• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Barbarian Feat Progression and a question

RaVan

First Post
I'm looking for some ideas for feat progression for a half-dragon Barbarian...
besides the PHB I've got Savage Species, Oriental Adventures, and Complete Warrior at my disposal.
So far I'm looking at this kind of flow.. .
Power Attack (PHB)
Extra Rage (CW)
Instantaneous Rage (CW)
Roll with it (SS)

And some questions,
1 Can you use tactical feats while you're raging?
2. Why does bonus breath(SS) require extend spell or extend spell like ability when a breath weapon is Supernatural?
3. Can a non-magic user take a metamagic feat, or would this barbarian have to multiclass to get it and then bonus breath?

Thanks -R

Kabol

First Post
alot depends on type of campaign - if you haev LOTS of encounters a day - then extra rage - if dont, no reason to get it since you can only range once a encounter anyway.

If you playing Eberron - Lucky Rage rocks - get it quick.

Power attack, a definate Must

Instant Rage - its Nice one
~~

Alot depends on how you want to play him - is he going to be a tank, or jsut a Dmg dealer? what weapon will you use? - tell what kinda barb your building and i can help more :)

RaVan

First Post
Thanks, I'll see if anyone else in my group is getting Eberron. Or I might have it before I can grab the feat anyway.

Historically there are always three or four encounters before we get a chance to rest. Definately a damage dealer, as much as I can get. Weapon will be a great axe. Though I was just looking at Monkey Grip(CW) and was wondering if a larger weapon would be worth the -2 to hit...

Thanks for the input -R

Last edited:

3d6

Explorer
In regards to Monkey Grip, no. A Large greataxe deals 3d6 damage vs. the normal 1d12. That's an improvment in average damage of 10.5-6.5, or 4. In short, you are suffering a -2 penalty on attack rolls for a +4 bonus to damage rolls, which can be achieved far more easily, and with greater flexibility, with the Power Attack feat.

Darklone

No Cleave???? And Greater Cleave?

I'd think about two fighter levels. Half-dragon? Why not start as a half-ogre and head towards Dragon Disciple?

Li Shenron

Legend
RaVan said:
And some questions,
1 Can you use tactical feats while you're raging?
2. Why does bonus breath(SS) require extend spell or extend spell like ability when a breath weapon is Supernatural?
3. Can a non-magic user take a metamagic feat, or would this barbarian have to multiclass to get it and then bonus breath?

1. Tough question... I don't have CW but I think it doesn't address this doubt, you probably have to speak with your DM about how does he feel about it. To one side being under Rage means you are quite reckless and cannot concentrate well (no spellcasting for example, or using certain skills) however you have to adjudicate if tactical feats require too much concentration... they don't require you any skill check, but they could be imagined to be something similar as using a Profession skill: you may have to be careful and focused to evaluate the tactical advantage and use the feat.
I suppose it could be ruled either way however...

2. Ask the designers ;) It's very typical that the writers are soo careful in trying not to write something easily exploitable that they tend to limit stuff too much. It would make very sense to have a feat which allows a creature with a Breath(Su) ability to simply use it once more per days, and I am sure that somewhere there is this sort of feat for any Su ability.

3. In theory, you don't need to be a spellcaster to take a metamagic feat. Of course, a creature who isn't a spellcaster simply has absolutely no reason why to "learn something he cannot do", which makes no sense. Because of this if you take the feat in order to qualify for the other, you are metagaming.
The polite solutions that come to my mind are (1) allow the specific character to get the second feat without the first, (2) require a different feat which makes sense, (3) rule that the second feat actually costs 2 feats to learn, because the character doesn't have other requisites (spellcasting).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads