D&D 5E Battle Domain, Shock Arcanist, Darkweaver & Mountaineer Archetypes feedback wanted

Myzzrym

Explorer
Hey there folks!

I've just added 4 Archetypes from Solasta: Crown of the Magister on D&D Beyond Homebrew: Homebrew Subclasses for Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) Fifth Edition (5e) - D&D Beyond

Would love to get some feedback from you veterans (and not so veterans) out there, see what you think about it. Most features were brainstormed with video game restrictions in mind (since Solasta is a computer game), so there might be some stuff that just doesn't quite work out on Tabletop that we want to single out.

The classes are:
  • Battle Domain (Cleric), which focuses more on the martial side of Clerics
  • Shock Arcanist (Wizard), an order of mage dedicated to warfare
  • Darkweaver (Rogue), a rogue archetype that takes advantage of the high grounds
  • Mountaineer (Fighter), a type of light / medium armor fighter who fights better in tight spaces

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
Hey there folks!

I've just added 4 Archetypes from Solasta: Crown of the Magister on D&D Beyond Homebrew: Homebrew Subclasses for Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) Fifth Edition (5e) - D&D Beyond

Would love to get some feedback from you veterans (and not so veterans) out there, see what you think about it. Most features were brainstormed with video game restrictions in mind (since Solasta is a computer game), so there might be some stuff that just doesn't quite work out on Tabletop that we want to single out.

The classes are:
  • Darkweaver (Rogue), a rogue archetype that takes advantage of the high grounds
  • Mountaineer (Fighter), a type of light / medium armor fighter who fights better in tight spaces

I'll take a look! I'm, looking at the Mountaineer ('cause I had a similar concept in mind recently) right now and I'll look at others later. Some notes...

Tunnel Fighter: Is there a reason it limits to light and medium armors? Also I would probably word it like this "When wearing medium or light armour and wielding a shield, if you are within five feet of a wall, you gain an a +2 bonus to AC. The wall must be at least 5 feet tall and at least 5 feet of length must be within 5 feet of you" so it works better on table top.

7th level is normally a ribbon ability and not a combat one. I think Tunnel Home should be the Ribbon Ability. It's pretty weak otherwise.

Level 10 should then be

Traverse: Wording is a bit off again... I think it would be something like "When wielding a shield, you can spend a bonus action to allow you to move through an area occupied by opponents until the end of the turn. Areas occupied by opponents are treated as difficult terrain. If you do so, the creature must succeed a dexterity saving throw, if they do not: one ally within 5 feat of the creature can spend a reaction to make an attack against the creature. You can only move through each creature's area once per turn." This way you're not moving with the bonus, BUT you get to do it multiple time if you have multiple enemies in close proximity. I think the balance would work for lv 10.

Shield Bash: Since this is an At-Will Stun I think it makes more sense as the lv 15 ability, since you can't run out of it the same way you would a Stunning Strike. Plus it uses your main ability score. To make it better at that level I would grant the Mountaineer the ability to shove creatures 2 size larger than him instead of just 1 size! Also you don't need to mention the Shield Bash feature since it's not an action but I would mention wielding a shield.

Last edited:

Myzzrym

Explorer
An interesting take! It makes sense that Traverse should word it so the "attack of opportunity" save is what costs the bonus action, not the actual moving through enemy tile thing.

I do also agree that Shield Bash looks quite powerful like this since it's unlimited. The "shove 2 sizes larger" also makes sense since at higher level you often end up fighting bigger monsters.

As for Tunnel Fighter, we wanted to have a Fighter who focuses on mobility, and there are few archetypes that give Fighters a good reason to go medium armor instead of dumping dex and going full plate. It kind of goes against the idea of the nimble fighter moving around the battlefield creating opportunities for allies to strike by distracting foes.

