D&D 5E Bard Expertise and Tools

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
And it only steps on the Rogue if a given Rogue would actually want to use their Expertise on Thieves' Tools. Given that playing a Rogue (or any class, for that matter) is supposed to not be necessary to play the game (you want a party of four Druids? Sure, go for it!), it doesn't really make sense to make something a "Rogue-only" option.

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
If there is a rogue at the table I'd say no. If there is no rogue (or plans for one) at the table.... meh?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Does Bard's Expertise apply to tools as well or just to skills? I cannot find a clarification anywhere.
Mike Mearls said it was likely an oversight and agreed it wouldn't break anything to allow expertise in a tool proficiency.

FWIW, I've always allowed it and it hasn't ever been an issue since you don't often roll for tool proficiencies...

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Say, something I've wondered; as of Xanathar's, if you have an appropriate Tool and a Skill that would apply to a task, you gain advantage on certain checks. What would happen if you have Expertise in both Tool and Skill?

Stormonu

Legend
Say, something I've wondered; as of Xanathar's, if you have an appropriate Tool and a Skill that would apply to a task, you gain advantage on certain checks. What would happen if you have Expertise in both Tool and Skill?
Normally, it'd just be your Expertise bonus with advantage. Personally, I wouldn't be against allowing Expertise bonus + advantage, take 10 minimum (as if you had the Reliable Talent).

Remove ads