• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Oh dear...)

horacethegrey

First Post
I find some irony here, because BvS is supposed to be heavily inspired/influenced by the Frank Miller graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns. With TDKR as the inspiration for the film, you'd think Snyder would be as much a fit for it as he was for 300.
The Dark Knight Returns is completely the wrong material to take inspiration from. For one, it's a future storyline that focuses on a much older Batman. The conflict there between Supes and Bats has some emotional weight because of their shared history together, whereas Dawn of Justice is supposed to be their first meeting. And lastly, DKR is solely focused on Batman. But this movie is supposed to be about both characters, so taking inspiration from a story that heavily biased on one character's side seems to run counter to that notion.

Anyway, Rotten update is now at 30%. **** you Snyder.

MechaPilot

Explorer
The Dark Knight Returns is completely the wrong material to take inspiration from. For one, it's a future storyline that focuses on a much older Batman. The conflict there between Supes and Bats has some emotional weight because of their shared history together, whereas Dawn of Justice is supposed to be their first meeting. And lastly, DKR is solely focused on Batman. But this movie is supposed to be about both characters, so taking inspiration from a story that heavily biased on one character's side seems to run counter to that notion.

We can debate which stories should have been used for inspiration for the film till the cows come home, but I really don't have any interest in that: frankly, I'd have to Google most of the stories you'd mention, because while I love superheroes and have gotten into certain superhero comics, I've only read a handful of Batman comics.

I was just pointing out the irony in your statement that you thought Snyder's style fit with a movie adaptation of a Frank Miller graphic novel, but you didn't think his style was a good fit for BvS, which by all accounts was inspired by TDKR, a Frank Miller work.

**** Rotten Tomotaoes.

ccs

41st lv DM
Wow, that could have been..... alot better.
(Could've been worse too.)

The best parts? The batmobile, Wonder Woman, and a BM vs mercenary fight.
The worst? Jessie Eisenberg as Luthor & his rediculous plot & personality.
The next worse? Several:
•Retelling BM origin - again. And then several flashbacks & scenes involving it. I'll assume it's there to club a certain bit of info into the heads of general audience members prior to it being important later. But it's overkill. Comic fans know it. General audience has thier time wasted after a point.
•Batman's vision of the future. Ugh. Such a heavy handed club to set up JL.
•An almost random scene with Kevin Costner in it - to show SMs inner dialogue.
●Superman can hear when Lois is mortal danger. And can reach her in the space of several seconds, once hearing & flying from Kansas to Metropolis. He demonstrates this 3 times!
OK, fine.
But he doesn't notice when his mother really needs him. And he doesnt think to let BM know "hey, when your butler talks to you, I CAN HEAR IT. So you guys find mom & just mention it. 10 seconds later? She'll be safe." This does however set up that really good BM vs mercs fight I mentioned.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But we're talking about whether we think we'll like the film or not.

Because topic drift can't happen? I was addressing the question of whether there's such a thing as "mistakes" in artistic choices, and how different forms of art may be considered to have different measures. You know, being all cerebral and stuff.

Joker said:
Who won? Who's next? You decide!

Is anyone else struck by the irony of a user named "Joker" being gleeful in a Batman v Superman thread?

But, to answer the question, I don't think there's much of a context here where I "win". Thankfully, I am not in this to "win" so that's not an issue. :)

Remove ads