Larrin

Entropic Good
Are we critiquing them on how they would be at the table or how they would be in a video game? For a video game, I feel like there is a lot more acceptability in power discrepancy from standard subclasses, but if this is for a tabletop Solasta product then I'll keep in mind how it compares to phb subclasses a bit more tightly. At first pass they look great for a video with the limitations inherent therein, but would likely overshadow standard phb subclasses in a normal table top game, but I'm interested in clarification before I dive into details.

Myzzrym

Explorer
So they are first and foremost thought for video game. However, we're also working on a Rulebook - which will have some differences from the video game for balancing reasons (like the Darkweaver being invisible when he doesn't move, and it doesn't work in combat? That's just video game, on Tabletop that's just a much weaker Shadow Monk feature), so if you have feedback for Tabletop please don't hesitate!

Undrave

Legend
So they are first and foremost thought for video game. However, we're also working on a Rulebook - which will have some differences from the video game for balancing reasons (like the Darkweaver being invisible when he doesn't move, and it doesn't work in combat? That's just video game, on Tabletop that's just a much weaker Shadow Monk feature), so if you have feedback for Tabletop please don't hesitate!

Good then, I was mostly working on the Tabletop angle. Some of these feature make a lot of sense in a tactical RPG type of game (like being beside a wall and the use of spaces). I've taken a quick look at the Darkweaver and so far I think you need to work out interactions with the Cunning Action and Sneak Attack features to really make it feel Rogue-ish.

Undrave

Legend
Hey there folks!

The classes are:

Okay so some notes.

Battle Domain Cleric : How come no Heavy Armor proficiency to go with the Martial Weapons?

I don't know about Flaming Sphere as a domain spell, I feel like one of the Paladin's Smite spell would have been a better fit if they're supposed to be Weapon masters. I'm not sure about Insect Plague and the 'battle' theme but it's beyond my experience.

Divine Fortitude should just be something that happens automatically when you finish a long rest I feel. You just always start the day with those Temp HP. It doesn't really matter if you lose them later or now so I think just cuttng the part where they go away at a Short Rest would keep needless book keeping away. You don't need to specific they run out at the end of a long rest since that's the default rule and they would be replaced anyway.

Decisive Strike is too strong in table top format because of how powerful Stun is. Note that the target will have disadvantage on subsequent saves due to the effect of the Stun condition. And there's the fact that it's Stun at level 2. The extra damage scaling should be worded differently and just outright state at what level it increases, the same way they do for Cantrips. Maybe trade the Stun for an auto crit instead (se Darkweaver)

Zealot of Battle feels like it should include a third attack at like Lv 15 or something.

Shock Arcanist Wizard : The War List is an interesting idea and the boost is certainly potent, but as I am not a Wizard player I can't tell how powerful it is. I would certainly not allow a Wizard to 'virtually upcast' to a level they can't normally cast though. That seems too strong. Maybe take a page from the School Wizards and give a GP rebate to copying spells from the War List?

You could easily future-proof your War List by simply replacing it by the qualifier 'Spell with a Level' and 'Spell with an Attack Roll' and focus on that for your mechanics. Add features that boost spells attack rolls and damage rolls and stuff. But I suppose you would want to keep Magic Missile in there too...

As an aside it would be neat to see a Wizard subclass that really specializes their offensive capabilities on Magic Missile and have features to boost it (similar to Eldritch Blast boosting Invocatons for the Warlock). A sort of Artilerist Wizard?

Arcane Fury is a bit weird. Especially the way it interacts with multiple targets. Maybe it should be limited to like "One creature you damaged this turn" instead? Maybe make it a Bonus Action? Just spitballing here.

Arcane Shock feels like the CORE of the subclass but it only appears at level 10. I feel like it should be introduced earlier with only the lower level available at first and the more devastating version unlocking until level 10. You should also get more uses later on.

Magister's Wrath is pretty weird because the 'Arcane Spellcaster' term is NOT a formal descriptor in the rules and will lead to arguments. I think you could simply specify "Can cast a Spell from the War List' to keep it simple and not cause too much ambiguity. I'm not quite sure on the fluff of how it even works though.

