B&G's Sinister Silver Edition of Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Following up from their Platinum Waterdeep: Dragon Heist boxed set, Beadle & Grimm have announced their Sinister Silver Edition of Ghosts of Saltmarsh. This deluxe set will include handouts, maps, cards, and more for $175.

amulet.png

In total, the boxed set will include:

• 12+ documents and letters. "Don't describe it, produce it. Beautiful, high quality handouts you can give your players to enchant, educate, or intrigue. All handouts are on high quality paper and fit to be handed out to the players or displayed prominently in your gaming den."
  • 4 Battle maps. "Ghosts of Saltmarsh takes place on or near the sea, so we thought we’d give you a couple of ships, including the Sea Ghost, a fully detailed ship map, and a more generic ship map that allows you to fill in the details on its laminated surface so you can use it both for Saltmarsh, and for all your sea-faring adventures in the future."
  • Large area map. "Big, sinister, and perfect for adventurers to plan their investigations into the horror that haunts the Styes."
  • 30 Encounter cards. "Designed to rest on the top of your DM screen, these encounter cards have artwork on the front and DM info on the back. Your players get to see what they’re dealing with while you have easy access to important stats and role-playing information. 30 encounter cards that cover both monsters and NPCs that your characters may meet in their adventures."
  • Shark amulet and Tharizdun pin. "Real, physical in-world items that you can hand your players. Crafted by Han Cholo, these are items that will thrill your players."
  • 7 modules. "Ghosts of Saltmarsh is a reissue of seven related modules, so we break these out into several separate booklets for the Dungeon Master to make it easy to concentrate on the encounter at hand. Most of the illustrations have been put onto separate pages and designed to hang on your DM Screen to make them easier to reference or show your players during the game. In addition, we’ll include several DM aids, including special maps for the DM to use to keep track of moving monsters, alerted guards, and all the things that go bump in the marsh."
  • Custom DM screen. "This special-edition DM Screen includes unique art you won’t find anywhere else on the outside and quick-reference charts and tables tailored for nautical adventures, with rules around sea encounters and ship battles, on the inside."
  • 12 bonus encounters & characters. "Need quick ideas for encounters at sea? We’ve got you covered with 12 quick side encounters to keep your party guessing. The histories on these characters have been developed to maximize your players’ engagement in their adventures. Allow your group to play them, add them to the party as NPCs, or use them to inspire ideas for their characters’ backgrounds."

I spoke with the people behind this at a convention. I told them if they produced a box set that included pre-painted mini's, they would make an easy sale. Looks like the went the opposite direction, removing the mini's entirely.

Prepainted minis are probably the most expensive option of any mini option, so I'm not surprised.

AriochQ

Adventurer
Prepainted minis are probably the most expensive option of any mini option, so I'm not surprised.

$12 for a box of 4 from WizKids. Lets say they include 48 of them, that is $144 retail. Throw in some maps and little tchotchkes and charge $300-$350. I would be all-in at that price. Granted, they would have to coordinate to get specific minis, but that is why I am paying a premium.

Staffan

Legend
$175 is a much more reasonable price point for a luxury gaming item. That moves it from "No way in Baator unless I win the lottery or something" to "I could buy this if it's really meaty and it's something I want." I have paid as much previously for the TORG:Eternity kickstarter boxed sets, and those were well worth the money (or would be if I could get a game going).

I probably won't buy this though, as I'm not super-interested in the base product, but another player in my gaming group has expressed interest.

I’m honestly tempted this time around. The cheaper price and lack of minis (which I wouldn’t use) has me seriously considering this. I mean, I just paid off some dental work, and this is a heck of a lot cheaper than that.

Von Ether

Legend
I'd rather spend the $175 on new editions of Star Frontiers and Gamma World utilizing the 5e ruleset. Give me an SF Explorer's Handbook and Star Master's Guide, or a GW Gamma Master's Guide and Wastelander Handbook, any day.

Until then, we have Esper Genesis by DM Guild Adept Rich Lescouflair. Good stuff and it's so compatible that if you can play a cleric you can run an Engineer but also with new races and stuff because, you know, 5e doesn't have starships.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/240798/Esper-Genesis-5E-Scifi---Core-Manual

guachi

Hero
$12 for a box of 4 from WizKids. Lets say they include 48 of them, that is $144 retail. Throw in some maps and little tchotchkes and charge $300-$350. I would be all-in at that price. Granted, they would have to coordinate to get specific minis, but that is why I am paying a premium.

I've found LEGO minifigs to be a far better and cheaper option than D&D minis. Unless you like to paint, and I don't as I have no skill.

It's fairly easy to build a small army of figures for your PCs to use and you have the added benefit of interchangeable heads, torsos, headgear, and weapons.

For the record, I went in on this. So did one of the my friends. His reasoning was that he normally comes up with props anyway, so he might as well pay a little extra for some nicer ones and save himself the effort.

sim-h

Explorer
I've found LEGO minifigs to be a far better and cheaper option than D&D minis. Unless you like to paint, and I don't as I have no skill.

It's fairly easy to build a small army of figures for your PCs to use and you have the added benefit of interchangeable heads, torsos, headgear, and weapons.

Why am I getting visions of "The Lego Movie:Tales of the Sword Coast"...:-S

Henry

Autoexreginated
Why am I getting visions of "The Lego Movie:Tales of the Sword Coast"...:-S

Hey, don’t knock it! It’s gotta be awesome — the LEGO Movie tells us so. ;)

I’ve used everything from cardboard pawns, to risk pieces, to the Wizkids stuff, to super-detailed lead and pewter figures — whatever still floats the boat.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases