D&D 5E Barbarian Path of The Wilden

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, I had a two-fold idea for a Barbarian path.

1. You cast certain spells when you rage, or as a ritual if appropriate, which cause nature to erupt around you and hinder or attack your enemies and help you and your allies. Spike Growth, Speak With Plants, Plant Growth, etc.
  2. You become more and more plant-like when you rage, gaining higher AC and resist poison and acid, and eventually tree stride, etc.
You become a being of nature's wrath as you level, even when not raging you gain traits that mark you apart from your kin and draw you closer to nature's heart.

Thoughts?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Sounds interesting. You may want to borrow/adjust some mechanics similar to the Path of the Storm Herald. Their aura abilities sound like a good foundation for whip-like vine attacks, and depending on how you execute it could allow for some battlefield control similar to Thorn Whip or Grasp of Hadar Eldritch Blast. Making the terrain within 10-15ft of the barbarian become difficult terrain would also be something to explore, perhaps even causing damage at the higher levels of the archetype to replicate things like Spike Growth.

I'm not sure a higher AC would be the way to go, despite spells like Bark Skin being available for inspiration. There's already a lot packed into the design space with an aura whip attack, pulling enemies, and difficult terrain/spike growth. Also it's important to consider that level 10 barbarian abilities are usually little more than a ribbon ability, and level 6 is usually something that is related to movement, utility, and/or exploration. So the meat of the archetype abilities would need to be largely contained in 3rd level and 14th level.

Additionally, I don't know that the design space would allow for any kind of spellcasting. Speak with Plants could certainly be worked in easily enough, but I would suggest the rest being abilities similar to what might be provided by nature themed spells, but not truly requiring spellcasting or the use of spell slots.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your design! I'd certainly be interested to see what you come up with.

doctorbadwolf

Sounds interesting. You may want to borrow/adjust some mechanics similar to the Path of the Storm Herald. Their aura abilities sound like a good foundation for whip-like vine attacks, and depending on how you execute it could allow for some battlefield control similar to Thorn Whip or Grasp of Hadar Eldritch Blast. Making the terrain within 10-15ft of the barbarian become difficult terrain would also be something to explore, perhaps even causing damage at the higher levels of the archetype to replicate things like Spike Growth.

I'm not sure a higher AC would be the way to go, despite spells like Bark Skin being available for inspiration. There's already a lot packed into the design space with an aura whip attack, pulling enemies, and difficult terrain/spike growth. Also it's important to consider that level 10 barbarian abilities are usually little more than a ribbon ability, and level 6 is usually something that is related to movement, utility, and/or exploration. So the meat of the archetype abilities would need to be largely contained in 3rd level and 14th level.

Additionally, I don't know that the design space would allow for any kind of spellcasting. Speak with Plants could certainly be worked in easily enough, but I would suggest the rest being abilities similar to what might be provided by nature themed spells, but not truly requiring spellcasting or the use of spell slots.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your design! I'd certainly be interested to see what you come up with.
Just a quick reply on my break at work.

I’m not suggesting spellslots or the Spellcasting feature. Im suggesting you rage and as part of that cast the spell.

doctorbadwolf

perhaps a rage aura that is like a mix of speak with plants and plant growth, with the ability to entangle people as a bonus action while raging.

although freebie speak with plants x/day is a good level 6 ability that gives utility, effects movement, and makes the plant growth aura something you have more control over.

Remove ads