Also this subclass should gain proficiency in Constitution saves at some point or no one will risk the Arcane Shock feature.

Darkweaver Rogue
: I would suggest instead of Advantage on Athletics, grant them advantage on ANY ability checks made while climbing. Could come in handy.

I think that instead of granting extra damage, you should simply like them use their Sneak Attack when attacking with a ranged weapon from Above. Synergize with the class features a bit.

Similarly, the ability to apply poison to a weapon as a Bonus Action as part of Cunning Action would do wonders for this subclass.

Spider Fall being a critical hit is a bit boring, plus you're already increasing your crit chance by attacking with advantage. I think NOW would be a good point to put in that Stun you love so much ;) Give the auto-crit to the Domain Cleric. It would be more useful to a Rogue since it would let you get off another Sneak Attack on the following turn.

The Poison and Web stuff is a bit weird and feels like it comes out of nowhere. Why have the Poison Kit proficiency if you just get Poison Damage for free. Where is that Spider web from? Spider-man-ing it up is cool but confusing to write rules for in a tabletop format.

Shadowy could, instead of mentionning outside of combat and making you outright invisible, give you a massive bonus to stealth if you didn't move (or take any action really) for X amount of time.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I'm also a backer of the game and already looked at these once. I didn't manage to play much of the demo, sadly, but enjoyed what I had seen. Video games and TT are different experiences, though, so a few of my thoughts.

Battle Domain

Divine Fortitude being a CD-limited power and also limited to once-per-LR feels rough. Could maybe lower the number of temps gained in some way then allow it to just be CD. I don't think there's any official CDs that are limited like this. It's also kind of boring. Alternatively, make this ability something that is not CD but is limited to once-per-LR. I wouldn't deplete them on a SR, either (they automatically deplete on LR anyway). It's at least already a choice between a strong hit with a condition and THP, so you're not actually likely to use it every short rest.

I love Zealot of Battle. I wish WOTC had done this instead of what they currently have for melee clerics.

Darkweaver

Predator. I think it would be fine to let this work for any attacks, not just ranged.

I think the flavor of "you're basically a spider-person" doesn't come across in the lower level features. Maybe the climbing feature should just flat out give a climb speed equal to movement speed, or half. A higher level feature could then up that to full speed or spider-climb.

I'd also like more focus on the poison without having to make a choice. The text you have says they are about poison yet the only poison-based feature is limited to an exclusive option. One option is to make Predator poison damage.

Mountaineer

Traverse needs to be a good bit wordier in TT rules. I rather like the concept, though. Tunnel fighter likely needs to have more explanation to make only orthogonal walls work. Shield Charge feels like it should either be limited or a higher level. Tunnel Home feels like it should be quite a bit earlier, probably 7.

Shock Arcanist

Arcane Warfare is interesting. I'm not sure if this should work every time you cast the spells, or if there should be a limited times per day, maybe Int times a day. I'd also expand the spells that are in there, or have a clear statement about expanding them with your DM or some such.

Arcane Shock feels like a really strong cleric CD specifically for spellcasting. I don't know that it has to be once-per-LR. Maybe once-per-SR would be fine, maybe.

I don't like Magister's Wrath. I don't like it referring to other arcane spellcasters (I don't think this is defined anywhere in 5E). It relies on other arcane spellcasters being in the party, which is not uncommon but still.

Reading back through the thread, I also agree with the class getting Con save prof at some point. It fits well enough.

Undrave

Legend
Hey there folks!

The classes are:

Just had an idea! Why don't you give the Darkweaver proficiency with the Net and make their nets harder to escape? It's one of those weird weapons nobody ever really use becaue it's pretty weak, but you could make it that class' specialty! Throw in some unorthodox Sneak Attack interaction along the line of "you roll for sneak attack damage, but instead of inflicting damage the damage becomes the DC to escape your net" now that would be formidable!

Remove ads