU] Lost Dreams: The Stone Troll

Erekose13

Explorer
"I usually like to keep my guards close to the caravan, however I can see the wisdom in scouting out. I don't believe that we have a whistle here and I would like to head out as soon as we can. I will get one for you when we reach Brightholme and if you are willing to scout from then on out, I would like you to proceed. If you are all ready then, I will get the last few things ready and we will leave within the hour." Master Mollen says to Gren's suggestion of the scouting. Pleased that everything is proceeding according to schedule he heads back into his house shouting orders to his servants to gather things.

You have a few minutes to get acquainted with the other guards before heading out. The other two standing by the wagons introduce themselves as Lemm and Frez Drossler. Brothers, they are professional caravan guards and have been in the business for a couple of years. They signed on with Master Mollen a year ago and have travelled with him on many occassions. The drivers for the wagons have also been working with the Master for atleast a year. Along with Korwin, you four are the new recruits so to speak.

With the time remaining before you depart you have the opportunity to talk with any of those standing around or make any last requests.

DrSpunj

Explorer
To Korwin, "Aye, my tribe lives out on these steppes", pointing in the proper direction, "so I'm used to the weather out here. However, we don't make it into the hills much at all, and the mountains almost never. I, too, am expecting to feel the bite of the cold as we travel further."

After Aadin and Gren both sign, Kalythar does so as well. His eyes seem to sparkle a bit when Master Mollen mentions the various types of trouble the caravan may be in for, then walks over to meet the other guards and drivers.

"Ho, there! Name's Kalythar! Looks like we'll be sharing this stretch of road for a while." Shakes both their hands as introductions are exchanged. "Since you've been with him on a fair number of excursions, would'ja mind letting us know some tips of the trail? Are there campsites he usually uses? What's the layout of the camp at night? Any particular areas just ripe for ambush? You know, those sorts of things."

GladiusNP

First Post
Aadin Lofgred, 3rd Level Human Runethane

Aadin looks at Korwin and Kalythar, then readjusts the straps on his backpack. He leans slightly on his spear, ready to be off. He moves slightly closer to Gren.

"Just in case we do run into trouble Gren, I've got some warding runes to place on your armor."

Unless Gren objects, Aadin then looks through narrowed eyelids at the shorter man's chest, and then moves his hand in a few broad strokes. Nothing appears on the armor, but he frowns slightly, then adds another, much smaller stroke. He leans back, satisfied, and nods in approval - though there is still nothing there.

"Now, make sure to come back in three hours - the rune should start to fade around then, and I'll need to reinscribe it to make sure it retains its power."

Aadin then leans back onto his spear, and listens to Lemm and Frez's answers to Kalythar's questions.

Last edited:

Corinthi

First Post
Gren, Human Wolf Totem Warrior

Gren seems perhaps a bit perplexed at Aadin's actions, but traveled with the frail looking runethane enough to grown used to his particular quirks, "Yes, Aadin. Three hours or there abouts." Gren looks up to mark the sun's position in his mind.

Looking back to Aadin, "We'll be heading out soon, maybe I'll have time to circle as we travel and look for a bit of game. I've not had a good hare recently."

GladiusNP

First Post
Aadin Lofgred, 3rd Level Human Runethane

Aadin grimaces.

"I'm sure you'll have time to hunt something up - though I've never been overly fond of hare. I'd forgotten we're back on trail rations now... I wish I'd had some more of that bacon at breakfast."

Erekose13

Explorer
Kalythar heads over to the other guards standing by the wagons. A little in awe about the Litorian's stature, the guards are none-the-less friendly to their new companion. After a little while speaking with the brothers you determine that Mollen likes to keep the wagons in a tight line and that the road is good for the most part until after the faen village. Once the caravan moves beyond that point the guards or on alert and there is no relaxing at night. He usually places the two wagons close together and has the guards on duty watch from above the wagons. A small fire on either side illuminates the few deserted way stations that they normally stop at. There is one place that provides some difficulty in traversing the rising hills as the gold rush nears. The hills in that area are sometimes quite slippery and the horses have some difficulty. There have been attempts to attack the caravan in the past, but they are usually less than intelligent species of troll or beast that are easily repelled.

A little while later Master Mollen comes out of the house with the last few supplies for the journey. With everything packed you set out along the road heading west. A little before lunch clouds begin to move in obscuring the nice sun and making things a little chillier then they had been this morning. In the late afternoon darker clouds begin to move in, threatening a storm at any time.

Master Mollen calls a halt as the caravan reaches the first way station shortly after twilight. A small wooden fort opens to the caravan revealing a well lit area. The guards above the entrance wave the wagons in and you can see tabards depicting a white fist. Inside Mollen tells you to get the wagons batted down and to arrange a single guard for them for the night. The horses are taken by the drivers to the stable while the 6 of you organize things there. Once you have gotten the wagons ready for the night the 5 who are not on duty head into the small tavern off to the left.

[occ: let me know guard order, i will let you decide on when Korwin and the brothers take their turns. then its off to the tavern :)]

Corinthi

First Post
Gren - Human Wolf Warrior

Gren kneels down and begins scritching behind his wolf's ears. "Reynaldo and I will watch tonight. We've little love for taverns and would prefer our repose to be away from pitch fires and waste buckets."

He grins over at Aadin, "Go get some rest in a bed, my friend. This travel is not easy on you, I can see that. We'll keep the merchants good safe, and if anything happens, Reynaldo's howls can wake the dead."

Reynaldo merely stares unblinkingly at those gathered, his eyes reflecting the moonlight oddly and his tongue lolling idly out the side of his mouth.

DrSpunj

Explorer
Kalythar, Litorian Mageblade

Looking mostly to the brothers: "Well, I'm not sure how you've worked out call duty before on previous trips with Master Mollen. When I've been involved in such things it seemed to be about three four hour shifts, affectionately called Strong, Long & Brave, though usually that's with a pair of guards up at the same time. I'm not sure how things are done with just a single person on the job.

Anyway, since Gren & Reynaldo have already volunteered for the first part of Strong, I'll volunteer for Long, either all of it or the first part, whatever works best. I've always had trouble sleeping straight through the night anyway. Who wants to fill in the holes?"

He then looks around expectantly at the others.

Remove ads