Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Oh dear...)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
He did not seem to share that view. "Worst on-screen portrayal of Batman since Clooney."

...but I also think he hates Afflek.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
He did not seem to share that view. "Worst on-screen of Batman since Clooney."

Why do we care what some bloke you saw on another message board said? I saw someone on another message board say Einstein got it all wrong, but I'm not going to enter that into evidence.

I'd care what *you* thought, Danny. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Why do we care?

Communicating is what people do. If we didn't care, critics wouldn't have a job. Spies, either. And people wouldn't gossip. Etc. and from those flawed sources, we make flawed judgements.

What it comes down to is gathering data and sorting it through your own filters. Nobody- no critic, no buddy, no dööd howling in the wilds of the Interwebz- can tell you if you will enjoy a particular film. All they can do is tell you what they observed and how they felt about it. It's up to you to to decide whether what they describe increases or decreases your desire to see a film.

So why did I bring up that guy on another board? Just to illustrate that it isn't just the critics giving BvS a resounding raspberry of a review.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why do we care?

Communicating is what people do. If we didn't care, critics wouldn't have a job. Spies, either. And people wouldn't gossip. Etc. and from those flawed sources, we make flawed judgements.

What it comes down to is gathering data and sorting it through your own filters. Nobody- no critic, no buddy, no dööd howling in the wilds of the Interwebz- can tell you if you will enjoy a particular film. All they can do is tell you what they observed and how they felt about it. It's up to you to to decide whether what they describe increases or decreases your desire to see a film.

So why did I bring up that guy on another board? Just to illustrate that it isn't just the critics giving BvS a resounding raspberry of a review.

Oh. Well a guy on Twitter said he liked it. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

And, also, to be honest, he said it in a clever way, which is a selling point for the written piece, if not the opinion behind it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice pulled in over $27 million Thursday night, for the seventh best opening preview in history. Its looking at $172 million over Easter in the US, making it the No. 4 opening of a comic book adaptation and the No. 6 opening for any film. It’s also earned an estimated $115.2 million outside the U.S.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-batman-v-superman-877979

so its bringing in audiences despite the critics

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
so its bringing in audiences despite the critics

I think there's some number of people who read critics, but I don't suspect the critics have much impact on attendance for large properties.

This is part of why we see so many movies with known characters - they are known to sell, whatever the content is reported to be. People will go to see it *because* it is bad, even.

Remove ads