D&D 5E BarBEARian: Barbarian/Druid multiclass

faria

First Post
I'm thinking of making a Bear Totem Barbarian/Circle of the Moon (Bear) Druid multiclass.

There are a few good options: Barbarian 14/Druid 6, Barbarian 4/Druid 16, or Barbarian 3/Druid 17.

Barbarian 14 gives the Totem capstone Totemic Attunement (Bear) and makes you an amazing tank. CoM Druid 6 for Circle Forms gives me access to the best bear in the game: CR2 Polar/Cave Bear.

Another option would be Barbarian 4/Druid 16 for the Totem Spirit (Bear) and an ASI, then stronger Wild Shapes that aren't bear-related. Aww...

Final option is Barbarian 3/Druid 17. You give up an ASI for a 9th level spell slot. Spells aren't really important with this build, but if that's your thing, go for it.

Forest Gnome fits thematically for the druid dip, will be ridiculously fun to roleplay, and physical stats don't matter when Wild Shaped. Also, while in gnome form, the minor boost to Dex technically gets me higher Initiative to turn into a bear faster.

1: Barbarian 1. A few reasons to start with this class. First, Con saves are common and also useful for Concentration on the rare occasion that I use a spell. More HP, more weapon options, better skills, etc.
2-3: Barbarian 1/Druid 2. Get Wild Shape ASAP. Brown Bears are strong.
4-5/6: Barbarian 3 or 4/Druid 2. Totem Spirit (Bear) makes me a tank, keeps me in bear form longer. Can take Barbarian to 4 for 1st ASI too if you wish.
6-9/10: Barbarian 3 or 4/Druid 6. Get access to the Polar/Cave Bears. 1st/2nd ASI depending. Bear build is finished.
10/11-20: Go the direction you wish from here.

What do you guys think? How would you point buy this character?

Last edited:

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
Unfortunately, 5e multiclassing requires that you meet the prerequisites of both classes. That means you're gonna need at least 13 strength. Otherwise, your barbearian seems like a fun idea and one I've toyed around with before. A raging bear totem bear is a pretty ridiculous sac of HP.

faria

First Post
Well that's a waste of a good stat right off the bat. Still viable. Just have to put a 13 in STR at the start instead of dumping it.

pdegan2814

First Post
One of the guys in my PotA game is doing something like this with a Hill Dwarf right now, and it's been a fun character. He's only taken 1 level of Barbarian so far, since then he's been leveling up in Druid to get better Wild Shapes. We're at 6th level overall right now, once he gets the next level in Druid(for CR2 Wild Shapes) he may grab some more Barbarian levels for that first Totem ability. I *think* he's leaning Bear, though Wolf is pretty sweet too. I have a feeling if we're going up against a bunch of elemental-themed baddies, he's going to want the extra damage resistance though. Raging Wild Shape has proven to be a solid combo, probably the most fun ones so far have been Giant Spider(restraining foes with Web), and Dire Wolf(pack tactics and knocking folks prone).

ADAM O'MAILLE

First Post
Unfortunately, 5e multiclassing requires that you meet the prerequisites of both classes. That means you're gonna need at least 13 strength. Otherwise, your barbearian seems like a fun idea and one I've toyed around with before. A raging bear totem bear is a pretty ridiculous sac of HP.
But the requirements are only for multiclassing, so if you start barb, you can bomb strength because you won’t need it since you will be a bear most of the time anyway. This means pump dex, wis and either con (for survivability) or int (because you keep mental stats in wild shape and skill checks are always nice)

ppaladin123

Adventurer
But the requirements are only for multiclassing, so if you start barb, you can bomb strength because you won’t need it since you will be a bear most of the time anyway. This means pump dex, wis and either con (for survivability) or int (because you keep mental stats in wild shape and skill checks are always nice)

That's not correct..you need to meet the requirements for both classes when you multi-class...including your first/parent class. Also this thread is 2 years old.

pdegan2814

First Post

Read your PHB again, p.163 in the Prerequisites section for Multiclassing :)

Exiled One

First Post
Read your PHB again, p.163 in the Prerequisites section for Multiclassing ...

He Did...

page 163 of PHB;

Prerequisites:
To qualify for a new class, you must meet the ability score prerequisites for both your current class and your new one, as shown in the Multiclassing Prerequisites table. For example, a barbarian w ho decides to multiclass into the druid class must have both Strength and Wisdom scores of 13 or higher. Without the full training that a beginning character receives, you must be a quick study in your new class, having a natural aptitude that is reflected by higher-than-average ability scores.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Mechanically, Monk works better with the Druid, as you retain your Wisdom modifier for Unarmored Defense, and natural weapons are unarmed striks, and so work with Martial Arts.

That said, there's nothing wrong with being a raging Druid, except the Strength requirement.

EDIT: Goddamn necromancers!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Brief necromancy performed on this thread.

Treantmonk will be coming out with an episode on this build. I'm interested to hear what he has to say about it. Has anyone played this build successfully well beyond 4th left? If so, what class or classes did you focus on?

Remove ads