D&D 5E Back to DnD after 12 years break. DM-ing questions thread.

Dan Chernozub

First Post
Updated the OP with DPR clarification of breath weapon damage.

Still, don't agree that DPR doesn't calculate the threat from a single fight. Or wait, I do agree - we need to take attack bonuses into consideration. But after that, we can pretty much expect to know how likely is the given encounter to endanger the team.

For example, Peryton has a DPR of 33 in the first round of combat. And an attack bonus +5. IMO it gives a pretty nice understanding of how dangerous it is to a low-level party.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
In SRD (I think it is the right name for thar free-distritubuted stuff?) that I'm looking at he only has Breastplate. With Full Plate, I'd say there is even more reason to keep the shield. Shortsword or not, Breath likely deals more damage, so surviving longer is pretty much a very important thing.

Given characters probably attacking with +6 there is ~33% increase in damage taken from attacks that nee to roll to hit by dropping the shield.

Is this the SRD you're looking at? http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf
It says plate for armor.

BigBadDM

Explorer
Let's take CR out of the equation here and maybe some other thoughts.
One of the most under utilized mechanics are the 'legendary' ones. If this is a BBEG-lite, thing about introducing some in the battle.

Maybe have a Lair action or Legendary Actions for the BBEG. Give the the players a glimpse on what BBEG's poise. And bump up those HP if this is a BBEG (junior or not). Maybe an uncorked firestorm or curtains of fire spring forth on Init20, or something in the environment. Not too much damage, but keep those players on their toes.

If he is in charge of minions maybe give him something like a Hobgoblin Captain's Leadership ability.

Remove ads