• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Authors and Artists that still Wage-Slave

Ostlander

First Post
I'm a new old visitor (I used to go by the handle Shivamuffin...boos and or hisses may apply)of this site and it's nice to be back.

I've recently wrote my first book and I don't want to pimp it yet; that's not the purpose of the thread. This is for the people who are either working on (Or have actually done it) their next great novel or art piece and still endure the drudgery of wage-slaving to pay the bills.

Some people seem to think that once they get their art seen or their work published that all of the sudden it's a penthouse in NYC, dinner parties, and what not...The reality is that life continues on unchanged for the most part and it would be interesting to chit chat about it...I suppose, maybe not...the thread is here.

papastebu

First Post
I'm in the middle of the first draft of my twenty-year project, a novel-length book. I am not working, due to a recent injury and surgery, but I would be if I was able. Still, it is nice to be able to get two-thirds of my income and still have time to write.

I read that Orson Scott Card works--or worked, it was a while ago--in a department store for insurance porpoises, just because insurance is so blankin' high, anymore. If he does it, who am I to complain about necessity.

Ah, if only things were simpler. :\

Ostlander

First Post
If I had the time; the work I could do would be immense...at least I believe that.

It's difficult to just jump into "the mood" when a third of the day or more has been spent doing another's bidding, LOL.

20 year project!? WOah...It must really be something you have to do then...A spiritual must do or something?

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Congratulations on the book! That's great! Do you have a publisher?

Actually, I'd be really interested to hear how you found a publisher, negotiated a sale, all that kind of thing. I have no idea how it works.

Ostlander

First Post
Oooooh my publisher is, well...they publish books and there are advantages and disadvantages. The work gets out there though and that is at least a chance.

I just cruised the net one day and inquired...the company has a bad rap, but like I said, the work gets out there.

No sale really; they accept and offer a contract, you sign and then hope for the best. It's my first time at it, so I'm no expert, LOL.

Well established, well know publishers go through agents now...basically pay to have a chance at getting published! No way, I'm already poor and don't need to get poorer.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
So, did you have to pay to get the book published? Or did they basically say "We'll publish it for free, and pay you royalties, but no advance?"

Obviously, ignore these if they're too personal. I'm just curious how the industry works.

Piratecat said:
So, did you have to pay to get the book published? Or did they basically say "We'll publish it for free, and pay you royalties, but no advance?"

Obviously, ignore these if they're too personal. I'm just curious how the industry works.
Hey, PC - not sure how it works on the wirtten side of the house but on the small time recording side, that's EXACTLY how I do it. They basically sign over publishing rights (I'm not going to try to fleece anyone out of their intellectual property) and I publish at cost, sell at a profit and give the artist a royalty for their trouble. For struggling musicians this is a great deal becuase there is no recording or pressing fees (at least for them), for the producer this works, becuase once a product pays the bills for the creation, the rest is pure profit, minus the royalties.

Ostlander

First Post
Nah it's not personal at all.

They publish without cost to me and I get a $1 advance to seal the deal. The royalties are quite generous, but I have to do most of the pimping of my work to get it on the shelves of local book stores. Availability is secure online though. I guess if every book published was available in a store, the stores would have to double their size every week or something. The bookstores have to be selective due to space restrictions.

Writers don't get rich that's for sure and the idea of pimping my own work is a ghastly thought, LOL. I even write under a "pen name" to avoid any possible hassle in public; in the event that more than three people read the thing when it hits the market.

Currently it's in the cover design phase and I dread dealing with the artists...herding cats comes to mind!

Another part of the deal I didn't like so much; I would have rather did my own cover art, but that's a no no. I can have all the pics I want INSIDE, but the cover art is soley my publisher's domain.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Ostlander said:
They publish without cost to me and I get a $1 advance to seal the deal.

Don't spend it all in one place, OK?

The royalties are quite generous, but I have to do most of the pimping of my work to get it on the shelves of local book stores. Availability is secure online though. I guess if every book published was available in a store, the stores would have to double their size every week or something. The bookstores have to be selective due to space restrictions.

That makes sense to me. Unfortunately it means you need to get recognized a little before you can have any chance to get recognized a lot.

Writers don't get rich that's for sure and the idea of pimping my own work is a ghastly thought, LOL. I even write under a "pen name" to avoid any possible hassle in public; in the event that more than three people read the thing when it hits the market.

I think mentioning it here wouldn't be a bad thing, unless you fear people not liking it and posting it here.

Another part of the deal I didn't like so much; I would have rather did my own cover art, but that's a no no. I can have all the pics I want INSIDE, but the cover art is soley my publisher's domain.

That's because the cover is marketing. How many people do you know first pick a book up to read the back (or inside flap when you make it to hardcover) because of a cover? A good cover can attract attention, a bad one can kill it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads