D&D General Baldur's Gate 3 will now be releasing August 3rd on PC and September 6th on PS5, increased level cap, race & class details and more

I really need to get back on my playtest version and see how all the new stuff they added plays out, especially since it's been maybe two years since I've been on it...

CommodoreKong

Explorer
I wonder if this is to get around the other big RPG release, Starfield coming out on September 6th. With BG3's original release date I was going to skip it until after I'd had my fill of Starfield, but with an earlier PC release date I may consider buying it on release.

And the PS5 release being the same day as Starfield is less of an issue since Starfield isn't coming out on PS5. Still, competing with that marketing machine for ad space won't be pretty.

Oh yeah while Baldur's Gate 3 is going to sell very well Starfield will be massive on PC and moving it from being a week away to being a month away means more PC gamers will pick up both at launch instead of choosing only one.

It's kind of weird that they start with framing BG3 as a bigger and better DOS2, since that has been and is an anti-selling point for me - I don't want a D&D rpg that don't follow D&D rules and that plays way too much like DOS2. But I'm sure it will sell a gazillion more copies at release, and I'm happy for the many who will enjoy the game.
It is following D&D rules.

I wonder if this is to get around the other big RPG release, Starfield coming out on September 6th. With BG3's original release date I was going to skip it until after I'd had my fill of Starfield, but with an earlier PC release date I may consider buying it on release.

And the PS5 release being the same day as Starfield is less of an issue since Starfield isn't coming out on PS5. Still, competing with that marketing machine for ad space won't be pretty.
I suspect this has a lot to do with it.

EDIT - So it's going to be the dialogue - Mass Effect 1/2/3 combined is 1.2m words of dialogue. Baldur's Gate 3 is 2m words of dialogue.
There is quite a lot of race and class (and even background) specific dialogue in BG3, as well as stuff specific to the seven origin characters. That's going to push the dialogue count up, and probably need a lot of playthroughs to see it all.

You know, this almost feels more like a Neverwinter Nights 3 than a Baldur's Gate 3 for some reason I can't quite place. If they release software to make your own adventures and a DM client--I'm sold.

I haven't really been following it, but it does seem promising.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
You know, this almost feels more like a Neverwinter Nights 3 than a Baldur's Gate 3 for some reason I can't quite place. If they release software to make your own adventures and a DM client--I'm sold.

Yeah, I get a similar vibe. Perhaps one could call it a fusion of the two.

I'm in early access, and it definitely does not feel much like a NWN game. Maybe some of the cut-scenes and characters* are similar to NWN2, but that's the closest it gets. And it's not structured to support easy modding or a DM client. It is moddable, and they haven't tried to make it difficult, but you need to be able to code.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister is far more like a NWN3.

*Meaning irritating and sub-optimally built.

Last edited:

Remove ads