Battle Cleric Options is up

Colmarr

First Post
Here.

If only I was still a subscriber, cause it sounds interesting:

This article introduces a new set of powers tailored for Strength clerics, aka battle clerics, along with an optional class feature, Battle Cleric’s Lore, which a cleric can take in place of Healer’s Lore.

The encounter attack powers presented in this article focus on two general paths. Both paths augment the cleric’s weapons, granting an attack or a damage bonus as part of the power’s effects.

In addition, some powers focus on shutting down an enemy’s attacks, forcing it to seek a more peaceful path or pay the consequences. Battle clerics have a saying that best describes this strategy: “When words of wisdom fail, a stout blow to the head will have to suffice.”

The other set of powers serves the battle cleric as a war leader. These prayers make your enemies more vulnerable to your allies’ attacks.

So, is it as interesting as it sounds?

Larrin

Entropic Good
Its very interesting. Its also useful, so thats good too.

battle lore give a +2 shield bonus to ac only, and scale proficiency, and when you heal the target get a +2 attack.

It gives two paths, each with an at will (which are colored red like encounters, but say at will, watch for this :p ) one encounter per level you get encounters and encorages simple weapons.

Path one requires simple weapons and give a +2 to damge when you hold in in both hands, these powers tend to make you/r allies have better attacks.

edit: Path 1 also tends to give str+1 Vs AC on attacks, and for example allows attacking the lowest defense as an effect

Path two give +1d6 damage when using simple weapons, and seems to be more about disrupting foes attacks, or protecting people.

edit: Path 2 example target does half damage on next attack, as an effect.

The retraining choices are more or less upgrades to previous powers, i think

PP has features with options (ie you have two choices what to do when you s[pend an AP) and several ways to make basic attacks as a minor action.

I like its style, it feels about right, but also shiny and powerful.

Last edited:

Incenjucar

Legend
Has the simple weapon mechanic been used before? Gotta say that I like it. Opens up new possible builds that would otherwise go neglected for the standard superior weapon fare.

interwyrm

First Post
Has the simple weapon mechanic been used before? Gotta say that I like it. Opens up new possible builds that would otherwise go neglected for the standard superior weapon fare.

Yeah, charop is whinging about it. Maybe, just *maybe* simple weapons will get used once in a while now.

Neverfate

First Post
The at-wills don't scale at epic. Why is this so hard for wizards to consistently get right in Dragon?

Maybe Mearls is just trolling us. Either way, I'm sure this will corrected before the next DDI update

@Incenjucar Off hand I can't think of any 4E class that has gotten a simple-weapon-focus treatment. This does give some nice alternatives seeing as people will be more comfortable staying with-in the theme of the no-sharp-object-cleric before grabbing the bastard sword (but the sword options are there if people want them!).

Last edited:

Colmarr

First Post
battle lore give a +2 shield bonus to ac only, and scale proficiency

This is a very interesting way of subtly guiding battle clerics towards 2h weapons.

The +2 shield bonus makes shields irrelevant for AC, and the free scale proficiency frees up a feat for use on Lightning Reflexes (or whatever the suped-up Essentials version is).

From the sound of it, this article gives battle clerics the option of surrending the cleric's mantle as 'healer supreme' in return for getting a lot of new offensive options.

Nice.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I don't particularly like clerics or divine classes in general, and I particularly had no use for the Strength cleric build, but I have to say - good article!

It does what articles like this should do - it (almost) makes me want to play one, even though I don't like them.

Obryn

Hero
I absolutely love that any melee class now has a reason to use Simple weapons. It's flavorful and awesome.

All around, this article seems to re-buff clerics, in a way that makes them better actual leaders. Bye-bye, Divine Fortune! Bye-bye Priest's Shield! Hell, I don't know why most Clerics would take Healer's Lore at all now.

-O

Remove ads