D&D 5E B/X styled Dungeon Turn rules from the playtest are still in 5e but scattered.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Im also thinking of doing it for the Wilderness Travel rules in there too, though im worried if its worth it.
I would use longer travel “turns” with wilderness travel - hours to days instead of minutes to hours - but otherwise yeah, it absolutely works there too.

FallenRX

Adventurer
I would use longer travel “turns” with wilderness travel - hours to days instead of minutes to hours - but otherwise yeah, it absolutely works there too.
It works fine if you're going to play out wilderness travel.

Just to clarify, the playtest had WIlderness Travel rules as well, and i was thinking about piecing those back together since they are also still in the game.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Just to clarify, the playtest had WIlderness Travel rules as well, and i was thinking about piecing those back together since they are also still in the game.
Right, but they’re basically the same rules. There are some concerns specific to wilderness travel and some specific to dungeon exploration, but they’re built on the same base systems.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
You got 11 Likes so far off the first post, may as well see if you can harvest some more with a Wilderness Travel post.

FallenRX

Adventurer
UPDATE.
Adding in the Map Scale from the DMG. Apparently the DMG considers the size of Squares in a Dungeon to be 10ft, not 5, so the speed on average of a PC moving through the dungeon is 30 squares. This makes the Travel Pace rules make much more sense.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
@FallenRX Nice write up thank you! I also feel the chance for random encounters is too low at 3/20.

Did you do a similar sum up info for the wilderness exploration as well?

FallenRX

Adventurer
@FallenRX Nice write up thank you! I also feel the chance for random encounters is too low at 3/20.

Did you do a similar sum up info for the wilderness exploration as well?
Yes posted it here

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I use the rules and they work well. They kinda work best when they're all being used as sometimes it would seem pointless to do one thing simply because the only thing it affects is something you removed. The fact they don't directly reference them can make it hard for DMs to remove the batches that need to be removed rather than individually remove stuff and realize there is some useless leftovers.

For example, the rules for travel pace has little consequence if minute-by-minute consequences don't exist. So if you're tracking dungeon squares, your players might just see it as needless tracking. They'd be correct in a way.

Minute-by-minute consequences would be tracking spell durations, moving NPCs at their appropriate pace, performing small skill checks, and holding their breaths.

If the players are caught in a poison gas trap and want to hold their breath down the end of the hall, they have a generous 400ft+400xcon-ft to get out before they start suffocating. Of course, having difficult terrain would halve that.

But it isn't really necessary to always keep track of travel pace, so most don't.

Remove ads