D&D 5E Bardlock vs Sorlock

Hey everyone!

So I’m getting ready to start a new campaign soon, and have narrowed my character down to two potential builds:

• 2 hexblade / X bard (probably lore, maybe swords)

• 2 hexblade / X sorcerer (probably clockwork, maybe divine soul - not really intending to abuse coffeelock cheese)

Both of these can fit very well into my characters backstory & flavor, I’m just looking for some insight into these two options and what I can expect from each one since I’ve yet to play any of these classes (no stranger to multi-classing though, and yes I am set on the hexblade dip)

What are advantages + disadvantages and if you’ve played either combo, what was your experience like?

Party composition is small as well, so I’m trying to help make up for our weaknesses.

We’ll have a divination wizard, an arcane trickster, and our DM will have a Paladin NPC baby to help round us out a bit further.

aco175

Legend
@Thoughtcandle welcome to the boards, hope you stay and find what you need.

My initial thoughts is to go bard and not sorcerer. You already have a wizard, even if divination and you could use more healing other than the paladin. I have never played one so I'm sure others would have great ideas.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If your hexlock is melee-focussed, you will want sword bard or dragon sorcerer. These provide other attributes (armor prof, HP) that you will need to keep going in combat.

Raith5

Adventurer
I played a Bard of the College of Swords and I did not have much fun. I did not find the character very effective in combat and did not like using inspiration to buff myself rather than the party.

I like College of Swords myself. There are some overlapping proficiencies but the fighting style, extra attack, mobility, and defensive/mobile flourish synergize well with the Hexblade. I wouldn't waste an inspiration on the slashing flourish but ymmv. I am also generally not a big fan of sorcerers so a bit of bias on my part.

In a nutshell, the bardlock has superior support while the sorlock has superior DPS, especially if you choose the quicken spell metamagic (which I recommend). I would also recommend the agonizing blast invocation.

In times past I would have said the bardlock is more flexible and versatile. But the arrival of the clockwork soul, aberrant mind and their bonus spells (including the ability to switch those spells out) makes me question that. Ten extra bonus spells known is A LOT.

On the other hand, the only healing your party has is the NPC paladin. Is that sufficient, especially when the paladin should ideally be using its spell slots for smiting? I'd be a bit nervous about that. A bardlock can cover the healing fine. The only way the sorlock can is by playing a divine soul and that means missing out on all the lovely bonus spells from the clockwork soul or aberrant mind.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Both are solid picks. More or less, the question is: do you want to be mostly a caster, but one that can mix it up in melee if needed? Or do you want to be a true generalist who can do pretty much anything?

Because Sorcerer will make you focused pretty heavily on being a spellcaster, even if you aren't using the "coffeelock" method, as you won't get Extra Attack (nor Lifedrinker.) Your main damage source will be eldritch blast (because I assume you're taking Agonizing Blast as one of your two Invocations), as 1d10+3 will be straight-up better than any other options you have. Divine Soul would let you moonlight in healing; Clockwork Soul or Aberrant Mind will help give you more diversity.

Bard, on the other hand, can either reinforce the caster in a clearly support role with Lore (letting you be an ultra-flexible caster, but still caster-focused), or make you the ultimate generalist. Your melee attacks will be comparable to eldritch blast until relatively high levels (1d8+2+Cha is slightly better than 1d10+Cha, but at level 11 you get three hits from eldritch blast, pulling it well ahead), you'll have some access to healing magic, and you'll be generally useful in all circumstances.

So, as others have said, the question becomes whether you want to be more like 80% caster, 20% melee fighter, or 50% caster, 50% melee fighter. And, if you do want to be 80% caster, do you want to be a utility-support caster (Lore Bard), or do you want to be a damage-dealing caster with soft support (Sorcerer.)

If your hexlock is melee-focussed, you will want sword bard or dragon sorcerer. These provide other attributes (armor prof, HP) that you will need to keep going in combat.
Since Hexblade already grants all proficiencies you'd get from Sword Bard, the core benefit is Extra Attack, though the Fighting Style (+2 one-handed damage, natch) is nice and Blade Flourish is...okay.

Hi, welcome the board.

The bardlock makes most sense to enhance the college of sword a tiny bit.

It then only really needs one level of warlock for quite while, since you will not really need agonizing blast to enhance your ranged attacks. The second level just pushes everything you want further away.

The sorlock is often feeling like a one trick pony for ranged attacks.

So what I would propose is just starting with warlock/hexblade 1 first and just look if you rather tend to melee or ranged attacks and then decide if you want to be bard or sorcerer.

Lorelock. And I would hit bard1 first so you have healing magic beyond lay on hands at 1st (and more starting skills). You are going to be the primary healer as the paladin is probably not going to have healing to spare. You can get the Aura of Vitality at 6th as a lorebard and that is a lot of healing for 1 bard spellslot. The other secret spell can fill in other gaps you have identified (pass without trace is a good option). It also gives you more skills so you can backstop the rogue. Cutting words is like another hex power, giving you a lot of debuff without spellslots.

Hexblade let's you be an effective warrior so you can save bard spellslots for healing or cases where you can eliminate multiple foes. Just keep in mind concentration spells won't last too long if you are mixing it up in melee.

jgsugden

Legend
If I were you, I'd start with 2 levels of Hexblade ... and then make the decision. You can drop hooks for both ideas into your backstory/origin and then decide which path to follow. If you're thinking of this as a melee PC, I would go Hexblade 5 and then multiclass. If you're primarily going to spam eldritch blast, then I would go with the sorcerer.

Either way - make sure you talk to your DM about your Pact as a Warlock and get your full roleplaying benefits from being a warlock. The best part of a warlock is the pact and the story options it provides.

Remove ads