D&D 5E Bard/Wizard Hybrid Class: The White Wizard

jgsugden

Legend
Wouldn't this be too powerful? To give a Wizard access to Wizard spells AND Cleric spells? The wizard spell list is already very good. The sorcerer list is fairly limited in comparison to the Wizard list so the addition of Cleric spells seems less powerful.
Absolutely not. Not in the least. Not at all.

The spell choices available to each class are more of a matter of thematic alignment than power restriction. Slots per day and spells available at a given time (memorized/prepared/known) are more of a restriction, but the spell list itself is not that significant for the most part. Consider, for a moment, that the bard class already provides a mixture of class spells and can add a few spells from any class. It blurs the lines - but as that is your goal inherently, it is fine.

It would be a minor benefit in my eyes, meaning that I'd give give the School of Divinity a different level 2 ability in addition to this one, although it would not be the strongest of level 2 wizard abilities.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
The only real problem with wizard having access to curative spells is the ''at-will'' 1st/2nd level spell from Spell Mastery, which means at-will cure wound/healing word. It could be problematic for pacing, but its a 18th level problem, so it will not be that common.

Absolutely not. Not in the least. Not at all.

The spell choices available to each class are more of a matter of thematic alignment than power restriction. Slots per day and spells available at a given time (memorized/prepared/known) are more of a restriction, but the spell list itself is not that significant for the most part. Consider, for a moment, that the bard class already provides a mixture of class spells and can add a few spells from any class. It blurs the lines - but as that is your goal inherently, it is fine.

It would be a minor benefit in my eyes, meaning that I'd give give the School of Divinity a different level 2 ability in addition to this one, although it would not be the strongest of level 2 wizard abilities.
A wizard has access to more than 300 spells while a bard has 150. Giving a wizard access to the cleric 120 spells, would make them quite flexible. You don’t feel it would step on cleric toes?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The only real problem with wizard having access to curative spells is the ''at-will'' 1st/2nd level spell from Spell Mastery, which means at-will cure wound/healing word. It could be problematic for pacing, but its a 18th level problem, so it will not be that common.
I think I'd probably change that to Intelligence bonus (or now, perhaps proficiency bonus) per long rest. It's what I did for the magic-user class I made that had access to all the spells.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
A wizard has access to more than 300 spells while a bard has 150. Giving a wizard access to the cleric 120 spells, would make them quite flexible. You don’t feel it would step on cleric toes?
I think opportunity cost is a big part of it not being an issue, but also, in this case, it might be a replacement for the cleric in which case it doesn't matter.

I'll try something here:

Wizard: Sage of Succor

2: Healer's Hands (lay on hand)
2: Healer's Lore: You learn your choice of Spare the Dying or Guidance. When you get to pick a new spell on level up you can replace one spell of the wizard with one from the cleric spell list, as long as the spell restores hit points or removes a condition.

6: Inspiring Succor: If you cast a spell with a spell slot of 1st level or higher and target an ally with the spell, pick one of the following effect:
  • That ally can use their reaction immediately after the spell to make one weapon attack against a creature of your choice that you can see.
  • You can also end one spell of your choice on that creature. The level of the spell you end must be equal to or lower than the level of the spell slot you use to cast the healing spell.
  • That ally gains 1/2 level temporary hit points. When a creature gains these temporary hit points, it can immediately use its reaction to move up to its speed, without provoking opportunity attacks.

You can use this features PB/long rest.

10: Knowledge of Life. You can add your Int mod to medicine checks. You can detect undeads and construct in a range 90' as an Action.

14: Shared Sacrifice:
When you cast a spell using a spell slot that deals damage to any number of creatures that aren't Undead or Constructs, choose one of the creatures that took damage. You drain an amount of life energy equal to half the damage dealt to the chosen creature. One creature other than yourself that you can see within 30 feet of you regains a number of hit points equal to the life energy drained.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
More questions as I can test this out with a 9th level one-shot.

1 With inspiring Succour, if I cast Bless and target 3 allies, do they all get the benefits.

2 Also, do I choose one of the 3 benefits when targeting an ally, or does an ally get get all 3

3 If it affects multiple people and if they benefit from only 1 boost, can I choose a different benefit for each or do they all have to take the same one.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
1 With inspiring Succour, if I cast Bless and target 3 allies, do they all get the benefits.
Sorry, I forgot to copy the rest of the feature (from the Order domain). Its only one ally, even if the spell targets more than one.

You choose only one of the effects.

I'd probably replace the 14th level feature (putting shared sacrifice at 10th?) to allow recovering one use of Inspiring succor when initiative is rolled.

In the past I thought about the "haruspex" as a spellcaster who could control the bodies, like the necromancer, but with living tissues. Could he heal? Yes, but by means of precrafted pommades and bandages. Do you rebember the flux adept prestige class?

prestigeDcFluxAdept.jpg

And the osteomancer?
prestigeDcOsteomancer.jpg

jgsugden

Legend
Yes, step on toes. However, you're trying to step on toes here. That is your goal. The question is whether it breaks the game and it does not.

The spell lists are designed primarily to give each class a feel. What you're attempting to do here is cross the feel of the wizard into cleric territory. It isn't really that hard to 'cross the beams' as it is - this is just a more efficient way of doing it.

I don't think it adds 'good flavor' to the game, so I would not be looking to add this to my setting - but if a player really wanted it I'd make it happen and would have NO balance concerns.

Remove ads