Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Oh dear...)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One thing I didn't get - if Bruce Wayne has been Caped Crusading for twenty years, fighting the Joker, responding to Bat-Signals... why is he 'the Bat Vigilante in Gotham' who's newsworthy all of a sudden?

[sblock]Lex was manipulating Bats with those notes and stuff, and driving his paranoia up. As such, Bats was getting more violent; he was branding people. Even Alfred was disturbed, talking to Bruce about how Bruce's feelings of helplessness in the face of gods "drives good men... cruel".[/sblock]

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
[sblock]Lex was manipulating Bats with those notes and stuff, and driving his paranoia up. As such, Bats was getting more violent; he was branding people. Even Alfred was disturbed, talking to Bruce about how Bruce's feelings of helplessness in the face of gods "drives good men... cruel".[/sblock]

[sblock]Yeah, I thought Irons-as-Alfred was my high point of the film and could have used more :) But it seemed weird that even with the escalation, he was being treated like a new phenomenon, and didn't have a 'name', just the sort of description we usually expect during an origin story before the character has established himself in the public consciousness. I'd have expected the headline to be "Batman acting weird!" rather than "Unknown Bat-vigilante causing trouble!"[/sblock]

-Hyp.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'll start a spoiler thread. There's nothing I like less than an entire thread full of sblocks (which don't work on Tapatalk anyway). :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know about anyone else but in my own mind Gotham and Metropolis are Boston and New York, respectively.

Boston is *way* too small to be Metropolis.

I like Frank Miller's take on it. Gotham is New York City at night. Metropolis is NYC in the daytime.

For one of the DC RPGs, I think their atlas placed Gotham on the coast of the southern end of New Jersey, and Metropolis is in Delaware.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I always used to think Metropolis was New York and Gotham was Chicago for some reason. And there's Star City, National City, Central City, Coast City (I think). But I think they're actually both in New York State. I find them being close to each other kind of odd, too. I just never thought of them being close.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
earth1_dcu_east_coast-1024x691.jpg
New Adventures of Superboy” #22

Of course it does change with the writers although the New Jersey location of Gotham is almost canon (ie has been repeated a number of times).

New York itself also exists in the DC universe so having three New York sized cities in New York state seems a bit like overkill (even more so than having all three of the same Coast)

Remove ads